There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Earl Thomas vs Taylor Mays

Originally posted by gilwankel:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Sounds like Thomas is returning to Texas next year.

Where are you hearing that, I haven't heard of him saying anything. Regardless, I'll wait until after the NCG to see what he says. We thought VY was coming back to before that game. If Thomas goes off, and against that QB he easily could pick off a few, score a TD, it's bye bye Earl.

Yeah who knows what he will do but OTC quoted this in another thread:

Quote:
Texas safety Earl Thomas will return for his junior season next year and not leave early for the NFL, he said Tuesday night. Thomas, who is a third-year sophomore and therefore eligible for the NFL draft, said he hadn’t given the idea any thought because he and his teammates are focused on the Big 12 football championship game against Nebraska on Saturday. He was voted to the All-Big 12 first team by the league coaches on Tuesday. Asked he was planning on coming back next year, Thomas said, “Yes, sir.” Asked if he thought another collegiate season would help him prepare for the next level, he said, “Yes, sir.” Thomas said he has not discussed any NFL plans with either his position coach, Duane Akina, or Mack Brown, but the head coach said the Texas staff files the paperwork to determine the draft value of all the Longhorn players who are eligible for the draft. - Kirk Bohls, The Austin American-Statesman

Here's the only thing I've seen. LINK

But there's plenty of time for him to change his mind...
who is Earl Thomas? do you have any video? I just wanna see it..
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:

Where are you hearing that, I haven't heard of him saying anything. Regardless, I'll wait until after the NCG to see what he says. We thought VY was coming back to before that game. If Thomas goes off, and against that QB he easily could pick off a few, score a TD, it's bye bye Earl.

Quote:
Texas safety Earl Thomas will return for his junior season next year and not leave early for the NFL, he said Tuesday night. Thomas, who is a third-year sophomore and therefore eligible for the NFL draft, said he hadn’t given the idea any thought because he and his teammates are focused on the Big 12 football championship game against Nebraska on Saturday. He was voted to the All-Big 12 first team by the league coaches on Tuesday. Asked he was planning on coming back next year, Thomas said, “Yes, sir.” Asked if he thought another collegiate season would help him prepare for the next level, he said, “Yes, sir.” Thomas said he has not discussed any NFL plans with either his position coach, Duane Akina, or Mack Brown, but the head coach said the Texas staff files the paperwork to determine the draft value of all the Longhorn players who are eligible for the draft. - Kirk Bohls, The Austin American-Statesman

Oh, he's coming out all right: http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/12/09/texas-could-lose-earl-thomas-to-nfl/

Although Thomas said last week that he planned to return next season, he changed his tune Wednesday night after arriving in Orlando for Thursday's College Football Awards show.

He is one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the best defensive back in college football. The other finalists are Eric Berry of Tennessee and Joe Haden of Florida.

Thomas is a third-year sophomore, who is draft eligible and finishing a better-than-expected season that has propelled him up the mock draft boards.

"Obviously, you come to college to put yourself in position to make money. If I'm projected (in the draft) where I want to be projected, I'll go forward and try to play on Sundays (in the NFL),'' he said. "I'll just have to see how my grade report comes back. Yes, I'm hearing good things.''

The status of Thomas has been rising in the last few weeks, and he has been projected as a late first-round pick on some of the draft boards.

He said Wednesday that a first-round projection likely would prompt him to leave school. He also said a second-round or later projection likely would keep him in school another year.

The loss of Thomas would be blow to the defense plans of the Longhorns and somewhat of a surprise to the coaching staff, who had expected him back.

Going into the national championship game, Thomas has recorded 71 tackles and eight interceptions, with two returned for touchdowns. Scouts have projected him at both safety and cornerback.

"Everyone wants to leave on top, and we've got the chance to do that now. We're ready for the big stage,'' he said. "I don't have any doubts that I can succeed (in the NFL). It's just about where I would fall in the equation. It's not something I really want to talk about now until after the game. But it's out there.''
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Earl Thomas runs a fast 40, he could be the second Safety taken, actually I think he will be the second Safety taken. After watching Taylor Mays and USC this year, I have to agree with some posters on this board, he is not a FS in the NFL. But I think Mays would fit as a SS with our defense.
TX9R - I figured that would happen once he got his projected draft grade from the NFL committee.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
TX9R - I figured that would happen once he got his projected draft grade from the NFL committee.

Since I'm pretty sure the Niners won't draft him...this sucks. Until VY, we had a great track redord of guys coming back for their Sr year. I think a lot of this has to do with the CBA and rookie cap coming. Which may have the opposite effect on next year's draft, meaning less underclassmen coming out in hopes of improving their stock for 2011. Which is great because that screws the Pats on the Seymour deal.

Since I'm pretty sure the Niners won't draft him...this sucks. Until VY, we had a great track redord of guys coming back for their Sr year. I think a lot of this has to do with the CBA and rookie cap coming. Which may have the opposite effect on next year's draft, meaning less underclassmen coming out in hopes of improving their stock for 2011. Which is great because that screws the Pats on the Seymour deal.

I don't know. Scotty does love his texas DB's.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

Considering the track record of Texas DBs in the last decade it's not a bad way to go. It's been Secondary U for some time now. But I'd be surprised if Thomas goes in the top 15, again, unless he just blows up Bama.

Quote:

Oh, he's coming out all right: http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/12/09/texas-could-lose-earl-thomas-to-nfl/

Although Thomas said last week that he planned to return next season, he changed his tune Wednesday night after arriving in Orlando for Thursday's College Football Awards show.

He is one of three finalists for the Jim Thorpe Award, given annually to the best defensive back in college football. The other finalists are Eric Berry of Tennessee and Joe Haden of Florida.

Thomas is a third-year sophomore, who is draft eligible and finishing a better-than-expected season that has propelled him up the mock draft boards.

"Obviously, you come to college to put yourself in position to make money. If I'm projected (in the draft) where I want to be projected, I'll go forward and try to play on Sundays (in the NFL),'' he said. "I'll just have to see how my grade report comes back. Yes, I'm hearing good things.''

The status of Thomas has been rising in the last few weeks, and he has been projected as a late first-round pick on some of the draft boards.

He said Wednesday that a first-round projection likely would prompt him to leave school. He also said a second-round or later projection likely would keep him in school another year.

The loss of Thomas would be blow to the defense plans of the Longhorns and somewhat of a surprise to the coaching staff, who had expected him back.

Going into the national championship game, Thomas has recorded 71 tackles and eight interceptions, with two returned for touchdowns. Scouts have projected him at both safety and cornerback.

"Everyone wants to leave on top, and we've got the chance to do that now. We're ready for the big stage,'' he said. "I don't have any doubts that I can succeed (in the NFL). It's just about where I would fall in the equation. It's not something I really want to talk about now until after the game. But it's out there.''

OH YEAH! We have a chance to get our ball hawking safety. Trust me when I said Mays aint it. Earl Thomas all the way
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

Considering the track record of Texas DBs in the last decade it's not a bad way to go. It's been Secondary U for some time now. But I'd be surprised if Thomas goes in the top 15, again, unless he just blows up Bama.

With the school he comes from, if he posts good times, I wouldn't be suprised if he was to go early in the 1st.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
isnt earl thomas the dude crabtree shook off to score that TD last year?
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
isnt earl thomas the dude crabtree shook off to score that TD last year?

No that was no. 3 not 12! But he was involved in that play and to me it looked like he just gave up on the play.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Taylor Mays has looked bad because of so many wholes in the USC defense. Its hard for a Safety to look good in a bad defense. But I would judge him in that instead of getting the turn over he is focus on making game changing hits. I like a ball hawk myself, turnovers are needed in the 49ers defense
Originally posted by tmg808:
Taylor Mays has looked bad because of so many wholes in the USC defense. Its hard for a Safety to look good in a bad defense. But I would judge him in that instead of getting the turn over he is focus on making game changing hits. I like a ball hawk myself, turnovers are needed in the 49ers defense

Taylor Mays has never been good. This is the classic case of an overhyped workout warrior type of player. He isn't even that great in run support. I noticed last year when they played Oregon State that he is frequently out of position. This year the pass rush isn't what it was and the linebackers aren't what they were and it's exposed his weaknesses. He doesn't even belong in the 1st round.

Bottom line: if Eric Berry is not there we do not use a first round pick on a safety and take Nate Allen who is a better fit for our defense than both Thomas and Mays by far.