There are 258 users in the forums

Should We Tank?

Should We Tank?

• Ether
  • Veteran
Look, to be perfectly honest... at this point we have a 5% chance of making the Playoffs. And if we squeak into the Playoffs, how proud would we be as fans if we get blown out in the Wild Card by deserving teams?

We sit at 5 wins right now, as do the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers likely won't win another game, as their remaining schedule is the Patriots, Saints, Giants and Vikings. The 49ers have a chance to win all 4 of their remaining games, but once again how much can we gloat if we lose 42-0 in the Wild Card?

Im thinking we tank this season. If we finish 5-11 and the Panthers finish 5-11, that all but guarantees us two Top 7 picks. This gives us plenty of possibilities, whether we want to trade up to get a player (Suh anyone?), trade down with one of our picks for better value (Spiller at 10 or so would save the 49ers a lot of cap room) or stay put and get any BPA sitting there.

I think tanking now and getting two impact players with two Top 10 Picks is better for a team on the verge of making serious noise in the Playofs instead of getting a Top 10 pick and a Mid-Teens pick if we end up goin 9-7.
We aren't making the playoffs either way but I don't really want to see this team tank. But maybe we should give more time to younger players like Reggie Smith to see if they can play or not. But I want to see us beat the Cards at least, and it's almost impossible to lose to the Lions and Rams. My guess is we finish 7-9.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
We aren't making the playoffs either way but I don't really want to see this team tank. But maybe we should give more time to younger players like Reggie Smith to see if they can play or not. But I want to see us beat the Cards at least, and it's almost impossible to lose to the Lions and Rams. My guess is we finish 7-9.

I'd tend to agree, but what do we have left in the season? No Playoffs as you said. Pride? 7 straight losing seasons tends to mean we HAVE no pride to boast. It'll be a difficult task losing to the Rams and Lions... but I think this team is perfectly capable.
Originally posted by Ether:

I'd tend to agree, but what do we have left in the season? No Playoffs as you said. Pride? 7 straight losing seasons tends to mean we HAVE no pride to boast. It'll be a difficult task losing to the Rams and Lions... but I think this team is perfectly capable.

I know what you mean. I just want to see this team beat the Tards cuz I hate them. But if we lose to them anyway, and it's the difference between Eric Berry and Taylor Mays, or being able to trade back and get an extra 2nd, sure why not I guess?
Originally posted by Ether:

Lol
but then every1 will say alex sucks
YES ERIC BERRY
NO!!! Let Carolina Tank for US!!!!
Obviously no coach is going to ask players to ease up as a means to help the team better it's draft postion for prospects that could push current players down the depth chart or off the roster. So if management seriously was considering this, the only real way to do it would be to direct Singletary to play as many youngsters as possible, in which case I'd bet Singletary and the franchise would lose the team in a heartbeat.

If it was one game that decided the #1 overall pick . . . maybe . . . otherwise the idea of tanking multiple games for draft position is silly.
i think the thought of two top 10 draft pick rookies has to be sickening to the front office that has to pay these kids. i dont think we tank. the players are still trying to make a good impression and earn more money later on, if anyone is gonna tank its the coaches with s**tty play calling, but thats nothing we havent been exposed to before

Should we be Frank.

LOL at this thread... you guys never cease to amaze me.....
hell no. let's finish the season 9-7 ! let's hope carolina tanks for us
Originally posted by King49er:

Yeah lets start breeding loosers. It is bad enough that this team has not been able to win for the last 8 years, they are now purposely loosing games.

I can understand getting the younger guys reps, but make them at least earn it.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by King49er:

Yeah lets start breeding loosers. It is bad enough that this team has not been able to win for the last 8 years, they are now purposely loosing games.

I can understand getting the younger guys reps, but make them at least earn it.

Reminds me of the end of the season before the Reggie Bush draft!!
Share 49ersWebzone