LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

GOLDEN TATE

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Golden Tate will make a name for himself in the nfl for sure.

but LOL at 3:20, someone better catch him

That was the Michigan State band that he jumps into not the ND band, thus why no one caught him!

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Overrated. We don't need him. We have bigger needs.

Please explain why you think he is overrated ? As far as him filling a need for us, he does. We lack a true vertical threat at WR (and he brings speed to a team that doesn't have a whole lot of that on offense) and going forward we don't have a WR who has really and truly laid a claim to the #2 WR spot. Tate also can fill the void of a KR/PR on this team from day 1 and bring another playmaker to this team.

Giving Alex Smith better weapons to work with in a spread style offense would be ideal if we want to play to our QB's strengths instead of trying to make the QB fit the system.

Because Domniquie Ziegler, Brandon Jones, and Jost Morgan are all future HOFers.

They just need time to develop BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Golden Tate would be a valuable asset to the WR core. He brings a sense of physicality to the position, and has outstanding the speed.

His height concerns me a bit though. I would prefer someone who had 6-3, 6-4 height at the position.

For sure, as others mentioned, he needs to improve his pass catching skills. Letting the ball come to you and your chest may produce more turnovers.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Golden Tate will make a name for himself in the nfl for sure.

but LOL at 3:20, someone better catch him

That was the Michigan State band that he jumps into not the ND band, thus why no one caught him!

Originally posted by bigmike55:
Overrated. We don't need him. We have bigger needs.

Please explain why you think he is overrated ? As far as him filling a need for us, he does. We lack a true vertical threat at WR (and he brings speed to a team that doesn't have a whole lot of that on offense) and going forward we don't have a WR who has really and truly laid a claim to the #2 WR spot. Tate also can fill the void of a KR/PR on this team from day 1 and bring another playmaker to this team.

Giving Alex Smith better weapons to work with in a spread style offense would be ideal if we want to play to our QB's strengths instead of trying to make the QB fit the system.

Because Domniquie Ziegler, Brandon Jones, and Jost Morgan are all future HOFers.

They just need time to develop BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Golden Tate would be a valuable asset to the WR core. He brings a sense of physicality to the position, and has outstanding the speed.

His height concerns me a bit though. I would prefer someone who had 6-3, 6-4 height at the position.

For sure, as others mentioned, he needs to improve his pass catching skills. Letting the ball come to you and your chest may produce more turnovers.

And with us having a stickler for details as our WR coach, that would be the first thing he'd be getting Tate to work on. If we could address the OL and add another pass rusher to go along with Tate (add 1-2 more OL via FA) that would be a very successful first day of the draft.

A lot of posters here will probably say we are fine at WR but that is not the case from my perspective. And adding a talent like Tate should push Morgan and Hill and bring out the best in everyone. As you already know competition is a good thing and having a surplus of offensive weapons for the passing game would help the offense go a long way of we want to continue with a spread approach, so long as we can improve the OL to give Smith time in the pocket.
You can put him at running back and he can catch that seam down the field; remember Ricky running Watters in SuperBowl 29?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Still holding out for Golden Tate to be selected by us whether it's at 16/17 or via a trade down slightly. He brings 2 things we need to the table in speed at the WR position and return ability. He possesses versatility which is something Scot has shown a penchant for and IMO it's much easier to find a speed back in the mid to late rounds that can be a contributor early on than it is to find a WR with speed who can do the same.

I'm also not sold on Spiller being worthy of going in the top 15-20. He could be similar to Chris Johnson or he could be the next John Avery.

Still holding out for Golden Tate to be selected by us whether it's at 16/17 or via a trade down slightly. He brings 2 things we need to the table in speed at the WR position and return ability. He possesses versatility which is something Scot has shown a penchant for and IMO it's much easier to find a speed back in the mid to late rounds that can be a contributor early on than it is to find a WR with speed who can do the same.

I'm also not sold on Spiller being worthy of going in the top 15-20. He could be similar to Chris Johnson or he could be the next John Avery.

As much as i hate spiller he is more worthy of going in the top 15-20 than tate is.

Tate can be had in the 2nd round, no need to reach for him in the first
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

As much as i hate spiller he is more worthy of going in the top 15-20 than tate is.

Can be had in the 2nd? That's crazy talk. 2nd WR off the board. My Prediction #21 to New England.
I'd love to nab one of the following by the end of the 2nd round:

Spiller
Tate
Gilyard
Best
McCluster

. . . or maybe Jacoby Ford in the 3rd.

We NEED a legit return man / 3rd down match-up nightmare to stretch the field.

Tate would fill that need as well as anyone . . . and by the end of February I think he'll be perceived as a sure fire 1st rounder . . . if he isn't already.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

Can be had in the 2nd? That's crazy talk. 2nd WR off the board. My Prediction #21 to New England.

Agreed, he looks to be the 2nd WR off the board. I would not be surprised if the Jets or Ravens moved up for him but NE could be in play.

I also would not be surprised to see NE move up to get Spiller.
Originally posted by krizay:

Agreed, he looks to be the 2nd WR off the board. I would not be surprised if the Jets or Ravens moved up for him but NE could be in play.

I also would not be surprised to see NE move up to get Spiller.

I could see NE moving up for Spiller or McClain.
He's good...but so is Gilyard, who's also an excellent KR. I'd rather go with Arenas, who could be a very good nickel CB and he's a dynamite KR. REally, we wouldn't lose with any of those three guys...they all bring needed speed, playmaking and return skills.

• evil
  • Veteran
Quote:
Notre Dame WR Golden Tate just informed the media that one of the several teams he'll be meeting with tonight is the #49ers

He would be a good WR/ST guy, but I don't think he will be there in the 2nd Round, unless the Niners trade up.

Plus, I like his name. Every time I hear it makes me think of nice golden tatter tots.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:56:07 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
He would be a good WR/ST guy, but I don't think he will be there in the 2nd Round, unless the Niners trade up.

Plus, I like his name. Every time I hear it makes me think of nice golden tatter tots.

Or down in the first.

Someone said that if we drafted him we could rename the team the Golden Tate Warriors!
He could become a good slot receiver for us...added bonus, he's a good KR, too. I'd have no problem if we drafted him. With he and hopefully Sproles, they'd elevate our KR game to new heights.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Unofficial 4.36 40 time!
Share 49ersWebzone