Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Trade the pic

if Suh is there you trade the pick? What would you get? Two lesser players? Suh would instantly make us a DOMINANT defense. Suh--Franklin--Smith. With Willis and an improved Lawson behind them? You can pretty much put Andy Lee as our OLB and watch him get 10+ sacks behind that D-line

Im saying I pick for need over BPA. Yes two lesser player, but players we need. Thats like saying the Colts trading for Tom Brady.

The one exception is QB. If you hae a QB that has 5+ years left, and he's really the real deal (Manning in your example) then you certainly don't go for a QB. But let me ask you, what do you see as not a position of need for us?

LB obviously, and OL>DL. If you have a need player available and a BPA you go with the need IMO.

So let me ask you this. If you could hypothetically see into the future and see how good these prospects will be in their careers, and you could choose between an O-lineman who will be the next Joe Staley. Good OT, can play on the left or right side. Maybe will be a pro-bowler one day...maybe not, but a good player non-the-less, or the next Ray Lewis (basically another PW next to PW) at LB. This guy is going to be the best MLB in the league not named Patrick Willis, maybe even better, and he'll play right next to Patrick Willis and be an instant impact player. You say go with the OT instead? Perhaps if we were a 4-3 team and only had room for one MLB then it would be different, but we definitely have room for 2.

I thought we were talking about a DE/NT

i'm just trying to debate the BPA/draft for need strategies. You pointed LB (I assume you meant ILB) as a position that we don't need, and OT is a position that we do need. So I ask, if the LB is on the level of Willis/Lewis/Singletary etc and the OT is on the level of Joe Staley (good player, but not great), who would you rather draft?

Well I said to trade the pick for more picks, so really the question would be, say... A good OT and a good S over the next star MLB I take the 2 good players over the star. IMO

What if its a player with Jerry Rice/Lawrence Taylor/Barry Sanders type potential? I just don't see how 2 lesser players can do for your team what a guy like Taylor can.
Harbaugh inherited some serious issues with very little time to address them. The Saints were a little queer in what they did but who knows maybe Harbaugh made a phone call and asked for the abuse. Maybe not but either way I bet Harbaugh is better equipped to take the most recent data about his team and properly address it than the regimes we've had dating back to 2003. Not worried.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Harbaugh inherited some serious issues with very little time to address them. The Saints were a little queer in what they did but who knows maybe Harbaugh made a phone call and asked for the abuse. Maybe not but either way I bet Harbaugh is better equipped to take the most recent data about his team and properly address it than the regimes we've had dating back to 2003. Not worried.

Why did you post this in a 2009 thread about drafting for need?
Trade the pic

if Suh is there you trade the pick? What would you get? Two lesser players? Suh would instantly make us a DOMINANT defense. Suh--Franklin--Smith. With Willis and an improved Lawson behind them? You can pretty much put Andy Lee as our OLB and watch him get 10+ sacks behind that D-line
Not after the tackle attempt I saw in the pre-season game......
Share 49ersWebzone