There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best 'Spread'/Draw RB in 2010?

Dexter McCluster
A good spread RB must also be good at picking up blitzes as well. We are lucky Gore and Coffee are good at that attribute.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 18, 2010 at 16:56:47 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DANADA:
Noel Divine would be awsome

I love Noel Devine and have been high on this kid for a long time. Sadly he's chosen to go back to school for his senior year which means his draft stock should rise significantly. Right now he's projected 4th-5th. With a great senior year he could move up to 2nd-3rd.
Originally posted by kronik:
A good spread RB must also be good at picking up blitzes as well. We are lucky Gore and Coffee are good at that attribute.

Agree
I also think Joe McKnight would be a good spread RB.

Fast
Athletic
Good hands
Decent size
Relatively little wear and tear from college ball
Used to being a role player and splitting time (I think it's important to get a clear compliment to Gore rather than someone that's projected to supplant him)
Will be available in the middle rounds allowing the niners to spend earlier picks on more pressing needs.
^^^^

I'm a McKnight fan, he's the change of pace back we could use.
All good players...but I cosign on McCluster.
McKnight runs too upright to be a good NFL rb... pass.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by confusedrhino:

They said that about Adrian Peterson.
We need a RB that is dangerous in space. We need some speed at RB. Coffee is fine as backup and he'll fight for tough yards and pick up the blitz well, but he's not going to threaten a defense if he gets a crease.

Sproles is such an asset to Rivers. He averaged 11 yards per reception on 45 receptions. Teams have such a tough time containing the Chargers when Sproles is on the field. They're a vertical team, but defenses have to respect Sproles coming out of the backfield. We need a player that teams have to fear.

I like McCluster. Also, Trindon Holliday and LaMarcus Coker could be available as 7th/UDFAs. Holliday and Coker are sub-4.3 guys and explosive returners also.
Originally posted by Ether:

and roger craig and eric dickerson. i dont care how he runs as long as he gets results
Originally posted by jreff22:
We have to many holes IMO to pull another RB in the "later" rounds, if we go after a RB it has to be in Round 1.....if Spiller is gone then we wait for a FA or 2011.

This is the best reasoning I have heard in a while. Its really a good point. I agree 100% if we can't get top tier than why sacrifice for lesser talent?
Drafting a RB for one specific type of offense is a bad idea... just limits what you can do offensively. We currently have that very problem with our QB - or at least until Nate Davis takes the reigns...
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Ether:

and roger craig and eric dickerson. i dont care how he runs as long as he gets results

I like McKnight. Him and Sam Bradford are the biggest BOOM or BUST players in the draft to me. We'll see, we'll see....
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Drafting a RB for one specific type of offense is a bad idea... just limits what you can do offensively. We currently have that very problem with our QB - or at least until Nate Davis takes the reigns...

Yes but Spiller and best also add return ability as well...What they add to this offense is something that is lacking at RB......SPEED.......You could see a formation with 1 WR(Crabtree) 2 TEs, 2 Rbs(Gore and Spiller)....Think a RB with Speed will create more matchup problems