There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm warming up to the idea of Rolando Mcclain

I know MLB is not our biggest need, but a coach on the field for the D (or O for that matter) may be. This guy isn't Willis #2, instead he's someone who excels where Willis is lacking...calling defenses. I know a pass rusher is much more pressing of an issue in our LB group, but I simply dont see a Mcclain type talent at that position. This would not only give us the best ILB group in the NFL, but also an insurance policy in case something happens to our best player. We are close to a playoff team now, and even without an improved o line or improved pass rush, we can still get there this year. Surely adding a talent like Mcclain can elevate us to that level without addressing ALL of our biggest needs. I've alway been of the BPA school, and I believe he may be the BPA when we draft. What do people think? Clearly we would have to use our next 2 picks on some combination of OT, OG, KR/PR, CB, S, OLB and maybe even QB if we decide to make this "luxury" pick.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I know MLB is not our biggest need, but a coach on the field for the D (or O for that matter) may be. This guy isn't Willis #2, instead he's someone who excels where Willis is lacking...calling defenses. I know a pass rusher is much more pressing of an issue in our LB group, but I simply dont see a Mcclain type talent at that position. This would not only give us the best ILB group in the NFL, but also an insurance policy in case something happens to our best player. We are close to a playoff team now, and even without an improved o line or improved pass rush, we can still get there this year. Surely adding a talent like Mcclain can elevate us to that level without addressing ALL of our biggest needs. I've alway been of the BPA school, and I believe he may be the BPA when we draft. What do people think? Clearly we would have to use our next 2 picks on some combination of OT, OG, KR/PR, CB, S, OLB and maybe even QB if we decide to make this "luxury" pick.

Because we still have so many needs on this team -- I'm almost 100% sure there's going to be a BPA at one of our positions of need for both picks.

What will it be? That remains to be seen.

I could see Bulaga, Gilyard, Haden, Graham, McClain, Golden Tate (if he declares), Dunlap, being there -- and even a guy like NT Dan Williams who has risen into a Day One prospect could sneak deep into the first round like last year's Tennessee prospect, Robert Ayers, did.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 5, 2009 at 17:16:01 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Because we still have so many needs on this team -- I'm almost 100% sure there's going to be a BPA at one of our positions of need for both picks.

I could see Bulaga, Gilyard, Haden, Graham, McClain, Golden Tate (if he declares), Dunlap, being there -- and even a guy like NT Dan Williams who has risen into a Day One prospect could sneak deep into the first round like last year's Tennessee prospect, Robert Ayers, did.

Wait, you see Gilyard as a top 10 pick? And you think Grahm is BPA with Mcclain still on the board?
Rolando McClain Thread

Wait, you see Gilyard as a top 10 pick? And you think Grahm is BPA with Mcclain still on the board?

Top 10? No, no I'm talking about our pick -- Not the Carolina pick. I expect us to pick in the later teens to low 20's.

Top 10? No, no I'm talking about our pick -- Not the Carolina pick. I expect us to pick in the later teens to low 20's.

How about with CAR pick? I see McClain as possibly the BPA at that pick. Gilyard, IMO, is still not a top 20 pick. I also really like the USC OT more than any other OT in the draft
seriously an inside lb with a top 10 pick when we have other needs on d like pass rusher, safety and cb. if we were set on d yeah mcclain will be a nice luxury pick but thats not the case with our d. mcclain will not be a 9er unless he there with our 2nd rd pick
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
seriously an inside lb with a top 10 pick when we have other needs on d like pass rusher, safety and cb. if we were set on d yeah mcclain will be a nice luxury pick but thats not the case with our d. mcclain will not be a 9er unless he there with our 2nd rd pick

Depends on who gets drafted ahead of him. For instance if Berry is gone, I would pass on Mays....plus Berry and Mays could be drafted anyways. McClain is a much better player then Haden IMO, Takeo only has 1 year left and all we have is McKillop.

Gilyard is not a top 20 player. And certainly not for us. He's going to get killed in the NFL.

If he's around in the 2nd round I'd take a look at him but probably pass. We have too many other needs.
Originally posted by genus49:

Gilyard is not a top 20 player. And certainly not for us. He's going to get killed in the NFL.

If he's around in the 2nd round I'd take a look at him but probably pass. We have too many other needs.

People said the same thing about Desean Jackson, Gilyard is a 1st round talent.
Originally posted by genus49:

Killed in the NFL? Not at all. He's the same size (6-0 187) as Maclin (6-0 188) and Manningham (6-0 186). Come on now, I know my guy, and Gilyard is a fine prospect. Gilyard not only is of a higher character and work ethic than a guy like Manningham, he's a more versatile threat with more speed.

How about with CAR pick? I see McClain as possibly the BPA at that pick. Gilyard, IMO, is still not a top 20 pick. I also really like the USC OT more than any other OT in the draft

Perhaps. Charles Brown wouldn't be a bad pick with our second first. Wouldn't mind it at all. As for Gilyard, his combine will determine whether or not he's a top 20 pick. Right now, I'd slot him in between 20-25, which is why I say (if we make the playoffs), he could be the BPA for our next first rounder at that slot.

But it depends. We're a long, long way from there. We still have Bowl Games, All-Star games, and the Combine. No player's stock is safe right now -- Injuries could happen, etc. and more.

Three of the safest players I'd say as far as being top 15 locks right now are Suh, Bryant, and Berry.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 6, 2009 at 10:53:23 ]

Probably the three safest players I'd say as far as being top 15 locks right now are Suh, Bryant, and Berry.

I think Okung, G. Mcccoy and even Claussen, are much stronger locks for the top 15 than Bryant
Kid is a beast and we could far worse than drafting him. I think we may be better of running a 4-3 next year but it won't happen because Manusky's only coaching background is in the 3-4. I think Manusky does a good job of what he has for the 3-4 but I do think we would be better of running a 4-3 defense.

Probably the three safest players I'd say as far as being top 15 locks right now are Suh, Bryant, and Berry.

I think Okung, G. Mcccoy and even Claussen, are much stronger locks for the top 15 than Bryant

If you want 5 of the safest players, I'd add on Gerald McCoy and Okung to those other three.

I want to say Taylor Mays, too, but if Manny Lawson at 6-6 240 clocking 4.41 can go in the low 20's -- what's to say Mays couldn't go in the 16-20 area?

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 6, 2009 at 10:55:36 ]
did somebody say Rolando McClain. oh trust me he's going to be in SF come next yr. Boy is a baller. we need someone to groom to take over for TKO.

"Yippee ki-yay, motherfocker!"

[ Edited by Negrodamus on Dec 6, 2009 at 10:59:47 ]