LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Geek's Final Mock Plan for 2009

Looks good. I think we should go crazy with FA OL. OL take 2-3 years to develop and we need them NOW. Therefore I'm not big on the thought of drafting one (unless hes bpa).

Question: Why Neal over Mankins?

As for Jones, I could just as easily see him step up and take the starting spot from Morgan. Morgan has a tenuous grasp on his starting spot as it is and Jones was arguably the best looking WR in training camp. It could go either way.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Bush isn't a free agent and NO will probally explore trading him before they cut him.

Salary is a bit too high for trading.

Uncapped season next year. His deal will be redone anyways for his new team.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Note: CBA does NOT get renewed.

Resign -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 1 year deal (franchise)

Barry Sims - OT - 3 year deal

Tony Pashos - OT - 1 year deal

Walt Harris - CB - 1 year deal

Matt Wilhem - LB - 2 year deal

Free Agency -

Stephen Neal - OG - 5 year deal
*Goodbye David Baas, hello Stephen Neal. We'll pay a pretty penny for Neal, but this could be the Justin Smiley type signing that the Dolphins made in order to get into the playoffs.

Reggie Bush - RB - 3 year deal
*Why Reggie Bush? He can return kicks and punts, he provides speed at the position, and he can catch well. Coffee as a "power bacK', we'll have a trio of young and promising players in our backfield. I don't typically buy into the rumors this early in the season, but Bush has been a bust. This is Brees's team now.

NFL Draft -

R1: Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State
*With the continued offensive problems the Panthers are having, I think they finish with a worse record compared to teams like the Seahawks. Okung is the best available OT in the draft, and could easily play at LT or RT in the NFL level. With QBs on the rise (Locker, Clausen) and a defensive top heavy first round draft (Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc), Okung could surely fall to the 6-8th spot.

R1: Brandon Graham - DE/LB - Michigan
*While Parys Haralson have been strong in run support this season, he has lacked the pass rushing skills that he showed before earning the contract extension. Could we trade down a few spots and select Hughes? Sure, but we are in a position to draft supreme quality over good quantity. Graham is a much better pro prospect than Hughes.

R2: Terrence Cody - NT - Alabama
*I know...WTF are you talking about GEEK is your reaction right now. Will Cody slip this far? Well, if McCoy declares, there will be about 3-4 DTs ahead of Cody by most analysts perspectives. Just like Alan Branch, I think Cody does slip into the second round. This isn't a pick that will see results immediately. He will eventually replace Franklin at NT. Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout doesn't have Cody listed in his most recent mock (12/3).

R3: Danario Alexander - WR - Missouri
*If Alexander runs a 4.58-4.6 40 time, I expect him to be available in the 3rd round. He reminds me of Sidney Rice/Marques Colston type WR with great physical dimensions and solid pass catching ability. We lack size at the WR position, and since our top 2 QBs don't have the best accuracy, I think Alexander could develop into a nice 2nd or 3rd WR.

R4: Kurt Coleman - S - Ohio State
*Selected first team All-Big Ten recently. Coleman has playmaking ability and good tackling skills. The only downfall is his height - a bit on the shorter side for a safety.

R5: Chris Hawkins - CB - LSU
*I could see Hawkins turn to a T. Brown type pick. Hawkins isn't anything special, but an all around good quality corner.

R6: Jimmy Graham - TE - Miami
*Excellent dimensions and physical ability. At height of 6-8, he creates drastic mismatches for any defense. Needs to develop blocking ability to become a true TE in the NFL. Former basketball player that reminds people of Antonio Gates.

R7: Bill Stull - QB - Pittsburgh
*Late round developmental pick.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Hill/Davis PS: Stull*
RB: Gore/Bush*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker/Graham*

WR: Crabtree/Morgan
WR: Jones/Hill
WR: Alexander*

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Neal*/Wragge
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Okung*/Pashos

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Cody*
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Lawson/Brooks/Briggs
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Wilhem
OLB: Graham*/Haralson

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Harris/Hawkins*
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Coleman*

Thanks for stealing some of my picks.

Quick take on the draft:
-Don't know the likelihood of landing Okung, other than it's exceptionally low even at #6 right now.
-Graham is the best pick. (I now have to change my mock to make it different.)
-If Cody made it to us great, but many factors will determine his positioning.
-Coleman is a good pick. I intended to use him in later mocks, but I have another name in mind at the current time.

Other notes:
-I can see us releasing Jones like we did with Lelie. Just not a good signing. If we kept him, I bet he'd get stuck on the bench. Picking up Danario is something I wouldn't oppose, but there might be a better wide-out available.

Great minds think alike, right?

The likely outcome is that we don't get Okung. But if Crabtree could fall to us, anything is possible.

I do think Jones may get cut. At the same time, he's gotten a raw deal. I think the 49ers staff will see how he looks in training camp before making a decision.

If Jones gets cut, realistically only 3 WRs come back. Quite a bit of turnover for Smith who needs to develop chemistry with all the players.

Naw I think Jones goes. sorry but the guy never did anything in Tenn. to warrant this contract from any NFL team. And it's the NFL players come and go if smith can't develop chemsitry with a FA then what's the point of having him He'll be fine

Only problem i have with your mock is the lack of addressing the safety situation which is killing the secondary.
I like re-signing Sims, but not for 3 years. Just because he's 35 years old. I would give him another year or two at most. Also not sure about Harris for similar reasons.

But that's petty stuff. Great Job overall!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Bush isn't a free agent and NO will probally explore trading him before they cut him.

Salary is a bit too high for trading.

Uncapped season next year. His deal will be redone anyways for his new team.

Good point.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:
Looks good. I think we should go crazy with FA OL. OL take 2-3 years to develop and we need them NOW. Therefore I'm not big on the thought of drafting one (unless hes bpa).

As for Jones, I could just as easily see him step up and take the starting spot from Morgan. Morgan has a tenuous grasp on his starting spot as it is and Jones was arguably the best looking WR in training camp. It could go either way.

In the off-season, I am assuming that the CBA doesn't get renewed. If that is the case, Logan Mankins will most likely be tagged the highest tender - which would cost us draft picks to acquire him.

Neal is an all out Unrestricted Free Agent that will be able to sign anywhere (unless franchised/transitioned) he wants. Because he's from Cali too, I thought it may be a bit more realistic - think Larry Allen in 2006.

In the off-season, I am assuming that the CBA doesn't get renewed. If that is the case, Logan Mankins will most likely be tagged the highest tender - which would cost us draft picks to acquire him.

Neal is an all out Unrestricted Free Agent that will be able to sign anywhere (unless franchised/transitioned) he wants. Because he's from Cali too, I thought it may be a bit more realistic - think Larry Allen in 2006.

Yea so if there is no new CBA won't there be some new franchise tag givivng teams teh chance to tag another pleyr that they previously couldn't? Neal is a good player I don't think Mankins is leaving NE.
Originally posted by kronik:

Resign -

Free Agency -

*Goodbye David Baas, hello Stephen Neal. We'll pay a pretty penny for Neal, but this could be the Justin Smiley type signing that the Dolphins made in order to get into the playoffs.

*Why Reggie Bush? He can return kicks and punts, he provides speed at the position, and he can catch well. Coffee as a "power bacK', we'll have a trio of young and promising players in our backfield. I don't typically buy into the rumors this early in the season, but Bush has been a bust. This is Brees's team now.

NFL Draft -

*With the continued offensive problems the Panthers are having, I think they finish with a worse record compared to teams like the Seahawks. Okung is the best available OT in the draft, and could easily play at LT or RT in the NFL level. With QBs on the rise (Locker, Clausen) and a defensive top heavy first round draft (Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc), Okung could surely fall to the 6-8th spot.

*While Parys Haralson have been strong in run support this season, he has lacked the pass rushing skills that he showed before earning the contract extension. Could we trade down a few spots and select Hughes? Sure, but we are in a position to draft supreme quality over good quantity. Graham is a much better pro prospect than Hughes.

*I know...WTF are you talking about GEEK is your reaction right now. Will Cody slip this far? Well, if McCoy declares, there will be about 3-4 DTs ahead of Cody by most analysts perspectives. Just like Alan Branch, I think Cody does slip into the second round. This isn't a pick that will see results immediately. He will eventually replace Franklin at NT. Chad Reuter of NFLDraftScout doesn't have Cody listed in his most recent mock (12/3).

*If Alexander runs a 4.58-4.6 40 time, I expect him to be available in the 3rd round. He reminds me of Sidney Rice/Marques Colston type WR with great physical dimensions and solid pass catching ability. We lack size at the WR position, and since our top 2 QBs don't have the best accuracy, I think Alexander could develop into a nice 2nd or 3rd WR.

*Selected first team All-Big Ten recently. Coleman has playmaking ability and good tackling skills. The only downfall is his height - a bit on the shorter side for a safety.

*I could see Hawkins turn to a T. Brown type pick. Hawkins isn't anything special, but an all around good quality corner.

*Excellent dimensions and physical ability. At height of 6-8, he creates drastic mismatches for any defense. Needs to develop blocking ability to become a true TE in the NFL. Former basketball player that reminds people of Antonio Gates.

Depth Chart -

Your draft is not bad, but (no offense) your FA "resignings" just plain suck. Why do we need to resign a 36 year old CB? Why do we really need to resign Wilhem? Because he had 1 good half? You can't really believe we can't find a better younger replacement, could you? I also think Neal (NE Guard) is overrated. I've seen alot of Patriots games, and he is the weakest link on that line. He gets beat OFTEN. If you are going to fantasize about an offseason, get a better guard. Also, add some speed to our secondary as well.

But other than my nitpickings, nice job.

Statistically speaking, Neal has been one of the best OGs in the league. I've seen a few Patriots games myself, and he has looked relatively fine. Not exactly sure why you think he's the weakest link.

The resignings are just 1 year deals as well - easily cuttable if we get get an upgrade. Besides, I see McKillop as being the main backup ILB in 2010. Whilem just replaces Ulbrich.

But I get what you are saying. If the CBA isn't renewed (and I am assuming in this mock that it's not), then its going to be slim pickings out there in free agency.

OK Geek, I'll accept your basis for those moves. How about adding speed to the secondary?

Anyways, I am just nitpicking since we are all in fantasy mode anyways.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am not a fan of this. I don't think we should draft a WR in the third. I think we probably should draft a TE in the 3rd round - if we continue to plan to use 2 TE sets as a part of a spread formation. Not having Pascoe on the team has left us very vulnerable - fortunately for us our TE have not gone down due to injuries. I would also like to see a guard drafted in this draft.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Yea so if there is no new CBA won't there be some new franchise tag givivng teams teh chance to tag another pleyr that they previously couldn't? Neal is a good player I don't think Mankins is leaving NE.

Teams get an extra transition tag I believe.

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Resign -

Free Agency -

NFL Draft -

Depth Chart -

Your draft is not bad, but (no offense) your FA "resignings" just plain suck. Why do we need to resign a 36 year old CB? Why do we really need to resign Wilhem? Because he had 1 good half? You can't really believe we can't find a better younger replacement, could you? I also think Neal (NE Guard) is overrated. I've seen alot of Patriots games, and he is the weakest link on that line. He gets beat OFTEN. If you are going to fantasize about an offseason, get a better guard. Also, add some speed to our secondary as well.

But other than my nitpickings, nice job.

Statistically speaking, Neal has been one of the best OGs in the league. I've seen a few Patriots games myself, and he has looked relatively fine. Not exactly sure why you think he's the weakest link.

The resignings are just 1 year deals as well - easily cuttable if we get get an upgrade. Besides, I see McKillop as being the main backup ILB in 2010. Whilem just replaces Ulbrich.

But I get what you are saying. If the CBA isn't renewed (and I am assuming in this mock that it's not), then its going to be slim pickings out there in free agency.

OK Geek, I'll accept your basis for those moves. How about adding speed to the secondary?

Anyways, I am just nitpicking since we are all in fantasy mode anyways.

Oh go for it bro. I just wanted to clarify some stuff so you at least understand my thought process. You bring up good points.

As far as the speed is concerned, you can't really address all those needs in one off-season. It's obviously the weakest part of my mock, but I am banking on an improved pass rush will make our pass defense a top 15 team in that area.
I like it but I hope we cut Coffee and pick up a mid-range FA RB. Like a Cedric Benson kind of non top-tier guy.
Say Okung is gone by the 6-8th spot. Who do you choose in place of him?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Say Okung is gone by the 6-8th spot. Who do you choose in place of him?

Good question. Trade down may be possible, selecting Trent Williams in the mid-teens.

Otherwise I'd take a hard long look at Dez Bryant if available - definitely not a popular pick on this board.
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
I like it but I hope we cut Coffee and pick up a mid-range FA RB. Like a Cedric Benson kind of non top-tier guy.

WOW, give the kid a break, he isnt a bust, he hant played a full yr or 2, he needs time, and he will be ok.
Share 49ersWebzone