Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (DT)*Winner

JIM THORPE AWARD
Eric Berry, Tennessee*Winner

DOAK WALKER AWARD
Toby Gerhart, Stanford*Winner

Heisman Trophy
Mark Ingram, Alabama*Winner
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM ]
Damn Suh is a finalist for 5 different awards. I wonder how many he gets?
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Awards like the Outland, Walter Camp and William V. Campbell... why do they have players on both sides of the ball? I can imagine Awards like Maxwell where its Best Player or something, but can someone explain to me what these Awards mean?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
BEDNARIK AWARD
Terrence Cody, Alabama (DT)
Brandon Spikes, Florida (LB)
Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska (DT)

BILETNIKOFF AWARD
Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green
Jordan Shipley, Texas
Golden Tate, Notre Dame

BUTKUS AWARD
Sergio Kindle, Texas
Rolando McClain, Alabama
Eric Norwood, South Carolina
Brandon Spikes, Florida
Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri

WALTER CAMP AWARD
Mark Ingram, Alabama (RB)
Case Keenum, Houston (QB)
Colt McCoy, Texas (QB)
Tim Tebow, Florida (QB)

WILLIAM V. CAMPBELL TROPHY
Jon Asamoah, Illinois (G)
Matt Bauman, BYU (LB)
Eric Decker, Minnesota (WR)
Moses Harris, Fresno State (S).
Tim Hiller, Western Michigan (QB)
Paul Jasinowski, Brown (DT)
Beau Kildow, Morningside (WR)
Josh Mahoney, Northern Iowa (LB)
Colt McCoy, Texas (QB)
Jarrell NeSmith, Tusculum (TE)

LOU GROZA AWARD WHO CARES?
Kai Forbath, UCLA
Leigh Tiffin, Alabama
Blair Walsh, Georgia

RAY GUY AWARD
Drew Butler, Georgia
Chas Henry, Florida
Zoltan Mesko, Michigan

ROTARY LOMBARDI AWARD
Jerry Hughes, TCU (DE)
Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma (DT)

JOHN MACKEY AWARD
Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh
Aaron Hernandez, Florida
Dennis Pitta, BYU

MAXWELL AWARD

Mark Ingram, Alabama (RB)
Colt McCoy, Texas (QB)
Tim Tebow, Florida (QB)
Joe Pawelek, Baylor (LB)
Todd Reesing, Kansas (QB)
ZaVious Robbins, Hardin-Simmons (WR)
Tim Tebow, Florida (QB)
Blaine Westemeyer, Augustana (OT).
Reed Williams, West Virginia (LB)

BRONKO NAGURSKI TROPHY
Pat Angerer, Iowa (LB)
Eric Berry, Tennessee (DB)
Jerry Hughes, TCU (DE)

DAVEY O’BRIEN AWARD

Case Keenum, Houston
Colt McCoy, Texas
Tim Tebow, Florida

OUTLAND TROPHY
Mike Iupati, Idaho (G)
Russell Okung, Oklahoma State (OT)

JIM THORPE AWARD
Eric Berry, Tennessee
Joe Haden, Florida
Earl Thomas, Texas

DOAK WALKER AWARD
Toby Gerhart, Stanford
Mark Ingram, Alabama
C.J. Spiller, Clemson

Hee's who I think should win. However, I can see Tebow getting the bulk of these since the media loves him and he gives speeches. Also for all the pub Berry has gotten, Earl Thomas has had a far better year.
I'd love to see Ndamukong Suh win the Heisman trophy this season. In a down year for any clear-cut offensive players, it is time a dominant college defender wins the trophy.

He has been the best player in college football this season, but will need some form of ridiculous performance (3 sacks, 10 tackles, forced fumble or INT) against Texas to gain a sniff of the trophy.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd love to see Ndamukong Suh win the Heisman trophy this season. In a down year for any clear-cut offensive players, it is time a dominant college defender wins the trophy.

He has been the best player in college football this season, but will need some form of ridiculous performance (3 sacks, 10 tackles, forced fumble or INT) against Texas to gain a sniff of the trophy.

When are you dropping the big board?

Would be nice to see him win.

Charles Woodson won the Heisman as a dominant defensive player.
Originally posted by MadMartz:

And punt returner. It would be nice to see a defensive player win again. I believe Woodson was the only defensive player in recent history.
Maybe a run down of what all these awards are for?

Originally posted by jreff22:

When are you dropping the big board?

It's tough to throw down a board without knowing which juniors and eligible sophs will declare. However, I will create something in late December that will be classified as a mini-board: maybe the projected first 150 picks.

And punt returner. It would be nice to see a defensive player win again. I believe Woodson was the only defensive player in recent history.

He was the only defensive player ever to win it. And it was for his defense, not because he returned punts.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Maybe a run down of what all these awards are for?

Bronko Nagurski Award
Named after one of college football's greatest players and given annually to the nation's outstanding defensive player by the FWAA/Charlotte TD Club.

Buck Buchanan Award
Presented annually to the nation's outstanding Division I-AA defensive player, this award is named for Junius "Buck" Buchanan, Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive end.

Butkus Award
Named after one of the greatest defenders of all time, the Butkus Award is presented annually to the nation's top college linebacker

Chuck Bednarik Award
The Chuck Bednarik Award, named for the College and Pro Football Hall of Famer, is given annually to the College Defensive Football Player of the Year.

Davey O'Brien Award
The Davey O'Brien Award is given annually to the nation's outstanding quarterback by the Davey O'Brien Foundation.

Doak Walker Award
The Doak Walker Award, the only major collegiate football award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing, is presented annually to the nation's premier running back.

Fred Biletnikoff Award
The Fred Biletnikoff Award is presented to the nation's best receiver by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club.

Gagliardi Trophy
Presented annually to the NCAA Division III Outstanding Player.

Harlon Hill Trophy
The Harlon Hill Trophy, named for the wide receiver at North Alabama College who became a three-time All-Pro with the Chicago Bears, is given annually to the most outstanding player in Division II football.

Heisman Memorial Trophy
The Heisman Memorial Trophy, presented by the Downtown Athletic Club of New York City, is college football's most prestegious award.

Jim Thorpe Award
The Jim Thorpe Award, named after one of the greatest athletes who ever lived, is presented annually to the best defensive back in college football.

John Mackey Award
Named for the Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end, the John Mackey Award is presented annually to the nation's top tight end.

Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, named after one of the game's greatest QBs, is given annually to the nation's outstanding senior quarterback.

Lou Groza Award
The Lou Groza Award is presented annually to the nation's top placekicker by the Palm Beach Sports Commission.

Maxwell Award
The Maxwell Award, named in honor of legendary college football player and columnist Robert W. (Tiny) Maxwell, is awarded annually to the College Football Player of the Year.

Melberger Award
The Melberger Award is given annually to the outstanding football player in Division III.

Outland Trophy
The Outland Trophy is given annually to the nation's best interior offensive or defensive linemen by the Football Writers Association of America.

Ray Guy Award
The Ray Guy Award, honoring the greatest punter of all time, is presented annually to the nation's top punter by the Greater Augusta Sports Council.

Rimington Award
The Rimington Award is named for Dave Rimington, one of college football's greatest offensive linemen, and is presented annually to the most outstanding center in college football.

Ted Hendricks Award
The Ted Hendricks Award, named for the three-time All-American from the University of Miami, is given annually to the nation's top defensive end.
Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award

The Rotary Lombardi Award is given annually to the college football offensive or defensive lineman who, in addition to outstanding performance and ability, best exemplifies the discipline of Vince Lombardi.

Walter Camp Award
The Walter Camp Award, named in honor of the father of American football, is given annually to the College Football Player of the Year, as selected by Division 1A coaches and Sports Information directors.

Walter Payton Award
Named for the Hall of Fame running back, the Walter Payton Award is given annually to the I-AA Offensive Player of the Year.
Thank you Jreff

He was the only defensive player ever to win it. And it was for his defense, not because he returned punts.

You seem angry. Of course the voters primarily looked at his work on defense as the reason they voted for him. But, to dismiss his impact on the field on offense, and special teams, and how this may have pushed some voters to place him above Peyton Manning would be an error.

You cannot discount his versatility outside of playing defense to voters on catching passes on offense (12 receptions and 2 TD's), rushing for 1 TD, and returning 36 punts, including one for a TD against Ohio State in the biggest game of the year (and probably the game that pushed him over the top for the Heisman). Teams had to game plan for him in all aspects of the game.

Voters may have still voted him the Heisman if he only played defense, but we will never know the impact his versatility and impact on the offense side of the ball, and in special teams played in their voting.

My point in the earlier post is that it is nearly impossible for 99.9% defensive players to win, because they do not make TD's, or electric plays like offensive players do, on a consistent basis across the year. Suh was the best player in the land, I have said so from early in 2009, and he deserves the Heisman. However, since he does not add anything outside of his work on defense, he doesn't have a chance.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 6, 2009 at 09:18:32 ]
Share 49ersWebzone