LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

How high of a pick to invest in a KR/PR?

• fryet
  • Veteran
I think we continue to keep Brandon Jones as our KR/PR, and look for another low in the draft in case Jones earns a starting WR position (which I would hope considering his salary).
M. Gilyard. Cincinnati. WR/PR/KR Solves our problems on special teams, plus a super quick slot receiver for our new spread offense to go w/ Crabtree and Davis.
I say we spend a 4th rd pick on Dexter McCluster and he may last till then even though many here say he wont.I believe he'll do great as KR/PR and as RB to spell Gore on third down.He is only 160 pounds though.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Depends on his other duties....Dez Bryant for instance is a WR first KR second.....Bryant will be a top 15 pick.

But how many returners are actually starters in the NFL?

Actually a decent amount:

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Dont see many starters there, mostly #3 wrs. But out of those guys most of them were drafted late. I dont think we should invest a high pick in a returner. I would say Bryant in the first is out of the question!

Almost all of those guys are starters, just because they play in the slot for instance doesn't mean they don't start.

Actually it does mean that. This is Davone Bess and he leads Mia in recieving.

Look at the games started (0).... http://www.nfl.com/players/davonebess/profile?id=BES106788

Only 2 wrs get the start per NFL team!

I would use more common knowledge when looking at actual starters. Yes the NFL classifies the 2 top WR's as starters but that is old school logic. Most teams have gone to the spread which means they open with 3 WR's and end with 3 WR's. I would count the #3 WR for NO for instance as a starter compared to their FB who probably never sees the field.

Being a slot WR doesn't mean you're not a starter, look at Welker for instance.
Originally posted by msninerfan73:
I say we spend a 4th rd pick on Dexter McCluster and he may last till then even though many here say he wont.I believe he'll do great as KR/PR and as RB to spell Gore on third down.He is only 160 pounds though.

Dex will be gone no later then early 3rd....and that's probably pushing it.
Depends on his other duties....Dez Bryant for instance is a WR first KR second.....Bryant will be a top 15 pick.

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Dont see many starters there, mostly #3 wrs. But out of those guys most of them were drafted late. I dont think we should invest a high pick in a returner. I would say Bryant in the first is out of the question!

Almost all of those guys are starters, just because they play in the slot for instance doesn't mean they don't start.

Look at the games started (0).... http://www.nfl.com/players/davonebess/profile?id=BES106788

I would use more common knowledge when looking at actual starters. Yes the NFL classifies the 2 top WR's as starters but that is old school logic. Most teams have gone to the spread which means they open with 3 WR's and end with 3 WR's. I would count the #3 WR for NO for instance as a starter compared to their FB who probably never sees the field.

Welker starts opposite of Moss.

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Read the article and watch the clip

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

And what am I supposed to be reading? Welker starts opposite Moss!

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Welker is "Mr. Consistent" in the short and intermediate areas of the field, most lethal working in the slot

From another article
FOXBOROUGH - The Jets milked that first one, didn’t they? They beat the Patriots way back when to go 2-0 en route to 3-0, and they had a lot to say. Of course, they didn’t beat the real Patriots, who were missing two players of some consequence.One, as we all know, was Wes Welker, the man Bill Belichick refers to as “the best slot receiver in the league.’’

Would you like me to continue?
[ Edited by jreff22 on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM ]
If it is the BPA on our board at the time we have to take him.

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Either we win out or we tank. I would like bryant i think he's skills will be good next to crabtree. us the other first rounder on oline and now we have someone with speed across from crabtree. and maybe someone who can hit a guy in the mouth! Or Cj Spiller!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:17 PM ]

Harvin
Knox
Ginn
Jones
Cribs
Hester
Sproles
Washington
Royal
Crayton
Jackson
Bess
Welker

Tom Brady Throws both to moss, welker and some grandma's shoping basket in the endzone. lol
Try to trade a 4th for Roscoe Parrish. Buffalo was trying to trade him last year for a mid to low round draft pick. It gives us an explosive returner and another slot reciever and besides, him and Frank Gore are best friends. I know that doesn't really have anything to do with it but oh well.
I would rather draft Jordan Shipley in the later rounds for a KR/PR he is good!
  • volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Check out Florida's Brandon James as a UDFA
Share 49ersWebzone