There are 334 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trading up for Okung

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Sign Chester Pitts

5. Okung

13. Trade for Brandon Marshall

Crabtree----Walker-Okung-Pitts-Heitmann/Baas-Rachal-Staley-Davis----Marshall
------------------------------------------Smith--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Gore---------------------------------------------

We would have an offense that could score alot of points on the ground and through the air.

Now a move like this would have the webzone on overload on draft weekend
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
This would be a great move on our part. The jerks above believe that we will draft three hall of fame players with our picks. Pay no attention to comments like throw in Willis. Landing a starter at LT or RT will be much harder at 13, 17, or 49 than at five and Okung. Getting a player like Okung would finally let A. Smith have TIME TO THROW. This way we can evaluate his ability with an offense that has some credibility. Just think about how powerful our defense would be if we had an offense that converted two more first downs in each half of play. That would give our defense more time to be fresh. That would improve their play as well. Besides, we could recoup our traded picks by moving down again in the first round.

I agree this would be a great move for the 49ers. I'm not sure how I would feel when it first happens, but would be happy afterwards.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.

why cant we trade the 13 pick with 3rd rounder so we have the 5 17 and 49?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.

why cant we trade the 13 pick with 3rd rounder so we have the 5 17 and 49?

Because were still presuming that there will be a run on OT's. I still have faith that Williams will fall to us. There's no point in moving up if the players can fall to you.
The problem with waiting is centered around the fact that teams understand that we have a huge need at tackle. That means players that "fall" to say 12 will entice teams to trade into position in front of us at 12 and 16. Teams will take a lot less in compensation in a strong draft, as pointed out in the original post.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
The problem with waiting is centered around the fact that teams understand that we have a huge need at tackle. That means players that "fall" to say 12 will entice teams to trade into position in front of us at 12 and 16. Teams will take a lot less in compensation in a strong draft, as pointed out in the original post.

The teams that really need LT's are drafting before we do. They are the ones to worry about, having teams trade up from the 20's really isn't a concern of mine at this point.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.

why cant we trade the 13 pick with 3rd rounder so we have the 5 17 and 49?

We can; we can also trade the 13 AND 17 for the 5 and 36. All trades are even.
There's no reason to trade up for Okung...not when we can still get a very good OT and potentially the best OG by simply standing pat at #13 and 17. What's to say Okung will actually be better than Bulaga, Williams, Davis, or even Charles Brown. I'm not that high on Williams because he didn't fare well the one season he played LT...he was especially weak in pass protection, not a good sign. Believe it or not, Brown could actually be pretty high on the Niner draft board...and could go higher, depending on Singletary/Baalke's evaluation of Davis at his Pro Day. CB has the kind of skills Solari's looking for, so it'll be interesting to see who they go for. I'd love to see them grab Iupati at #17...to finish the OL in the 1st rd and give Solari/Brown a lot to work with.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
There's no reason to trade up for Okung...not when we can still get a very good OT and potentially the best OG by simply standing pat at #13 and 17. What's to say Okung will actually be better than Bulaga, Williams, Davis, or even Charles Brown. I'm not that high on Williams because he didn't fare well the one season he played LT...he was especially weak in pass protection, not a good sign. Believe it or not, Brown could actually be pretty high on the Niner draft board...and could go higher, depending on Singletary/Baalke's evaluation of Davis at his Pro Day. CB has the kind of skills Solari's looking for, so it'll be interesting to see who they go for. I'd love to see them grab Iupati at #17...to finish the OL in the 1st rd and give Solari/Brown a lot to work with.

Okung is graded far far higher than any other OT. Saying there's no difference is like saying there's no difference between Okung and a 4th rounder.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.

why cant we trade the 13 pick with 3rd rounder so we have the 5 17 and 49?

We can; we can also trade the 13 AND 17 for the 5 and 36. All trades are even.

lol i know we can

he is saying that he would rather have 3 good players at 13 17 and 49 i said why cant we have the 5 17 and 49

imagine

okung
spiller/graham/iupati
chad jones/dexter mccluster
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:


No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.

why cant we trade the 13 pick with 3rd rounder so we have the 5 17 and 49?

We can; we can also trade the 13 AND 17 for the 5 and 36. All trades are even.

lol i know we can

he is saying that he would rather have 3 good players at 13 17 and 49 i said why cant we have the 5 17 and 49

imagine

okung
spiller/graham/iupati
chad jones/dexter mccluster

OK -- gotcha; I would rather keep the #17 and take Kyle Wilson. Wilson fills a need at DB AND KR/PR.
I don't think we will trade up that far but if all the Tackles are flying off the board a trade up similar to the Bucs trade last year would not surprise me.

[ Edited by DANADA on Mar 29, 2010 at 08:47:29 ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Sign Chester Pitts

5. Okung

13. Trade for Brandon Marshall

Crabtree----Walker-Okung-Pitts-Heitmann/Baas-Rachal-Staley-Davis----Marshall
------------------------------------------Smith--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Gore---------------------------------------------

We would have an offense that could score alot of points on the ground and through the air.

Now a move like this would have the webzone on overload on draft weekend

I'll start praying now
So you all are saying that the difference between no OT, brown, or cambell and Okung is to use our 13th pick and an additional 3rd round pick???? I don't see any reason not too, zero.

When faced with the fact that we are already going to use the 13th pick on an OT, why not spend a 3rd rounder to upgrade from the 5th best OT to the best.