There are 206 users in the forums

Trading up for Okung

Maybe if we throw in Patrick Willis and our two first round picks.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think there's a 30 or 40% chance that the top 4 picks go QB/DT/DT/QB; if that's the case, Okung would be the logical pick for the Chiefs at #5. However, I have read many times that Pioli wants to trade down to rebuild the team. According to that draft value calculator, the #17 and the #49 would be fair value to trade up.

In fact, that is the exact trade executed between the Browns (#5) and the Jets (#17 and #52). With such a move, we'd land a franchise tackle and still have the ability to draft a playmaker (Spiller, Haden, etc). We could also trade down from the #13.

Another fair trade option is the #13 and the #79 for the #5. We can take Wilson at #17 (or Spiller or Dez if they're there) and still take a big time player at #49.

Imagine a first round draft of Okung and Spiller??? Okung and Haden! Okung and Dez! Okung and Wilson! Or, Okung and Iupati!!!

Staley would move to the right side and we'd have bookends for a decade. Imagine Iupati in there as a pro-bowl guard...a ling of Okung/Bass-Rachal/Heitmann/Iupati/Staley. Wow! Smith would throw for 4,000 yards in 2011 and Gore would run for 1,800.

Can't think of any drawbacks...

no 2nd round pick is huge in a DEEP draft like this.

A franchise left tackle is HUGE in any draft. If we trade the 13 and the 79, we can still keep the #49.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Why would you say something like that? I just gave you precedent from 2009 -- #5 for #17 and a second...and that was for a QB! (people usually pay more to trade up for a QB).
Quote:
--The 49ers enter the draft with an open mind, as far as drafting offensive tackles. Baalke said the versatility of Joe Staley makes it possible for the 49ers to get a left or right tackle in the draft and then decide what makes the 49ers' offensive line stronger.

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

add in Crabtree and VD
I like it! I think we will trade up for 1 of the top 3 tackles. It makes so much sense. Not only would it be a great Football move but also a great business move for the team.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think there's a 30 or 40% chance that the top 4 picks go QB/DT/DT/QB; if that's the case, Okung would be the logical pick for the Chiefs at #5. However, I have read many times that Pioli wants to trade down to rebuild the team. According to that draft value calculator, the #17 and the #49 would be fair value to trade up.

In fact, that is the exact trade executed between the Browns (#5) and the Jets (#17 and #52). With such a move, we'd land a franchise tackle and still have the ability to draft a playmaker (Spiller, Haden, etc). We could also trade down from the #13.

Another fair trade option is the #13 and the #79 for the #5. We can take Wilson at #17 (or Spiller or Dez if they're there) and still take a big time player at #49.

Imagine a first round draft of Okung and Spiller??? Okung and Haden! Okung and Dez! Okung and Wilson! Or, Okung and Iupati!!!

Staley would move to the right side and we'd have bookends for a decade. Imagine Iupati in there as a pro-bowl guard...a ling of Okung/Bass-Rachal/Heitmann/Iupati/Staley. Wow! Smith would throw for 4,000 yards in 2011 and Gore would run for 1,800.

Can't think of any drawbacks...

That's who we should get as well. solidify the o-line! give alex some time save frank's health! fock!!!!!!!!
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
I wouldnt mind doing that if Eric Berrys there..Then grab an OT at #13

Eric Berry + Trent Williams/ Brian Bulaga
which would leave Nate C to return kicks and punts right
damn i would love to do this

5 okung

13 spiller

72 best G avaliable

or 5 okung

17 iupathi/earl thomas/graham

49 best/gilyard/mccluster

thats a good draft

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Mar 26, 2010 at 20:53:28 ]

If KC is desperate to trade then I would be really psyched. Plus maybe Pitts too. We'd have our bookends for the next 5 years or more
i'd be ok with this. trading up to draft a guy like Okung would be better than possibly reaching for a OT at 13. I still think we need to draft BPA, but trading up would ensure Okung is BPA at that spot :). of course i'd rather us keep our 2nd and trade the 13 and 3rd.
This would be a great move on our part. The jerks above believe that we will draft three hall of fame players with our picks. Pay no attention to comments like throw in Willis. Landing a starter at LT or RT will be much harder at 13, 17, or 49 than at five and Okung. Getting a player like Okung would finally let A. Smith have TIME TO THROW. This way we can evaluate his ability with an offense that has some credibility. Just think about how powerful our defense would be if we had an offense that converted two more first downs in each half of play. That would give our defense more time to be fresh. That would improve their play as well. Besides, we could recoup our traded picks by moving down again in the first round.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Sign Chester Pitts

5. Okung

13. Trade for Brandon Marshall

Crabtree----Walker-Okung-Pitts-Heitmann/Baas-Rachal-Staley-Davis----Marshall
------------------------------------------Smith--------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Gore---------------------------------------------

We would have an offense that could score alot of points on the ground and through the air.

No.

We are sitting pretty with 2 first rounders and a 2nd which is fairly good. We should be able to come out with 3 good players.
Share 49ersWebzone