LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Jacksonville drafted/started 2 OTs...Should we?

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
We got 6 sacks against them, I say no, lol.

That doesn't mean the guys are bad picks.

And the answer to this question is no.

Both guys for Jax were BPA. And they didn't have a guy who was cemented at one of the positions for the near future like we do with Staley.

There are certain positions that teams can go crazy with drafting several guys because some positions see several guys at same position out there - receivers, corners.

You can only technically have 2 OT starting out there. Sure you can bring an extra guy in as a tight end on certain run plays...but you're not going to waste an early pick for a guy to do that maybe 2-3 times a game.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
For all the bros out there that are anticipating drafting a RT

Remember our reciever situation first no receiver then an over abundance of receivers

Remember we hav pashoe comming back but we may have to resign him. Remember Alex Boone on our practice squad RT for Oklahoma 6'6 330"Adam Snyder in a pinch Barry Sims making beleiver that he is a LFT.

Pashoe
Alex Boone
Adam Snyder
Barry Sims

Joe Stallworth Staley

I hope Scotty does his homework on the guys we have before investing a First rounder on position we may already have roster.
Originally posted by Elric:
For all the bros out there that are anticipating drafting a RT

Remember our reciever situation first no receiver then an over abundance of receivers

Remember we hav pashoe comming back but we may have to resign him. Remember Alex Boone on our practice squad RT for Oklahoma 6'6 330"Adam Snyder in a pinch Barry Sims making beleiver that he is a LFT.

Pashoe
Alex Boone
Adam Snyder
Barry Sims

Joe Stallworth Staley

I hope Scotty does his homework on the guys we have before investing a First rounder on position we may already have roster.

Clearly none of those are up to the job at Right Tackle and I'd be more than happy to invest one of our first round picks on a Right Tackle either Campbell, Bulaga, Brown, possibly even Black.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Not a chance. When Staley comes back, he will man the OLT spot, no questions asked. The Niners only need a ORT and a OG/C to compete with Baas, Rachal, and Heitmann.

So many options to choose from.

Whoever we get, I'm sure it'll be someone good. If we can trade down, even better.

I'd be ecstatic to land Brandon Graham, Rolando McClain, Bryan Bulaga, or Mike Iupati.

If enough Juniors declare, we could be set to land two outstanding defensive prospects with some great OL still available to snag in the 2nd and beyond. But day one MUST include an OL.

It would be nice to get Graham/McClain/Hughts and Bulaga/Iupati in the first round. I think A. Smith plays better when given some time by the oline. We clearly need oline help this off season. We also need some boost in the pass rush department. Dline has been playing well and we have so good backup as well. So oline, pass rush, and backfield are our priorities.

I think we need sign at least one OG, and a KR. And draft, with our 8 picks, the following..

1 OT who is technically sound.
1 OT/OG versatile OL.
1 OG/C tweener.
1 S
1 CB
1 DL
2 LB

Or, we can substitute one OL or LB for a speed RB/KR or WR/KR guy.

No QB? Happy with Smith, Hill and Davis for another year OTC?
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Not a chance. When Staley comes back, he will man the OLT spot, no questions asked. The Niners only need a ORT and a OG/C to compete with Baas, Rachal, and Heitmann.

So many options to choose from.

Whoever we get, I'm sure it'll be someone good. If we can trade down, even better.

I'd be ecstatic to land Brandon Graham, Rolando McClain, Bryan Bulaga, or Mike Iupati.

If enough Juniors declare, we could be set to land two outstanding defensive prospects with some great OL still available to snag in the 2nd and beyond. But day one MUST include an OL.

It would be nice to get Graham/McClain/Hughts and Bulaga/Iupati in the first round. I think A. Smith plays better when given some time by the oline. We clearly need oline help this off season. We also need some boost in the pass rush department. Dline has been playing well and we have so good backup as well. So oline, pass rush, and backfield are our priorities.

I think we need sign at least one OG, and a KR. And draft, with our 8 picks, the following..

1 OT who is technically sound.
1 OT/OG versatile OL.
1 OG/C tweener.
1 S
1 CB
1 DL
2 LB

Or, we can substitute one OL or LB for a speed RB/KR or WR/KR guy.

No QB? Happy with Smith, Hill and Davis for another year OTC?

So far, I don't see it necessary.

This year's QB class is not particularly appealing either.
No we shouldn't draft 2 OT's and start them both. We already have one very good OT.
Share 49ersWebzone