There are 183 users in the forums

Pre Thanksgiving Mock draft 1st 13 picks

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There is no question in my mind that the Niners should attempt to trade down in round 1 with either or both of their picks. I dont see a great OT that will be sitting there around 11 and think we can move down and get an additional 2nd rd pick.

I think if we stay at #11 and a guy like Joe Haden is there we should take him. A talent like that at a position of need would be hard to pass on in my opinion. I just dont see Trent Williams being worthy of that high of a pick. There is no doubt, however, that the Niners do need to get an OT with one of their first 2 picks in the draft.

Maybe we should trade back into the 2nd or 3rd for more picks, with one of the high picks? If there's not an OT that's worth taking by our 1st pick, why not? We could trade the higher one and keep the one later on, get a 2nd and 3rd or whatever, and get 2 extra players OLineman, and see who sticks. Sebastian Volmer on the Pats was a 2nd rounder and he's their starting LT at the moment.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
speculation speculations speculation

In this writers opionion the number one person that can help usin the draft is

Carlos Dunlap DE 6,6" 290
Reason I believe its the position on or team that needs to go from the less amount of
production to the most amount of strength. In football terms its setting the edge.
I relise I'm throughing Ray Mc Donald under the buss. I do believe He could be effective as a third down rusher. With Justin Smith on the other side and Ketwan Balmer or Soap developing in to NT it could solidify our front three. Who would want to play behind them?

Draft an OLB behind him and hope that they blosoms and ease the pressure off of the reast of the team.
There are several teams that are going to desperate for OL help. The Seahawks have started a couple of guys off the waiver wire at left tackle this year and the heir apparent to Walter Jones hasn't looked much better.

I think they need to go OT with one of their picks but now I'm worried that the best couple of prospects will be off the board already.

I also think it is now obvious that Haralson and Lawson are not going to be playmakers. They need to get an impact player there or the secondary is going to have to be outstanding to negate the opposing QB being able to sit in the pocket for 4 seconds.
Originally posted by ninergold:
There are several teams that are going to desperate for OL help. The Seahawks have started a couple of guys off the waiver wire at left tackle this year and the heir apparent to Walter Jones hasn't looked much better.

I think they need to go OT with one of their picks but now I'm worried that the best couple of prospects will be off the board already.

I also think it is now obvious that Haralson and Lawson are not going to be playmakers. They need to get an impact player there or the secondary is going to have to be outstanding to negate the opposing QB being able to sit in the pocket for 4 seconds.

The Seahawks have 2 first rounders also, their own, which will likely be pretty high and Denver's own (Not Denver's 1st rounder they got from Chicago). I agree that they will be looking for OL help and will also be looking for an RB and QB to replace Hasslebeck long term. I could see them targeting Okung and Spiller. Some people think they have their eye on Jake Locker, but I think Locker would be better off staying for his senior year. But he may come out anyway, to cash in before a rookie salary cap becomes a reality.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
There is no question in my mind that the Niners should attempt to trade down in round 1 with either or both of their picks. I dont see a great OT that will be sitting there around 11 and think we can move down and get an additional 2nd rd pick.

I think if we stay at #11 and a guy like Joe Haden is there we should take him. A talent like that at a position of need would be hard to pass on in my opinion. I just dont see Trent Williams being worthy of that high of a pick. There is no doubt, however, that the Niners do need to get an OT with one of their first 2 picks in the draft.

Maybe we should trade back into the 2nd or 3rd for more picks, with one of the high picks? If there's not an OT that's worth taking by our 1st pick, why not? We could trade the higher one and keep the one later on, get a 2nd and 3rd or whatever, and get 2 extra players OLineman, and see who sticks. Sebastian Volmer on the Pats was a 2nd rounder and he's their starting LT at the moment.

Trading down has it's risks (Rashaun Woods!). The positions we most needs help at are popular ones and not that rich this year, I stand pat or even trade up.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Morgan is a good pass-rusher, but I feel Graham is not only just as good (well, better in my eyes, actually), he fits our system better and comes from a school producing fine hybrid linebacker prospects lately. He's more experienced as well.

I'd take the best available tackle, then go with Graham right now.

I'd be prone to go the same direction, unless someone like Berry or Bryant fell into our laps (highly unlikely based on where we will be drafting).

Another side of me says to take every non-OL off the board, throw all the energy into the OL in the first round, and select the best OT and Mike Iupati (even if we reach), and look to an OLB/WR/KR in next few rounds.

The potential for a:
Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-T. Williams offensive line is pretty appealing.

If we were able (by the grace of God) to get Mankins in FA what would you see going down draft day? Would you still want to target Iupati, make Chilo the primary backup and release Wragge?

The Niners would probably target a Will or Sam backer. The combo we have simply is not getting the job done.

I think Chilo is going to get another year as the starter. I have seen slight improvements the past couple of weeks, which is heartening. He is still not playing at a high level. The problem is still primarily with Snyder. The QB sneak on the first possession showed that he doesn't have the lateral ability to play the position, as Jenkins beat him to the QB (Heitmann and Rachal actually had a decent push on the play).

I don't think Snyder was ever in the plans to become the starter. Marvel Smith and Pashos were given opportunities to play in front of him. The tackle position next year might be the return of pashos while the future draft choice learns from the bench. Snyder will return to primary back up at one guard position and a secondary back up at tackle.

I agree that chilo will be given another opportunity. Although I don't think it will be the end of the world if he is benched in favor of wragge. I have more patience with O Lineman than any other position.
This draft isn't that strong, if there isn't a drop and some player we HAVE to take, trade down.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
This draft isn't that strong, if there isn't a drop and some player we HAVE to take, trade down.

Not sure I see the logic here. So we get more (in your view) not that strong players.

If things start to turn that way, why not trade up? But bottom line is, nothing I have read indicates that this is a weak draft year. Better, as usual, for some positions than others, but hey...

And if events force quantities of juniors to declare, well then....
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

If there isn't a player that drops or HAS to be taken, we most likely won't be able to trade down. This isn't Madden, trading is a two way street. In order to trade down, you need a trade partner that wants to trade up.
  • Kush_Man16
  • Info N/A
since when was denver 4-6.......we need sam bradford to frop to us in a major way

Originally posted by Kush_Man16:
since when was denver 4-6.......we need sam bradford to frop to us in a major way

Read the whole post, Kush Man. Denver owns Chicago's first round pick next year.
we need a lot of help on D and O so these make sense
Share 49ersWebzone