LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 336 users in the forums

Should we address the secondary through the draft or free agency?

I think we should address it through free agency:

sign a quality cover corner (perhaps Carlos Rogers) and move Clements to safety. Clements would make a stellar safety, IMHO.

We then use our draft picks to take offensive linemen all day.
Any way we can get it done. I don't care how it is done. We need to get the players in and then Singletary can coach them. I want to see us cut those who can not help and get players in who can actually get it done. I think we should be settled by now that Snyder is a backup and not all that good as a backup either.

We need to get rid of our backup center, Roman, Snyder and have to make a tough decision about Clements. If they move him to safety and let Lewis go then we need more secondary help. We also need to decide about Harris if he should come back, and Bly as well. We need 2-4 people through FA and Draft. We also need development from our former picks as well. We need Smith and Goldson to continue to develop and we need some more help from our practice squad.

So lots of work to do and this offseason will be busy.
I'm going to be a huge advocate of getting a corner.

Either draft or free agency. Walt Harris, Nate Clements, maybe even Dre Bly. Huge question marks for this secondary.
Originally posted by Reckless:
I'm going to be a huge advocate of getting a corner.

Either draft or free agency. Walt Harris, Nate Clements, maybe even Dre Bly. Huge question marks for this secondary.

Agree. I think we should look at Brian Jackson from Oklahoma. As someone pointed out in another thread he shut down Jordan Shipley all game.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
We've addressed our secondary for the most part in free agency.

Clements, Lewis, Bly, Roman, and Harris (IR now) were all free agent additions.
I'm more concerned about M. Lewis' concussion history than anything else. To me, the team needs to look at safety before corner.
Our secondary is more of a secondary (no pun intended) concern. Our top off season priorities should be, must be.

OL
OL
OL
Pass rush
KR/PR
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm more concerned about M. Lewis' concussion history than anything else. To me, the team needs to look at safety before corner.

Lewis should be history after this year and the Niners definitely could use some speed back there to support their corners. Besides Berry and Mays, there are a couple of other interesting safety prospects:

Myron Rolle Florida St
Major Wright Florida
Kam Chancellor Va Tech
Nate Allen South Florida

Unless R. Smith shows us something we haven't seen yet in the offseason and training camp, this has to be a consideration in the draft.
I prefer to address this need through the draft. The only way we go secondary first is if Berry is sitting there and the top tackles are already taken and pass rushers are taken.

Does anyone else think that if we get the need at OL, S, and OLB taken care of, that we can be a top 10 team on BOTH sides of the ball, regardless of who the QB is?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Lewis should be history after this year and the Niners definitely could use some speed back there to support their corners. Besides Berry and Mays, there are a couple of other interesting safety prospects:

Myron Rolle Florida St
Major Wright Florida
Kam Chancellor Va Tech
Nate Allen South Florida

Unless R. Smith shows us something we haven't seen yet in the offseason and training camp, this has to be a consideration in the draft.

Major Wright makes Rolle look like a kid in the talent department, Rolle is vastly over rated by many IMO.

Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Myron Rolle Florida St
Major Wright Florida
Kam Chancellor Va Tech
Nate Allen South Florida

Major Wright makes Rolle look like a kid in the talent department, Rolle is vastly over rated by many IMO.

That being said, what round would you take Wright as our future SS?
I think we should definitely acquire CBs through the draft. IMO, a 3-4 defense doesn't need shutdown CBs. As long as there's decent pressure, our secondary will be fine. Brown and Spencer have played just as well as Walt/Clements, at a fraction of the price.

It's a tradeoff though. Rarely can you draft a guy that's ready to make an immediate impact. As long as we can keep a supply of quality CBs, we'll be alright. We just have to realize that they'll need a few years before they're ready to start/contribute.

Plus, we're getting beat in the middle of the field. Teams keep spreading us out and hitting their TE/slot or beating us with the HB screens. Adding a high-priced CB isn't going to change that.
Walter Thurmond III from Oregon, hes a playmaker who is now out for the season, but he could be a steal in the later rounds
Share 49ersWebzone