LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

November's Mock Premiere by OnTheClock is here.

love it!!
Great Mock OTC...except for the Brown pick....in my eyes he's strictly a LT....he's not good at run blocking at all. Williams on the other hand would be an ideal RT....he dominated at that position as a Junior and only had struggles when he moved to the LT position.

I actually prefer Ciron Black....he's a beast and doesn't miss games(He also faces tougher defenses).....he may even be available in the 2nd round.

Great work...I can't wait for the draft.

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Nov 9, 2009 at 19:41:31 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hey, what do you know? The title even rhymes.

** Considerations and Expectations: We'll likely sign a veteran KR/PR and possibly add at least one FA OL.

2010 NFL Draft:

1. Charles Brown-OT-USC, 6-5 295 5.16

Plain and simple, we need a top-tier pass-protect who has the ability to shift and play on both sides of the line. Trent Williams has shown he would struggle severely if forced to play left tackle, and that's not what we want in a 1st round pick. This is why we need a guy like Brown, who I seriously doubt we'd shy away from even if he weighs in at around 295 at the combine, which he likely won't (I expect him to be more near 300). His immense talent and great athleticism could make him a top 20 pick come draft-time, and I'd be happy to have him here.

Who calls the English teacher "Daddy-O"?
Great stuff OTC!

What are your thoughts on Brandon Graham? Where do you think he gets drafted?
You're a poet and you don't even know it

Not flashy, but solid and addresses all the needs. Like DaveWilcox, I might question the Charles Brown pick because of his size. However, that is not a big issue. Love the Iupati and Schofield picks! Nice work, OTC!
Hey OTC what do you think about Myron Rolle at the SS position? I personally think he's a good 2nd or 3rd round prospect with potential to be a 1st round talent. I think the year off will hurt him but after next year he may be able to replace Lewis(I think Lewis has 1 more season left in the tank). Thoughts?
As always,

[applaud]

I look forward to your future mocks.

By the way, do you see our Carolina pick in the top 10...ok, let's just say that's the given for my point...

Do you think it feasible and attainable to acquire Berry if we are top 10. Do you see Scotty doing it or waiting for someone to drop? I believe that any player worth it like a Peterson, a Manning, a Polamalu, a Willis, ...we need that kind of break out player and it looks like Berry is almost a sure thing the same with Suh...guys just make plays.

I love Iupati and I hope he lands on our squad, but Mankins would be nice too, maybe McNeil.

I love the way this next year will shape out in FA and the draft. We have a great chance to increase the talent on this team!
Not bad, I like where you strategy is for setting up the offensive line.

I believe our first priority is the line. However, with Walt Harris and Nate Clements question marks I think corner is just a big a need as the offensive line.
You want to select Iupati with a top 20 pick? Goodness... I'm not sure he's a surefire stud OG to be taken that high. Maybe in the 2nd round, which is still high for an OG prospect. I'm more partial to taking a pass rusher or DB with that 2nd pick, maybe Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham or Joe Haden. Maybe even a guy like Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hey, what do you know? The title even rhymes.

** Considerations and Expectations: We'll likely sign a veteran KR/PR and possibly add at least one FA OL.

2010 NFL Draft:

Plain and simple, we need a top-tier pass-protect who has the ability to shift and play on both sides of the line. Trent Williams has shown he would struggle severely if forced to play left tackle, and that's not what we want in a 1st round pick. This is why we need a guy like Brown, who I seriously doubt we'd shy away from even if he weighs in at around 295 at the combine, which he likely won't (I expect him to be more near 300). His immense talent and great athleticism could make him a top 20 pick come draft-time, and I'd be happy to have him here.

1. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho, 6-5 330 5.20
Iupati is hands down the best OG prospect right now. He's a team captain, and he's got the look, the size, the strength, the power, the nastiness. Everything you look for in an NFL player. This is why scouts have him tabbed as a 1st-round prospect, and in the second half of the 1st round, we could be in excellent position to select him. Iupati is an absolute monster out there. Watching him each game is like watching a man take on small children in a wrestling match. Iupati manhandles opposing players, often tossing them aside as if they were mere ragdolls. Adding Mike Iupati would bring us a massive anchor at LG for some time to come.

2. O'Brien Schofield-OLB-Wisconsin, 6-2 248 4.63
What's so special about Schofield? Easy. His greatest trait is his ability to disengage and shed the blocks of tackles playing End at 6-2 248 pounds for Wisconsin. Schofield already has extensive experience playing linebacker before, so he not only knows how to rush the passer, he also knows how to drop into coverage and play standing-up, making him a perfect fit as a 3-4 pass rusher. Something that is important to note is that Schofield's fantastic numbers (16.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 2 FF, 5 QB hurries) he's posting this year are all coming against top-notch competition. He had 2 TFL against previously #4 ranked Iowa, and 2 sacks with 1.5 TFL (not including the sacks) against both Minnesota and Ohio State. This tells us he's no pretender, which could be concerns for guys like Lindsey Witten of UConn who seem to only be dominating lower-level competition. I believe if Schofield has a good showing at the combine, he'll rise from his current 3rd round grade up into the middle of the 2nd.

3. Brian Jackson-CB-Oklahoma, 6-0 200 4.54
Jackson flat out shut down Jordan Shipley (who recently set a UT record with 270+ receiving yards) when Texas played Oklahoma this year, limiting him to just 24 yards receiving. Jackson is the kind of big, physical cover corner we need here in San Francisco. He excels in man-to-man and press coverage, and his ability to shut down fast/quick receivers like Shipley is something we're really missing right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Jackson is on the 49ers radar already.

4. Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee, 6-2 327 5.23
Williams has made a very quick rise with some stellar play this year, putting up some terrific performances over the last few weeks. Overshadowed by other stars on the Tennesse defense, Williams holds his own along the DL. Both against the run and the pass, he is adept at penetrating the line with his fantastic combination of quickness, power, and ferocity. His numbers aren't huge, but for an interior defensive lineman, he's doing very, very well. Williams has 9 QB pressures with 4.5 tackles for loss and 1 sack on the year.

5. Kyle McCarthy-SS-Notre Dame, 6-0 210 4.58
While not from a lesser known program in the least, McCarthy has quietly been an outstanding performer this year, and with his continued success, I can see him rising very quickly up the boards into early day two. One of the most sure tacklers you might ever see and extremely underrated in coverage, he already has 5 interceptions this year, 1 TFL, and 3 Pass break-ups. He has also moved around playing both FS and SS. McCarthy is one player in particular that I really hope the 49ers have their eyes on and possibly would draft in 2010. He's one of the top safeties of the draft, in my mind.

6. Derek Hardman-OL-Eastern Kentucky, 6-6 300 5.23
Just an incredibly hard worker. Hardman can play on both sides of the line having started at both the right and left tackle spots in his career, spending his first two years at RT and last year and this year at LT. Last year, he was First team All-Ohio Valley at left tackle, and was noted as having caught a substantial amount of attention from many NFL scouts who believe that Hardman is a very special talent. It would seem his team believed this from the beginning, as he was voted their Most Valuable Lineman in his very first season as a starter.

7. Arthur Moats-OLB-James Madison, 6-0 250 4.58

This kid has had a sack and/or a tackle for loss in every single game this season except for one (a 35-38 loss to Maryland) and has really turned some heads after his marked improvement this season. Last year he finished with 8 sacks; This year he already has 9.5 to go along with 21 Tackles For Loss and 1 FF. He has 72 total tackles. Moats does not have great height and will probably measure in at around 5-11, but his 4.5-4.6 speed and high motor, much like Elvis Dumervil, make him one of the best players in the FCS and a player to keep your eyes on in the later rounds when looking at developmental pass-rushers.

UDFA: David Pender-CB/FS-Purdue

How about

1. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho, 6-5 330 5.20
2. Jon Asamoah-OG-Illinois, 6-4 315 5.08
3. J.D. Walton-C-Baylor, 6-3 305 5.19

The only current linemen worth keeping is Staley

[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 9, 2009 at 23:51:43 ]

Charles Brown-OT-USC got molested by dexter davis. had horrific game against of all the teams the sundevils. pass
Originally posted by darkknight49:
this aint happening. It makes too much sense!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
this aint happening. It makes too much sense!

I really like this mock, OTC. I think you may have me convinced in taking two o-lineman in the draft instead of CJ Spiller and Iupati. The only thing I would rather prefer is selecting Brandon Graham in the 2nd round instead, but a lot can happen from now to the draft.

One more thing, I absolutely LOVE that you put my boy Dan Williams on your mock! LOVE IT!

[ Edited by SF69ers on Nov 10, 2009 at 09:56:37 ]
OTC.. as always you do a nice job on your mock. Just a couple of things:

1) Just curious if you think Charles Brown can transition to the mauling type RT. I doubt that the team moves Staley. I like Brown but wonder if Bulaga might not be a better fit. I think either would be solid though.

2) Iupati.. really like the pick but not if we have 2 picks in lets say top 12. In the past decade there has been 1 OG selected that high and Iupati does play against inferior competition. I think the Niners could trade down to 20, get a 2rd or 3rd rd pick and still select him. I just dont see Iupati being a top 15 selection.

3) Schofield.. I just really wonder if that isnt a bit of a reach. Do you have him rated higher than Hughes, Graham, Kindle, and Norwood? All of those guys are bigger and have been generally rated much higher than most.

I really like the order by position though:
1) OT
2) OG
3) OLB
4) DB - cb or fs
Share 49ersWebzone