LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

See OG Mike Iupati: Fresno State at Idaho. (ESPNU)

Iupati missed the last series.
Sounds like he went out with a concussion.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
It does not look like he will last into the second round, so where does he go in the first and would he be a better pick than an OT?

If we address both in the first round, then the issue is moot.

He's definitely a mid-first round draft pick. He's the best OG and an instant starter on the O-line.

How about Cody/Hughes and Iupati in the first round and Fox/Brown in the second?

Hughes and Iupati would be a good first round. But I think we'll be able to trade back and still get Hughes in the late teens/early 20s.
I've had the chance to see him play three times this year, and he's just a big and mobile guy. Has room to grow in size, since he carries his weight so well.

Obviously, the Niners or Panthers would need to seriously win some games, since both teams are on track to pick in the first 15 selections.

As you know, teams are not going to burn a mid-first rounder on an interior offensive lineman, so the Niners would need to trade down in the first round. I've got Iupati going somewhere in that 22-29th overall pick.

I love this kid, and can't wait to see him perform in the offseason All-Star games and combine. His lateral mobility is a thing to watch.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I've had the chance to see him play three times this year, and he's just a big and mobile guy. Has room to grow in size, since he carries his weight so well.

Obviously, the Niners or Panthers would need to seriously win some games, since both teams are on track to pick in the first 15 selections.

As you know, teams are not going to burn a mid-first rounder on an interior offensive lineman, so the Niners would need to trade down in the first round. I've got Iupati going somewhere in that 22-29th overall pick.

I love this kid, and can't wait to see him perform in the offseason All-Star games and combine. His lateral mobility is a thing to watch.

It makes a LOT of sense for the Niners to take an OT with the first pick (Bulaga or Brown) and then move down to the 20s, get a 2nd rd pick, and select Iupati. That would be the dream scenario. Use the 2 second rd picks to get an OLB and a DB and this team could turn around quickly.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Nov 9, 2009 at 17:40:45 ]
would you guys take the chance of losing out on Iupati by trading down?

I mean he is a mid to late 1st rounder now, but by the time the draft rolls around he could be a 12-20 pick.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

I mean he is a mid to late 1st rounder now, but by the time the draft rolls around he could be a 12-20 pick.

Yes. I would take that risk. In this decade there hasnt been a true OG selected in the top 15 and only 3 guys selected before 20. These were guys from big time schools like Steve Hutchison. I just cannot see Iupati taken before the 20s.
is he playing RG or LG???
Originally posted by abowers1984:
is he playing RG or LG???

LEFT
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think you guys overlook Combines and Pro days, shoot even the Senior Bowl. Those events will make or break your stock.
what are our chances of drafting him if he continues his play?

carolina is starting to get it together as well

he is a top 20- pick i see both of our picks in top 20 and we have to get a RT and OG i think well be set and have a good season

we could use him bad
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It makes a LOT of sense for the Niners to take an OT with the first pick (Bulaga or Brown) and then move down to the 20s, get a 2nd rd pick, and select Iupati. That would be the dream scenario. Use the 2 second rd picks to get an OLB and a DB and this team could turn around quickly.

Brown is a bit overrated IMO - and I am a rabid USC fan... The OT that has caught my attention is Anthony Davis from Rutgers. Im watching the replay of his game against South Florida and he is absolutely tooling George Selvie with ZERO help.

Kid has an enormous frame - 6'5" 328lbs, but has probably the top lateral quickness of any OT I have seen this year beside Okung.

As it stands right now - My top three priorites in next year's draft are as follows:

1. Jerry Hughes
2. Mike Iupati
3. Anthony Davis

In order to achieve this feat, we would probably need to part with our top selection for a later 1st and a 2nd, then trade back up into the 1st with our 2 2nds. If done however, this will solidify our offensive line and defensive front seven for years to come and provide us with the necessary foundation on which to build a consistent winner

[ Edited by abowers1984 on Nov 13, 2009 at 00:47:32 ]
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Brown is a bit overrated IMO - and I am a rabid USC fan... The OT that has caught my attention is Anthony Davis from Rutgers. Im watching the replay of his game against South Florida and he is absolutely tooling George Selvie with ZERO help.

Kid has an enormous frame - 6'5" 328lbs, but has probably the top lateral quickness of any OT I have seen this year beside Okung.

As it stands right now - My top three priorites in next year's draft are as follows:

1. Jerry Hughes
2. Mike Iupati
3. Anthony Davis

In order to achieve this feat, we would probably need to part with our top selection for a later 1st and a 2nd, then trade back up into the 1st with our 2 2nds. If done however, this will solidify our offensive line and defensive front seven for years to come and provide us with the necessary foundation on which to build a consistent winner

I would love those 3 no matter what order they were selected. They would address our greatest needs. I just do not want us to pick a rb or wr in the first 2 rounds.
What we need is a G and a RT. These don't usually require an early 1st round pick. That's usually reserved for guys who will be LTs.
He made Scott Wright's Hot List this week, here are his comments and link:

"Playing at the University of Idaho Mike Iupati doesn’t get a lot of notice nationally but he could end up being the top prospect at his position in this year’s draft. A mammoth mountain of a man at 6’6 and 330 pounds, Iupati has really turned heads while playing left tackle for the Vandals but he will most likely move inside to offensive guard at the next level. Iupati is an athletic blocker but he isn’t afraid to punch an opponent in the mouth when needed either. This past week against Fresno State Iupati was asked to take on two blockers at a time on a number of plays in an effort to keep his quarterback upright. His team ultimately lost the game but Iupati looked excellent, continuing to dominate against WAC defensive linemen. Interior blockers were a premium in last year’s NFL Draft, with two (Cal’s Alex Mack and Louisville’s Eric Wood) coming off the board in round one. Right now Iupati is considered to be a fringe first round talent and he may sit atop the draft boards of teams looking to bolster their line."

Draft Countdown Hot list
Share 49ersWebzone