There are 181 users in the forums

New Scott Wright (Draftcountdown) Mock

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I would hate if we took a S, but if we did it had better be Earl Thomas, who actually is a playmaker.

Thomas has been getting a little run on the draft boards lately. I have only seen a few Texas games, but the guy usually makes some plays whenever I catch them on the TV. What are his measureables? Is he a FS or SS prospect?

I've seen every game he's played and he just gets better and better. Similar in size to Ed Reed, 5'10 197, but has a knack for big plays. I'd like to see him get another year of experience, but that's unlikely given his stock now:

Third-year safety who has started 23 games over the last two years ... named to the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award (top defensive back) ... owns 120 tackles, including 80 solos, six TFL, 30 PBU, five forced fumbles, eight INTs, two TDs and one blocked punt for his career ... started all 13 games at strong safety in 2008 ... named first-team Freshman All-America by College Football News and The Sporting News ... tabbed honorable mention All-Big 12 ... was seond on the team with 63 tackles ... led the team with 17 PBU (No. 1 on UT's all-time freshman list) ... also tallied two INTs, three TFL, four forced fumbles and a blocked punt ... gained valuable experience working at both safety and cornerback as a redshirt in 2007 ... was a four-sport letterman and an honor roll student as a prepster ... tabbed all-state as a senior ... was a three-year starter at DB, RB and WR ... also lettered in basketball, baseball and track and field.

SOPHOMORE (2009)
Started 10 games at safety ... named to the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award (top defensive back) ... has 48 tackles, including 29 solos, six TFL,12 PBU, six INTs and two TDs on the season ... tallied five INTs over a four-game stretch between Texas Tech and Oklahoma games ... named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week on Sep. 28 for his effort against UTEP and on Oct. 19 for his effort vs. Oklahoma ... logged three tackles and two PBU against ULM ... registered two tackles and two PBU at Wyoming ... notched a team-high 10 tackles, one INT and two PBU against Texas Tech ... tallied two INTs and one tackle versus UTEP ... returned an INT 92-yards for a TD (t-No. 2 on the UT list for longest INT returns) and logged four tackles against Colorado ... notched one INT, seven tackles, two TFL, one forced fumble and three PBU versus Oklahoma ... tallied a team-high eight tackles at Missouri ... returned an INT 31 yards for a TD and logged two tackles and two PBU at Oklahoma State ... logged six tackles versus UCF.

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (2008)
Started all 13 games at safety ... also a key contributor on special teams ... named first-team Freshman All-America by the Football Writers Association of America, College Football News and The Sporting News ... tabbed honorable mention All-Big 12 by The Associated Press and the league's coaches ... named UT's Most Productive Defensive Performer three times ... recorded 72 tackles (51 solo), two INTs, 17 PBU (No. 1 on UT's all-time freshman list), three TFL, four forced fumbles and a blocked punt ... opened his collegiate career by tallying five tackles, two PBU, a forced fumble and a blocked punt against FAU ... notched six tackles at UTEP ... tallied three tackles versus Rice ... recorded four tackles and a PBU against Arkansas ... added two tackles and two PBU at Colorado ... posted three tackles, two INTs, two PBU and a forced fumble against No. 1 Oklahoma ... logged five tackles versus No. 11 Missouri ... tallied nine tackles, two PBU, a pressure and a forced fumble against No. 7 Oklahoma State ... notched 10 tackles and two PBU at No. 6 Texas Tech ... recorded five tackles, three TFL, two PBU, a pressure and a forced fumble versus Baylor ... posted five tackles and two PBU at Kansas ... added six tackles and a pressure against Texas A&M ... logged a team-high nine tackles and two PBU versus No. 10 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl ... redshirted in 2007
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Chief:
I would be happy with the 10th pick being Mays but hopefully our next pick isn't until much later.

That would be a horrible pick... Taylor Mays (as Ive said the whole time) has zero ball skills and is a very average cover safety. He only excells at decapitating WRs coming across the middle.

And Im a USC alum...

Agreed. Mays wouldn't grade out anything higher than 3rd round in my book.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
I would be happy with the 10th pick being Mays but hopefully our next pick isn't until much later.

That would be a horrible pick... Taylor Mays (as Ive said the whole time) has zero ball skills and is a very average cover safety. He only excells at decapitating WRs coming across the middle.

And Im a USC alum...

Hes going to be a Raider

And Im a USC alum...

You need a new book, my friend. Mays may not be a complete safety, but he's a definite 1st rounder by just about every (and everyone's) measure.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

And Im a USC alum...

You need a new book, my friend. Mays may not be a complete safety, but he's a definite 1st rounder by just about every (and everyone's) measure.

You are probably correct with that Ghost. I just pray he isnt a first round selection for our team. He is way overrated in my opinion.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

And Im a USC alum...

You are probably correct with that Ghost. I just pray he isnt a first round selection for our team. He is way overrated in my opinion.

I think his "overrated label" is overrated as well, if thats possible. I don't care if USC homers hate on him too, he is a solid player and could be a great safety. He doesn't often get a chance to make plays it seems, since whenever I watch USC he is in a deep position playing a last resort role rather than a playmaker role.

He's not my first pick for the 9ers, but I wont whine and cry if we pick him.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

And Im a USC alum...

I think his "overrated label" is overrated as well, if thats possible. I don't care if USC homers hate on him too, he is a solid player and could be a great safety. He doesn't often get a chance to make plays it seems, since whenever I watch USC he is in a deep position playing a last resort role rather than a playmaker role.

I just dont see why he is considered an elite first rd prospect other than his size and speed. Yes, he is big and fast. I just do not think he has great ball skills nor really a solid tackler. He goes for the big hit way too often and just doesnt make impact plays. Maybe I am missing something here. I have watched virtually every USC game and I'm not impressed at all.

And Im a USC alum...

He's overrated in the sense that he's probably not the top-10 talent that many projected him to be (me included), but he's definitely the type of talent that grades out as a 1st rounder and will likely be a more effective/productive pro safety than he was in college.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

And Im a USC alum...

I just dont see why he is considered an elite first rd prospect other than his size and speed. Yes, he is big and fast. I just do not think he has great ball skills nor really a solid tackler. He goes for the big hit way too often and just doesnt make impact plays. Maybe I am missing something here. I have watched virtually every USC game and I'm not impressed at all.

just hire a USC alum to be the safety coach in one ronnie lott. im sure hes down to help out a former trojan if need be.

i would like to stay away from him but i wouldnt be killing myself if we do get him. i want eric berry. god that mans good.
Don't want Mays!

Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't want Mays!

And Im a USC alum...

He's overrated in the sense that he's probably not the top-10 talent that many projected him to be (me included), but he's definitely the type of talent that grades out as a 1st rounder and will likely be a more effective/productive pro safety than he was in college.

What makes you say that?

The argument that Carrol simply uses him as a last line of defense and nothing more is absolutely bogus by the way... The guy had the most game experience of any player on the trojan D this year and was called upon to do much more than simply protect against the deep ball. His only major impediment this year was the knee injury he sustained early in the season, but other than that he again failed to stand out and be a difference maker.

Im not saying that he will absolutely fall out of the 1st, just that he doesnt deserve to go in the top 20

And Im a USC alum...

What makes you say that?

The argument that Carrol simply uses him as a last line of defense and nothing more is absolutely bogus by the way... The guy had the most game experience of any player on the trojan D this year and was called upon to do much more than simply protect against the deep ball. His only major impediment this year was the knee injury he sustained early in the season, but other than that he again failed to stand out and be a difference maker.

Im not saying that he will absolutely fall out of the 1st, just that he doesnt deserve to go in the top 20

Dude, he's the leading tackler on the USC defense and he's done that on a bum knee that's just now starting to heal. I didn't say he was going to turn into Ed Reed or something, but a smart defensive coordinator can use someone with Mays' size/talent very much like the Cards use Adrian Wilson or even how the Eagles used Brian Dawkins for many years...as a big-time enforcer in the secondary and an extra body in the box. There's no guarantee that he'll be successful, but with his tools, attitude and work ethic, it's hard seeing him as a bust in the NFL (IMO).

And Im a USC alum...

What makes you say that?

Dude, he's the leading tackler on the USC defense and he's done that on a bum knee that's just now starting to heal. I didn't say he was going to turn into Ed Reed or something, but a smart defensive coordinator can use someone with Mays' size/talent very much like the Cards use Adrian Wilson or even how the Eagles used Brian Dawkins for many years...as a big-time enforcer in the secondary and an extra body in the box. There's no guarantee that he'll be successful, but with his tools, attitude and work ethic, it's hard seeing him as a bust in the NFL (IMO).

Big difference between being a bust and being someone who should be taken in the first round at the safety position. In my opinion a safety should ONLY be taken in round 1 if he is a true game changer and ball hawker. Ed Reed, Troy P... there arent too many that are in that category. I think Berry will be that kind of guy but would be very very surprised if Mays ever lives up to that. I really would not want him in rounds 1 or 2 given the more important priorities of this team and his lack of production.

And Im a USC alum...

What makes you say that?

Big difference between being a bust and being someone who should be taken in the first round at the safety position. In my opinion a safety should ONLY be taken in round 1 if he is a true game changer and ball hawker. Ed Reed, Troy P... there arent too many that are in that category. I think Berry will be that kind of guy but would be very very surprised if Mays ever lives up to that. I really would not want him in rounds 1 or 2 given the more important priorities of this team and his lack of production.

Hard to argue with that logic, but the "potential" that an athlete like Mays has (size/speed/triangle numbers, etc.) will have him drafted somewhere in the 1st...just the way things are.
Share 49ersWebzone