LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

This Draft is Slowly Falling Apart for the WR class

Originally posted by jreff22:
Do you still assume Bryant is the 1st WR taken?

Easily. The difference could be ten plus picks.
Most of Syracuse quit a long time ago, Williams just made it official.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

LOL Ouch

Anyway what about Brandon LaFell and Marshawn Gilyard? Their stocks are pretty high right? LaFell has 8 TDs so far on the season, and Gilyard's been a beast. Isn't there a pretty good WR from USC, Damian Williams is a junior right? I mean it's not going to be the WR class it was last year but I doubt it'll be as bad as you all are saying.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by boomer49er:

LOL Ouch

Anyway what about Brandon LaFell and Marshawn Gilyard? Their stocks are pretty high right? LaFell has 8 TDs so far on the season, and Gilyard's been a beast. Isn't there a pretty good WR from USC, Damian Williams is a junior right? I mean it's not going to be the WR class it was last year but I doubt it'll be as bad as you all are saying.

What about that dude from Notre Dame, Golden Tate or whatever. I know he's short but that doesn't matter too much if you can play. Is he fast?
Tate has been the best WR on Notre Dame this year in the absence of Floyd. I don't think he'd come out unless Clausen does. But with his exceptional production at a major program and his terrific speed, he'd go in day one, almost certainly.

He's not that small really. 5-11 195, Percy Harvin-sized. If he declared, I really wouldn't be opposed to nabbing him in the 2nd, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the trigger on him, too.

I have to wonder what we're going to do with guys like Hill and Jones though. Sure, they'll get more playing time next year, but neither seem particularly pleased with their roles now, and my hope is that they don't cause a ruckus because of that.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tate has been the best WR on Notre Dame this year in the absence of Floyd. I don't think he'd come out unless Clausen does. But with his exceptional production at a major program and his terrific speed, he'd go in day one, almost certainly.

He's not that small really. 5-11 195, Percy Harvin-sized. If he declared, I really wouldn't be opposed to nabbing him in the 2nd, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled the trigger on him, too.

I have to wonder what we're going to do with guys like Hill and Jones though. Sure, they'll get more playing time next year, but neither seem particularly pleased with their roles now, and my hope is that they don't cause a ruckus because of that.

Yea I like Tate also. But Jones and Hill aren't good enough to even cause a ruckus if they do just get rid of them. I alwasy thought the signing of Jones was a mistake especially at that price. Regardless of Crabtree he just isn't nothing more than a 3rd string WR. Hill isn't great either. all he has done is run a fast .40 time at the combine. Hopefully they can contribute but to be honest they aren't even worth the trouble if they did cause any.

and this whole draft is startign to fall off. I'm all for draftign guys in teh trneches in this draft. a lot of these skill positions just aren't looking to strong in this draft class. Teams gonna really have to do some homework.

Both better stay or I will
Originally posted by jreff22:

Both better stay or I will

Get ready to cry joe I think Clausen will be in the discussion as 1st qb drafted. If that's the case go in the draft. Plus I think some of these guys are worried about a rookie cap the following year so it's better to come out sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Yea I like Tate also. But Jones and Hill aren't good enough to even cause a ruckus if they do just get rid of them. I alwasy thought the signing of Jones was a mistake especially at that price. Regardless of Crabtree he just isn't nothing more than a 3rd string WR. Hill isn't great either. all he has done is run a fast .40 time at the combine. Hopefully they can contribute but to be honest they aren't even worth the trouble if they did cause any.

and this whole draft is startign to fall off. I'm all for draftign guys in teh trneches in this draft. a lot of these skill positions just aren't looking to strong in this draft class. Teams gonna really have to do some homework.

In whatever OL that we may draft, I think we need to look for a solid balance of maulers, technique-and-finesse guys, and of course the versatile all-around players. My hope is that out of 8 picks currently, 3 are OL. That allows for one of each. We need more than one-trick ponies, and we've got to have someone who could swing back and forth between LT and RT without issue. This is why I'm opposed to selecting Trent Williams. Charles Brown, Bulaga, and Fox even are better prospects overall right now.

If we choose, we can always upgrade in FA as well. That opens up other positions for the draft, of course.
I like Arrelius Ben.

Maddog and OTC, what do you think of Emmanuel Sanders, Wr out of SMU. I know its kind of random, but hes projected to go 3-5 depending on his combine numbers..you guys got anything on him?
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Maddog and OTC, what do you think of Emmanuel Sanders, Wr out of SMU. I know its kind of random, but hes projected to go 3-5 depending on his combine numbers..you guys got anything on him?

I think it's more 5th-6th for Sanders. I could see him going in the 4th if he happens to clock in the 4.3's, which is feasible. His school hurts him, but he's got the makings of a decent potential slot WR. He's a 4.4 kind of guy and His KR/PR abilities are a plus, too. He won't be a huge redzone threat (only 2 TDs this year), but the guy is talented. He's set numerous school records already -- though if you think about it.. it's been a long time since SMU has had anyone NFL worthy at wide-receiver.

He hasn't broken 1000 yards in a season yet, but this could be his year.
hey my good man OTC, Looking at Bulaga, what is the knock against him? From what i have seen, i like that player alot.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
hey my good man OTC, Looking at Bulaga, what is the knock against him? From what i have seen, i like that player alot.

A major concern earlier in the year was an apparent Thyroid condition, which has supposedly passed and is no longer a problem, but you can bet he'll be thoroughly checked out by doctors if he declares.

As far as knocks on him. I really don't see much. In the run game, he turns his man and takes them out of the play with ease. In the passing game, it's the same thing, the rushers never seem to get there. He's just good on his feet. Unlike Anthony Davis, who by my observations can be very sloppy. Bulaga is the most sound in technique among underclassmen OT's.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:

A major concern earlier in the year was an apparent Thyroid condition, which has supposedly passed and is no longer a problem, but you can bet he'll be thoroughly checked out by doctors if he declares.

As far as knocks on him. I really don't see much. In the run game, he turns his man and takes them out of the play with ease. In the passing game, it's the same thing, the rushers never seem to get there. He's just good on his feet. Unlike Anthony Davis, who by my observations can be very sloppy. Bulaga is the most sound in technique among underclassmen OT's.

OTC.. I agree that the Niners need to draft a versatile OT who is equally as good pass blocking as run blocking. I have to admit that I havent seen Bulaga play except for 1 game but from what you say he sounds like what we need. I just wonder if Williams will more likely the pick given that we need a RT and is the mauler type that Singletary likes.
Share 49ersWebzone