There are 227 users in the forums

OTC Feature: Unknown Players Needed to be Known.

I felt I should discuss at least few players that are playing very, very well right now -- players going unnoticed that are flying under the radar -- that I believe deserve some major recognition for what they're accomplishing right now.

QB Bill Stull, 6-3 215 4.86, Pittsburgh
Stull is much improved from last year and currently has put up 1654 passing yards with 16 TDs to only 4 INTs, while adding 1 Rushing touchdown. Possessing adequate size and mobility, Stull -- while he doesn't have a rocket arm -- throws with nice touch and accuracy on his passes. He has quietly led Pitt to 7-1 record so far this season.

WR Freddie Barnes, 6-1 206 4.65, Bowling Green
Say what you wish about his forty time, the man has been absolutely on fire this year. Eight games through the season he already has surpassed 1000 yards. His current totals on the year? How about 99 receptions for 1054 yards and 9 TDs. That's not a typo. He has NINETY NINE catches. That means he's averaging over 12 catches per game and 1 TD per game. Just to add.. He's also ran for 30 yards and 1 TD this year. His best performance so far was a 22 catch, 278 yard, 3 TD performance against Kent St. (BGU won 36-35). His 22 catches were 1 less than the NCAA record. He leads the NCAA in catches and nobody is even close to him, and I seriously down anyone will catch up to Barnes. Even with teams double-teaming him now, he can't be stopped. While Barnes lacks speed, his precise route-running, strength after the catch, and terrific hands make him someone who has to be drafted in April -- at least late -- despite the lack of speed and less-recognized program he's in.

DE/OLB Arthur Moats, 6-0 250 4.58, James Madison
This kid has had a sack and a tackle for loss in every single game this season except for one (a 35-38 loss to Maryland) and has really turned some heads after his marked improvement this season. Last year he finished with 8 sacks; This year he already has 7 to go along with 17.5 Tackles For Loss and 1 FF. Moats does not have great size and will probably measure in at around 5-11, but his 4.5-4.6 speed and high motor, much like Elvis Dumervil, make him one of the best players in the FCS and a player to keep your eyes on in the later rounds when looking at developmental pass-rushers.

SS Kyle McCarthy, 6-0 210 4.58, Notre Dame
While not from a lesser known program in the least, McCarthy has quietly been an outstanding performer this year, and with his continued success, I can see him rising very quickly up the boards into early day two. One of the most sure tacklers you might ever see and extremely underrated in coverage, he already has 5 interceptions this year, 1 TFL, and 3 Pass break-ups. McCarthy is one player in particular that I really hope the 49ers have their eyes on and possibly would draft in 2010.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 29, 2009 at 8:13 AM ]
OTC:
How about some offensive linemen - Centers, tackles, and guards. We need a boatload of them.
which rounds do u think these guys are projected at? Thx as usual
[ Edited by kronik on Oct 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
I am definitely aware of Mr.McCarthy (being a ND fan) who could have more picks than that had he not dropped a couple. Also of note a couple of those picks were during crunch time and were real game changers. He has been one of the few bright spots on a shoddy ND defense.

As for Mr.Barnes I also am aware of his talent and potential, I live close to BGSU and saw him live last year vs Buffalo in the triple overtime game. He played a little QB and RB early in his career at BGSU before making the FT move to WR and now is really starting to come into his own at the position.

Another WR to watch from this area is Toledo Rockets Stephen Williams. He'll be a second day pick, he's 6"5 200 lbs and is pretty athletic. Reportedly ran a 4.41 last spring, has been an impressive playmaker and clutch for UT.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
OTC:
How about some offensive linemen - Centers, tackles, and guards. We need a boatload of them.

On guy who I already know the 49ers scouts' likely have shown interest in is OL Chris Marinelli from Stanford. He's playing very well right now and is a very good lineman when healthy, but he did suffer a separated shoulder last year and missed a game. Seems fine this year, but his durability will be something that scouts need to check out. (6th Rounder currently)

Another guy to try and watch is Cincinnati LT Jeff Linkenbach. The guy is a leader along the UC line and has done a terrific job protecting not only Tony Pike, but his back-up as well now that Pike got injured. (7th Rounder currently)

Lastly, far under the radar is RT Drew Davis of Alabama. He has quietly been one of the most solid players along their OL not only this year, but last year as well. Alabama coaches really like the kid. He's a pure RT though, and I don't think he would do well if forced to play LT. (7th Rounder currently)

Players to avoid: LT Ed Wang (Va.Tech) -- Kwame Harris clone, constantly getting penalties this year. OT Adam Ulatoski (Texas) -- Cannot sustain blocks consistently, misses a lot of blocks, doesn't have great balance, and is not great in space.

Originally posted by kronik:
which rounds do u think these guys are projected at? Thx as usual

The top three are 7th round guys right now, but McCarthy -- 6th round at least. He doesn't have amazing speed, but adequate speed for strong safety, and his play speaks for itself. By year's end, I would not be surprised to see him rise all the way into the early 4th round. He's a gritty player who really fits the mold for a tough defense. He's definitely someone I think a team like Baltimore, for instance, would highly covet.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I am definitely aware of Mr.McCarthy (being a ND fan) who could have more picks than that had he not dropped a couple. Also of note a couple of those picks were during crunch time and were real game changers. He has been one of the few bright spots on a shoddy ND defense.

As for Mr.Barnes I also am aware of his talent and potential, I live close to BGSU and saw him live last year vs Buffalo in the triple overtime game. He played a little QB and RB early in his career at BGSU before making the FT move to WR and now is really starting to come into his own at the position.

Another WR to watch from this area is Toledo Rockets Stephen Williams. He'll be a second day pick, he's 6"5 200 lbs and is pretty athletic. Reportedly ran a 4.41 last spring, has been an impressive playmaker and clutch for UT.

Yes, I have certainly had my eyes on him as well. I watched him make the game-winning touchdown catch and run against Ball State a few weeks ago.
How about John Jerry RT from Mississippi? He's Peria Jerry's brother and played OG last seaon. He was named SEC lineman of the week a couple of weeks ago and is currently projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder. He's 6'5, 350 and strong. He broke the Ole Miss lifting record with 34 reps at 225 lbs. NFLDraftScout.com compares him to Leonard Davis.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
How about John Jerry RT from Mississippi? He's Peria Jerry's brother and played OG last seaon. He was named SEC lineman of the week a couple of weeks ago and is currently projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder. He's 6'5, 350 and strong. He broke the Ole Miss lifting record with 34 reps at 225 lbs. NFLDraftScout.com compares him to Leonard Davis.

I didn't include him because I felt he was already widely recognized on this board, even up to last year a few of us has been discussing him coming up to this season. He's a very good prospect that I would love to have in San Francisco, especially if he can continue that success. All in all, I think he still moves back to guard in the NFL. His massive size and strength are fantastic, but I'm just not sure he'll be able to have as much success at right in the NFL than he could as an OG.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I didn't include him because I felt he was already widely recognized on this board, even up to last year a few of us has been discussing him coming up to this season. He's a very good prospect that I would love to have in San Francisco, especially if he can continue that success. All in all, I think he still moves back to guard in the NFL. His massive size and strength are fantastic, but I'm just not sure he'll be able to have as much success at right in the NFL than he could as an OG.

I started following him last year but I hadn't seen him discussed much in the draft room. I'd love to see him here too . . . like you primarily as a guard.

Waddya think of Jason Fox from Miami?

I started following him last year but I hadn't seen him discussed much in the draft room. I'd love to see him here too . . . like you primarily as a guard.

Fox has great athleticism for a big man, and I mean, looking at him all around he's just a good, balanced player. Strong in the run game, strong pass-protector with pretty good feet, and doesn't seem to take costly penalties. I want to continue to watch more of him, because I like to be sure guys like Fox can consistently put together those solid performances.

I think Rodney Hudson from FSU is a guy who is well known in draft circles who should be considered on this board. He is a guy who isn't a mauler. He "gasp" uses technique to get the job done. We have missed way to many times on mauler type gaurds. We need a guy who understands technique.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
I think Rodney Hudson from FSU is a guy who is well known in draft circles who should be considered on this board. He is a guy who isn't a mauler. He "gasp" uses technique to get the job done. We have missed way to many times on mauler type gaurds. We need a guy who understands technique.

Hudson may be the best underclassman guard in the nation, but will he declare? I don't see any indications that he would right now.

I want to jump in and add to OTC's comments. Fox has the highest blocking grade of any lineman in this draft, to my knowledge. NFL Draft Scout listed his grade by the Miami coaches in 2007 at 96 percent, which is absolutely phenomenal, off the charts. He graded out at 97 last year.

Fox also graded out at 99 percent against the nation's number one run defense (Oklahoma) earlier this year, and was the Week 5 ACC Lineman of the Week.

Right now, few scouts are discussing him as a first rounder, but I'd have him right in the mix to be a top 20-25 draftee. Good size and mobility.
If the Niners see TJ Ward on the board in the mid-3rd round, they have to take a serious look. He is a big time talent who loves to play football. He was the best player on the field in the Oregon-Boise State game this year before his injury. He's slowly recovering, and should be huge in the next few weeks as Oregon makes a Rose Bowl run.

This is a kid who could flip to SS, and take over for Lewis in either 2010 or 2011.
OTC, despite what program the kid plays for, with numbers like that wouldn't Freddy Barnes automatically jump into the first round of the draft?? I mean that is ridiculous and unheard of. How many times has any other reciever in college posted season stats like that and not have been selected in the first 2 rounds?
Share 49ersWebzone