LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

WILL and Everson Griffen

It's kind of been the forgotten need on here with everyone focusing on safety, QB, and offensive line.

If Griffen comes out he's my favorite pick for our 2nd first rounder. The guy was compared to Terrell Suggs coming out of high school, and while he struggled early he's becoming a terror this year with 7 sacks and a pick already. 6'3 280 pounds with 4.6 speed. He plays a hybrid position for USC as is and can cover pretty well.

I'm not a fan of USC but I'm really starting to like the idea of Mays and Griffen in the 1st.
Haven't heard much of him. Will have to check him out.
yeah he was an all american coming outta high school.
tjd is correct...as a USC fan, I can tell you the kid is a monster.

The last two years he's had mental issues - not working really hard, and despite his insane athletic talent, he was being outperformed by "lesser" players, to the point where he was replaced in the lineup by Clay Matthews.

He got his head on straight in the offseason, and he's spent most of the year in the backfields of opposing teams.
What about Sergio Kindle? How does Everson Griffen compare to Kindle? I only ask because I know nothing about Griffen and Kindle seems to be the hyped up pass rusher this year.
Griffen is an absolute beast and Kindle is overrated... that being said, I think Everson might be a little too big to play OLB and is probably best suited for a 4-3... IMO - Jerry Hughes is our main - dude already has 8 sacks this year.
Griffen is a guy perfect for New York's hybrid system. A 3-4 though? Depending on the weigh-in, unlikely, unfortunately.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Griffen is an absolute beast and Kindle is overrated... that being said, I think Everson might be a little too big to play OLB and is probably best suited for a 4-3... IMO - Jerry Hughes is our main - dude already has 8 sacks this year.

Amen.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

Agreed. I have posted that in ~3 other threads. I keep waiting for some one to tell me otherwise.
He is no Terrell Suggs.

Griffen has 16 sacks.

Suggs had 24 sacks in one year.

As far as WILL candidates go, five guys topping my list (not yet ordered) I'm looking at right now are:

O'Brien Schofield-Wisconsin -- How can you not have him in this list? It doesn't matter what competition he's gone up against, he's done extremely well and has improved dramatically over a solid 2008 season. He leads the nation with 16.5 TFL along with 6.5 sacks and 2 FF.

Brandon Graham-Michigan -- One of the strongest, if not the strongest of the bunch. You lose leverage for a second, and he'll manhandle you.

Jerry Hughes-TCU -- Reads plays well, great speed off the edge. I do think he needs to learn more moves because despite his speed he doesn't look as "quick" laterally as I'd like to see for a WILL prospect, but he simply produces.

Eric Norwood-South Carolina -- Can't say enough about this guy. He looks the part of a complete player when it comes to being a pass-rusher. Moves, speed, power, motor. He's got it all.

Von Miller-Texas A&M * JR -- The man has had a sack in every game but one, multi-sack performances in half of his games, and at least a sack or a TFL in every single game. The junior currently has 10 sacks, 12.5 TFL, 1 FF and 2 passes batted down.

Honorable Mention: Jeremy Beal-Oklahoma * JR -- Could very well fly into this list by year's end.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As far as WILL candidates go, five guys topping my list (not yet ordered) I'm looking at right now are:

O'Brien Schofield-Wisconsin -- How can you not have him in this list? It doesn't matter what competition he's gone up against, he's done extremely well and has improved dramatically over a solid 2008 season. He leads the nation with 16.5 TFL along with 6.5 sacks and 2 FF.

Brandon Graham-Michigan -- One of the strongest, if not the strongest of the bunch. You lose leverage for a second, and he'll manhandle you.

Jerry Hughes-TCU -- Reads plays well, great speed off the edge. I do think he needs to learn more moves because despite his speed he doesn't look as "quick" laterally as I'd like to see for a WILL prospect, but he simply produces.

Eric Norwood-South Carolina -- Can't say enough about this guy. He looks the part of a complete player when it comes to being a pass-rusher. Moves, speed, power, motor. He's got it all.

Von Miller-Texas A&M * JR -- The man has had a sack in every game but one, multi-sack performances in half of his games, and at least a sack or a TFL in every single game. The junior currently has 10 sacks, 12.5 TFL, 1 FF and 2 passes batted down.

Honorable Mention: Jeremy Beal-Oklahoma * JR -- Could very well fly into this list by year's end.

Thanks for the list, a couple of those names are new to me.
Originally posted by jta854:

No Selvie? What happened to that dude?
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Selvie is falling off the charts. He just doesn't have the strength, power, or endurance to be anything more than possibly a pure 3rd down rush end in the NFL. You tack on a durability issues to Selvie's other flaws and you've got a late day one prospect possibly turning into a day two guy. Paul-Pierre is stealing the show, and for good reason. He has the things Selvie does not. If George can't produce, his stock is going to fall even further.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Selvie is falling off the charts. He just doesn't have the strength, power, or endurance to be anything more than possibly a pure 3rd down rush end in the NFL. You tack on a durability issues to Selvie's other flaws and you've got a late day one prospect possibly turning into a day two guy. Paul-Pierre is stealing the show, and for good reason. He has the things Selvie does not. If George can't produce, his stock is going to fall even further.

I have a feeling he is gonna be a guy like Dumervil who is forgotten come draft day but has shown he has what it takes on the field.
Share 49ersWebzone