There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Matt Barkley 2012

Originally posted by Jcool:
I don't think a QB from a top team like USC should ever be a #1 over all pick... that includes Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, ect. There are reasons those schools are always in the top 5 and its not because they have these future hall of fame QBs that come in and beat teams on there own. Its because they play for great teams with 5 star recruits at ever position. So when they put up these great stats throwing to 3 players who where each the top player in their state and a running back that was top 3 in the nation behind an O-Line that could stop some NFL D-lines... yeah the QB is going to look like the greatest player ever. But they never can adjust to playing in the NFL on a bad team with no one to catch the ball behind an O-Line that gives them 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. Give me a QB with good tools, putting up great numbers, playing for a top 10-15 team (such as Matt Ryan) with average players any day over a QB from a top program.

Eh....goes both ways. The reason they're QB for an elite program is because they're an elite prospect themselves. For every Matt Ryan there is a Carson Palmer, a Peyton Manning, etc.

I get what you're saying - there ARE a number of QBs at top-level programs that are busts (Jason White, Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, etc) but there are plenty of busts from lesser programs as well (Alex Smith). Bottom line is, if a kid can play, he can play, regardless of the talent around him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nipplehead:
I don't think a QB from a top team like USC should ever be a #1 over all pick... that includes Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, ect. There are reasons those schools are always in the top 5 and its not because they have these future hall of fame QBs that come in and beat teams on there own. Its because they play for great teams with 5 star recruits at ever position. So when they put up these great stats throwing to 3 players who where each the top player in their state and a running back that was top 3 in the nation behind an O-Line that could stop some NFL D-lines... yeah the QB is going to look like the greatest player ever. But they never can adjust to playing in the NFL on a bad team with no one to catch the ball behind an O-Line that gives them 2 seconds to get rid of the ball. Give me a QB with good tools, putting up great numbers, playing for a top 10-15 team (such as Matt Ryan) with average players any day over a QB from a top program.

Eh....goes both ways. The reason they're QB for an elite program is because they're an elite prospect themselves. For every Matt Ryan there is a Carson Palmer, a Peyton Manning, etc.

I get what you're saying - there ARE a number of QBs at top-level programs that are busts (Jason White, Ken Dorsey, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, etc) but there are plenty of busts from lesser programs as well (Alex Smith). Bottom line is, if a kid can play, he can play, regardless of the talent around him.

well i wouldn't say Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning ever played for great college teams, so they would be more in line with the QB making the team rather then the team making the QB. With Alex Smith people fell in love with that Utah team that kind of came out of no where and he lead his team to a BCS bowl victory and forgot to look at the offense he was playing in. The same people who loved Alex Smith are the ones Knocking Tim Tebow. If Urban Meyer doesn't coach at Utah Alex Smith is a 2-3 round pick.

well i wouldn't say Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning ever played for great college teams, so they would be more in line with the QB making the team rather then the team making the QB. With Alex Smith people fell in love with that Utah team that kind of came out of no where and he lead his team to a BCS bowl victory and forgot to look at the offense he was playing in. The same people who loved Alex Smith are the ones Knocking Tim Tebow. If Urban Meyer doesn't coach at Utah Alex Smith is a 2-3 round pick.

Are you sure about that? Last time I checked Tennessee won the national title after Peyton left, and USC won the AP title after Palmer left (stupid BCS).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Are you sure about that? Last time I checked Tennessee won the national title after Peyton left, and USC won the AP title after Palmer left (stupid BCS).

key thing there is after they left
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by crzy:
He's surrounded by tons and tons of talent. He throws a 2 yard pass and guys take it 30 - 40 yards for a TD like today. That's what he's playing with. I don't know let it play out a few more years. He's very young. He seems pretty accurate and has good poise but I don't know about all this #1 pick in 2012 and Heisman in the future stuff. Let it play out a little. He's only played a few games on the college level.

Plus as always there is the ever present Left Coast bias on the WZ. "Anybody who plays at USC or CAL is a future super star and should be the #1 pick and should win the Heisman."

Well we have to balance out the ESPN/sports media SEC and East Coast dick-sucking that goes on everywhere else in the nation.

RAH, RAH USC and CAL. The best teams on the planet. Let's draft all our players from those universities and ignore the rest of the country.

so you agree with balmer(unc) over d.jackson?

Yeah that Chilo from USC is a real super star. We need more guys like him so we can set the single season sack record.
if we don't have a QB by 2012 im going to be a white haired mid 20 yr old. that will be REALLY sad.

Yeah one season after. I'm sure the roster completely flipped those years too.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Yeah one season after. I'm sure the roster completely flipped those years too.

thats college football for ya
Thought I'd bring this back up.

If we don't land a QB this year or Luck next year, this guy looks the part.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Thought I'd bring this back up.

If we don't land a QB this year or Luck next year, this guy looks the part.

Luck and Barkley could be 1-2 next year.
He's surrounded by tons and tons of talent. He throws a 2 yard pass and guys take it 30 - 40 yards for a TD like today. That's what he's playing with. I don't know let it play out a few more years. He's very young. He seems pretty accurate and has good poise but I don't know about all this #1 pick in 2012 and Heisman in the future stuff. Let it play out a little. He's only played a few games on the college level.

Plus as always there is the ever present Left Coast bias on the WZ. "Anybody who plays at USC or CAL is a future super star and should be the #1 pick and should win the Heisman."

Well we have to balance out the ESPN/sports media SEC and East Coast dick-sucking that goes on everywhere else in the nation.

Well-put.

To me the media has the right to be biased more of the SEC. It is clearly the best conference in football. Since 1998 they have had 7 National Champs in that span (been in and won every one since 2006) with the Big 12 holding tuff with 2 Championships is the conference to them. I am a Tide fan and been one since I was 7 years old (1993 when they beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl) and I am not biased in any way. If you want your team to have some competition come play a team from the SEC. Being from NC I despise ACC football. I think that should change it to ASS because that is what it is.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Well-put.

To me the media has the right to be biased more of the SEC. It is clearly the best conference in football. Since 1998 they have had 7 National Champs in that span (been in and won every one since 2006) with the Big 12 holding tuff with 2 Championships is the conference to them. I am a Tide fan and been one since I was 7 years old (1993 when they beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl) and I am not biased in any way. If you want your team to have some competition come play a team from the SEC. Being from NC I despise ACC football. I think that should change it to ASS because that is what it is.

- not only is the SEC the best conference, but College Football is more popular in the South than the NFL -- at least in the Deep South. They're catering to their fan base...NCAAF fans are disproportionally in the south.

- Most baseball fans are also in the Northeast, so I understand the coverage...
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Well-put.

- not only is the SEC the best conference, but College Football is more popular in the South than the NFL -- at least in the Deep South. They're catering to their fan base...NCAAF fans are disproportionally in the south.

I got family in Arkansas and the way they treat college football is on a whole other level. I mean 9 out of 10 ppl were wearing go hogs shirts. the stewardess on the plane leaving little rock was grilling a guy b/c he had on a Alabama hat.

Well-put.

Nick you're back! Right in time for the draft. Welcome back!
Originally posted by lamontb:

Well-put.

I got family in Arkansas and the way they treat college football is on a whole other level. I mean 9 out of 10 ppl were wearing go hogs shirts. the stewardess on the plane leaving little rock was grilling a guy b/c he had on a Alabama hat.

haha thats preety funny