There are 124 users in the forums

Top 10 Draft Projection- October 16, 2009

Originally posted by genus49:
If they draft Mays at that pick I'm going to be sick.

I would rather have any of Trent Williams, Greg Hardy, Joe Haden or Jimmy Clausen before we took Mays.

i will be 1 pissed off fan that day if we pick mays
Out of the teams listed above, I see the possibility that Oakland, KC, Titans, and buffalo finishing better than Carolina. That would move us up 4 spots. I don't see us staying at the choice either way up or down. It would be best to move higher and select a higher quality player. Teams no longer follow Johnson's trade value chart in the upper half of the draft. I bet a third and 5th pick combo could move us from 9 to 5 and we could land an instant starter.
With two #1's, the age old question is coming, do they take the bpa or draft for need?

The Niners aren't exactly brimming with talent still and aside from Gore, Smith and Willis, could almost take an upgrade at every position.
Carolina's win pushed them to the 11th-13th draft slot with a 2-3 record.

The bad news: They play Buffalo at home this week. Buffalo will probably have a let down after an emotional win against the NYJ.

The good news: The following five weeks present a real headache:
@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
Home against the Dolphins
@NYJ

The bad news again: They play Tampa at home.

The good news again: The final four games are a nightmare for them-
@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Projected out, I'll say they go to 3-3 after the Buffalo game, lose 4 of 5 to go to 4-7, win against Tampa to go 5-7, and then lose out to finish 5-11.

A 5-11 record usually gets a team a top 7 pick. And, with 6 teams who are absolutely abominable in the league: Tennessee, Tampa, St. Louis, KC, Cleveland, and Detroit, the Panthers are looking at that 7th-10th overall pick, in my opinion.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

The bad news: They play Buffalo at home this week. Buffalo will probably have a let down after an emotional win against the NYJ.

@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
@NYJ

@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Projected out, I'll say they go to 3-3 after the Buffalo game, lose 4 of 5 to go to 4-7, win against Tampa to go 5-7, and then lose out to finish 5-11.

A 5-11 record usually gets a team a top 7 pick. And, with 6 teams who are absolutely abominable in the league: Tennessee, Tampa, St. Louis, KC, Cleveland, and Detroit, the Panthers are looking at that 7th-10th overall pick, in my opinion.

Nice analysis.

I'd be perfectly fine with a 7-10 pick. That's where the best players are anyways, 1-5 is for the overrated QBs and workout warriors.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Had a chance to re-watch USC LT Charles Brown against the Irish. Just a stunning performance.

Although he wasn't matched up against anyone of significance, I think scouts are going to love his mobility and footwork, use of hands, and knee-bending.

He's listed at 292 right now, but I don't think 15 pounds will be an issue to add to his frame this offseason.

After watching Mays against ND the kid didn't impress. The single most fundamental skill of a defender is proper tackling, the kid doesn't understand how to do that. I know he has all the physical traits but he goes for the home run every play and would be a serious danger at SS. If Berry isn't available when we pick I would have no problem bypassing S and waiting till a later round.

agreed about Mays.

and theres quite a few Safeties out there for 2010.

Just to name a few, Earl Thomas(Texas), Major Wright(UF), Nate Allen(USF), Kam Chancellor(VT), Deunta Williams(UNC), Morgan Burnett(GT), and the list goes on.

I just don't think you take a S that high either way. Berry, maybe, but then, once again, we would be ignoring our most glaring needs. Polumalu and Ed Reed weren't even taken in the top 15, those are the only 2 worth maybe a top 10 pick, I don't think we're in the position for that risk. mays I do not put in this catagory. He's just not a playmaker. Besides, you can guarantee the Raiders take him after he runs a 40.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
@NYJ

@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Nice analysis.

I'd be perfectly fine with a 7-10 pick. That's where the best players are anyways, 1-5 is for the overrated QBs and workout warriors.

Those last 4 teams may be front runners in their division and they may not need the wins that badly, especially the last game.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
@NYJ

@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Nice analysis.

Those last 4 teams may be front runners in their division and they may not need the wins that badly, especially the last game.

I would imagine that they might be fighting for home field advantage in the playoffs.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Had a chance to re-watch USC LT Charles Brown against the Irish. Just a stunning performance.

Although he wasn't matched up against anyone of significance, I think scouts are going to love his mobility and footwork, use of hands, and knee-bending.

He's listed at 292 right now, but I don't think 15 pounds will be an issue to add to his frame this offseason.

After watching Mays against ND the kid didn't impress. The single most fundamental skill of a defender is proper tackling, the kid doesn't understand how to do that. I know he has all the physical traits but he goes for the home run every play and would be a serious danger at SS. If Berry isn't available when we pick I would have no problem bypassing S and waiting till a later round.

agreed about Mays.

and theres quite a few Safeties out there for 2010.

Just to name a few, Earl Thomas(Texas), Major Wright(UF), Nate Allen(USF), Kam Chancellor(VT), Deunta Williams(UNC), Morgan Burnett(GT), and the list goes on.

I just don't think you take a S that high either way. Berry, maybe, but then, once again, we would be ignoring our most glaring needs. Polumalu and Ed Reed weren't even taken in the top 15, those are the only 2 worth maybe a top 10 pick, I don't think we're in the position for that risk. mays I do not put in this catagory. He's just not a playmaker. Besides, you can guarantee the Raiders take him after he runs a 40.

Actually you hit the nail right on the head, this could come down to what Oakland does again. If Davis goes for Mays, we may get another present this year for the good ol silver and black. Berry is a top 10 pick, Mays should be a 12-25 pick. Your statement about ignoring the glaring needs is correct but this may be the end of the road for Lewis, and Berry is a diamond. If both OT's are gone we cant reach where we will be at, and whose to say drafting one is worth it at that spot.

ROT
OG
SS---maybe
OLB
NT---maybe
QB---maybe
WR---could be

With that list you don't take a OG that early, OT may not be available, too early for this year's NT's, so were left with SS...if Berry is gone then no, OLB...could be, QB...could be, and I will say it again if all positions are gone Dez Bryant could be the guy. Of course we could trade back but that option may not be available.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
@NYJ

@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Nice analysis.

Highly unlikely in that the Saints and Atlanta will be deadlocked for the division. Then Minnesota hasn't lost so homefield advantage will be on the line probably.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm iffy on Mays, but I could see the 49ers doing it. And that's what mocks are about -- would they do it -- so, *shrug* Sure.

Cosigned. I'm not a big Mays fan though. He's not enough of a ballhawk for me. I like Berry way better but he'll probably be gone. I wouldn't mind an OT with this pick though, or a QB. The oline blows and Hill isn't the answer, we still don't know about Smith. Or heck even a guy like Kindle or another 3-4 OLB. I guess I'm saying is that we have a lot of average-decent players, but we can upgrade in a lot of those positions.

I am not impressed with Kindle at all. He's overrated IMO.
does anyone disagree that Tennessee will be the 1st overall pick? I see them winning at least 3 or 4 games. Top-10, but not 1st overall. 1st overall has to be the Rams.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
does anyone disagree that Tennessee will be the 1st overall pick? I see them winning at least 3 or 4 games. Top-10, but not 1st overall. 1st overall has to be the Rams.

ya i see the same thing and im willing to bet they might even get mount cody who is a lot like albert haynsworth the only player they lost this year
After Week 5 of the NFL season, we are now 1/3 of the way through the season, and worth a preliminary peak at what might happen on draft day. I have projected the top 10 picks (with the four winless teams in the correct draft order). I'm not sure on the correct order of the one win teams, but at this point, I'll simply project how I think they will fall.

Just to note: The draft typically will have at least one LT drafted in the first handful of picks, and the same goes for the QB position. This year may drift from this trend, but I'll project some guys at these positions.

1. Tennessee- Jake Locker
2. St. Louis- Sam Bradford
3. Tampa Bay- Ndamukong Suh
4. Kansas City- Eric Berry
5. Oakland- Russell Okung
6. Detroit- Gerald McCoy
7. Cleveland- Carlos Dunlap
8. Buffalo- Dez Bryant
9. Niners (through Carolina)- Taylor Mays
10. Washington- Charles Brown

This is an early projection with the majority of selections eligible juniors who may or may not come out.

Cheers.

P.S. This is a big week for the NFC South Division, as the winless Bucs play at home against the one-win Panthers. Niners' fans should be plugged into that game to see if the Bucs can help the Niners' on the road to a higher draft choice. Of course, the Bucs are in full rebuild mold, especially after trading Gaines Adams to the Bears for a second rounder today, so I wouldn't expect a terrific performance.

I doubt that McCloughan goes after mays that high... He just doesnt get enough production to warrant being a Top 10 pick - and Im probably the biggest USC fanatic on this board.

@Arizona
@NO
Home against the Falcons
@NYJ

@NE
Home against Minnesota
@NYG
Home against New Orleans

Probably true. We aren't going to get ahead of those 6 teams. That is for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone