LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Top 10 Draft Projection- October 16, 2009

After Week 5 of the NFL season, we are now 1/3 of the way through the season, and worth a preliminary peak at what might happen on draft day. I have projected the top 10 picks (with the four winless teams in the correct draft order). I'm not sure on the correct order of the one win teams, but at this point, I'll simply project how I think they will fall.

Just to note: The draft typically will have at least one LT drafted in the first handful of picks, and the same goes for the QB position. This year may drift from this trend, but I'll project some guys at these positions.

1. Tennessee- Jake Locker
2. St. Louis- Sam Bradford
3. Tampa Bay- Ndamukong Suh
4. Kansas City- Eric Berry
5. Oakland- Russell Okung
6. Detroit- Gerald McCoy
7. Cleveland- Carlos Dunlap
8. Buffalo- Dez Bryant
9. Niners (through Carolina)- Taylor Mays
10. Washington- Charles Brown

This is an early projection with the majority of selections eligible juniors who may or may not come out.

Cheers.

P.S. This is a big week for the NFC South Division, as the winless Bucs play at home against the one-win Panthers. Niners' fans should be plugged into that game to see if the Bucs can help the Niners' on the road to a higher draft choice. Of course, the Bucs are in full rebuild mold, especially after trading Gaines Adams to the Bears for a second rounder today, so I wouldn't expect a terrific performance.
Nice post. I wouldn't argue with that at all.
Thanks MD! Always love the draft updates.
Am I the only one that thinks Taylor Mays is overrated? Hes a first round talent I just cant see 2 safties going in the top 10 in the same year
[ Edited by RichmondPete on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by RichmondPete:
Am I the only one that thinks Taylor Mays is overrated? Hes a first round talent I just cant see 2 safties going in the top 10 in the same year

i think he's an incredible athlete, but im nervous that he'll be the next roy williams. great run stopping/hard hitting safety that's horrible on pass coverage
9. Niners (through Carolina)- Taylor Mays
I like this pick..
Micheal Lewis has 3 concussions this year
Nobody seems to like Roman
No depth behide the starters
I'm iffy on Mays, but I could see the 49ers doing it. And that's what mocks are about -- would they do it -- so, *shrug* Sure.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm iffy on Mays, but I could see the 49ers doing it. And that's what mocks are about -- would they do it -- so, *shrug* Sure.

Cosigned. I'm not a big Mays fan though. He's not enough of a ballhawk for me. I like Berry way better but he'll probably be gone. I wouldn't mind an OT with this pick though, or a QB. The oline blows and Hill isn't the answer, we still don't know about Smith. Or heck even a guy like Kindle or another 3-4 OLB. I guess I'm saying is that we have a lot of average-decent players, but we can upgrade in a lot of those positions.

It's not impossible though, in this situation if we are on the clock and want him, and we don't think that he will be there at our other 1st round selection then I don't think it would be much of a reach to take him.

I think so as well, if we got a safety i hope and pray Berry is still available.

Bradford is injured again today, and this might kill his chance to be a top 10 pick. In fact, he might simply pull back and return for his senior year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Bradford is injured again today, and this might kill his chance to be a top 10 pick. In fact, he might simply pull back and return for his senior year.

he would be smart to return for his senior season IMO.
Originally posted by kstolai:

I think so as well, if we got a safety i hope and pray Berry is still available.

I Figure out, I believe that Berry will be Bust and lower INTS in NFL Tough than college.. I think, Mays is better than berry..
I'd be very disappointed if that happened.

I don't want Roy Williams 2.0
I have a hard time believing the Rams would take Bradford when they can't even keep Bulger healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone