LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

GEEK's First Rough Mock

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Another year of Hill/Smith/Davis? If that's how the QB depth chart stacks up next season, then this team's toast already.

You have yet to see Davis play. Give him a shot before going off and drafting a QB in the 1st round in a year where all the QBs hold a question mark.

No we don't. That's like Baltimore passing on Flacco because they drafted Troy Smith a year earlier, and even if we draft a 1st rounder Nate Davis could get still get an oppurtunity.

Unless you have a franchise QB you don't rule out taking one. We have to scout these guys and if one grades high enough we have to take them.

We are not in position to draft a QB just to draft a QB. What a waste it would be to draft a QB in the 1st round, pay him all that money, only to have Nate Davis outperform him.

The Flacco/Troy Smith argument doesn't really work because I'm sure no one in Baltimore predicted Troy Smith to be their franchise signal caller.

Nate Davis was projected to go as high as the 2nd round but news of a learning disability as well as his mediocre performances the last two games of his college career dropped his stock. Just like all the other QBs in this upcoming draft, Nate Davis has all the tools you're looking for in a QB.

It's the exact same situation. Troy Smith was projected to be a 1st rounder slipped after the national game and height issues, and was actually going to start the season before an injury gave Flacco the job.

Not a waste at all either. Quarterbacks don't lose trade value until they're a proven bust. If Davis wins the job and becomes the franchise guy the 1st rounder can easily be traded for pretty much the same value that we took him at. Or if the 1st rounder wins and Davis still looks pretty good Davis could be traded for a 2nd rounder ala Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub.

I don't know what you're talking about because I don't remember Troy Smith ever being considered as a 1st round prospect. Yes he was supposed to start the season, but that was only because they didn't want to throw their 1st round rookie QB to the wolves.

Another thing about trading QBs, it is not that easy to trade QBs especially if you think we can get the same value. GMs are always going to think "he was beaten out in training camp" and such. Say Davis does do well but we decide to trade him, you really think we can get a 2nd rounder for a guy who probably hasn't played a regular season snap?
Another year of Hill/Smith/Davis? If that's how the QB depth chart stacks up next season, then this team's toast already.

You have yet to see Davis play. Give him a shot before going off and drafting a QB in the 1st round in a year where all the QBs hold a question mark.

No we don't. That's like Baltimore passing on Flacco because they drafted Troy Smith a year earlier, and even if we draft a 1st rounder Nate Davis could get still get an oppurtunity.

Unless you have a franchise QB you don't rule out taking one. We have to scout these guys and if one grades high enough we have to take them.

We are not in position to draft a QB just to draft a QB. What a waste it would be to draft a QB in the 1st round, pay him all that money, only to have Nate Davis outperform him.

The Flacco/Troy Smith argument doesn't really work because I'm sure no one in Baltimore predicted Troy Smith to be their franchise signal caller.

Nate Davis was projected to go as high as the 2nd round but news of a learning disability as well as his mediocre performances the last two games of his college career dropped his stock. Just like all the other QBs in this upcoming draft, Nate Davis has all the tools you're looking for in a QB.

It's the exact same situation. Troy Smith was projected to be a 1st rounder slipped after the national game and height issues, and was actually going to start the season before an injury gave Flacco the job.

Not a waste at all either. Quarterbacks don't lose trade value until they're a proven bust. If Davis wins the job and becomes the franchise guy the 1st rounder can easily be traded for pretty much the same value that we took him at. Or if the 1st rounder wins and Davis still looks pretty good Davis could be traded for a 2nd rounder ala Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub.

I don't know what you're talking about because I don't remember Troy Smith ever being considered as a 1st round prospect. Yes he was supposed to start the season, but that was only because they didn't want to throw their 1st round rookie QB to the wolves.

Another thing about trading QBs, it is not that easy to trade QBs especially if you think we can get the same value. GMs are always going to think "he was beaten out in training camp" and such. Say Davis does do well but we decide to trade him, you really think we can get a 2nd rounder for a guy who probably hasn't played a regular season snap?

Go back to mocks before the national title and guarantee you will see Troy Smith as a 1st/2nd rounder.

Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Rivers could easily been traded for a 1st rounder. GM's won't hold against the rookie just because the current starter developed before the rookie ever had a chance to.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM ]

Go back to mocks before the national title and guarantee you will see Troy Smith as a 1st/2nd rounder.

Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees. Rivers could easily been traded for a 1st rounder. GM's won't hold against the rookie just because the current starter developed before the rookie ever had a chance to.

Hard to find a lot of the 2007 mocks, but a couple that I saw had him in the 4th-5th round grade.

Hard to find a lot of the 2007 mocks, but a couple that I saw had him in the 4th-5th round grade.

After the national title game Mike Mayock said he believed Troy Smith was still a 2nd rounder. Mayock is amongst the best in the business at this.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being a 1st rounder, but his stock dropped significantly between January and the draft.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM ]

After the national title game Mike Mayock said he believed Troy Smith was still a 2nd rounder.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being a 1st rounder, but his stock dropped significantly between January and the draft.

I guess i gotta give it to you there. Troy Smith, 2nd round prospect

After the national title game Mike Mayock said he believed Troy Smith was still a 2nd rounder.

That year Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, and even John David Bootie were at one point talked up as 1st-2nd rounders. Up until the Senior Bowl/combine draft talk is alot speculation and non sense. That's why I don't care that at one point someone thought Nate Davis could be a 2nd rounder.

That year Colt Brennan, Andre Woodson, and even John David Bootie were at one point talked up as 1st-2nd rounders. Up until the Senior Bowl/combine draft talk is alot speculation and non sense. That's why I don't care that at one point someone thought Nate Davis could be a 2nd rounder.

Yea you're right. The only difference between the guys you named and Nate is that Nate performed well at the combine.

Yea you're right. The only difference between the guys you named and Nate is that Nate performed well at the combine.

Not well enough to keep his stock.

I'm pretty sure it was his "learning disability" that kept teams away. His college record was outstanding as well as his numbers.
We can't pass on a top QB prospect based simply on Nate's play in a few preseason games. That's ridiculous. He's a third string QB that went in the 5th because of his learning disability and because he fell apart in a few key games in college. Thomas Clayton looked great in preseason, too.

Having said that, we aren't a team that can afford to reach for a QB either. Our OL is a mess and we lack true playmakers at both pass rusher and safety. We have to take the best player at any of those positions with our first round picks. So the cliche about the draft dictating which need gets addressed will hold true next year. We can't afford to pass on a talented player that addresses any of our needs.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Don't worry, I won't regain my mock fetish like last year. This is a plan in which I think would fill the 49ers needs the fastest without overpaying in free agency.

Main Resignings -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 3 year
Dre Bly - CB - 2 year

Main Free Agent Signings -

Leon Washington - RB - NY Jets
*Raye's familiarity with him, as well as an offense that "attacks" through the ground first, Washington is certainly a worth of spot to split carries with Gore. Washington is a great PR/KR guy, too.

Stephen Neal - OG - Patriots
*Neal is a seasoned veteran that would be an upgrade at OG, letting Baas walk. Neal is a Cali native as well.

Shawne Merriman - LB - Chargers
*He should be had for a reasonable rate on the free agency market. I doubt the Chargers find a viable trading partner, and I don't think they are in a position to slap the franchise tag on him. Manusky connection here.

Khalif Barnes - OT - Raiders
*Barnes gained fairly large interest last year for teams that were looking for LTs. Now recovered from an injury in pre-season, Barnes may see some starts this season. He'll likely leave Oakland in the off-season, and he'll be a relatively cheap depth signing.

NFL Draft -

R1: Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma

R1: Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho *Credit OTC and Mad Dog for this pick*

R2: Jacoby Ford - WR/RB/KR - Clemson

R3: Myron Rolle - S - Florida State

R4: O'Brien Schofield - LB/DE - Wisconsin

Depth Chart -

QB: Hill/Smith/Davis
RB: Gore/Washington*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker

WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Jones/Ford*
WR: Morgan

LT: Staley/Barnes*
LG: Iupati*
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Neal*/Rachal
RT: Williams*/Snyder

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/RJF
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Merriman*/Lawson
ILB: Willis/Schofield*
ILB: Spikes/McKillop
OLB: Haralson/Brooks

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Bly
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Rolle*/Taylor

K: Nedney
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

The only free agent signing I agree with is Neal because our guards are either too inexperienced (Rachal) or just horrible (Baas). Washington will be resigned by the Jets and Merriman is done like dinner. Barnes doesn't even sniff the field for the Raiders so what does that say.

Like the draft, especially the Rolle and Schofield picks. Great value in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I'm pretty sure it was his "learning disability" that kept teams away. His college record was outstanding as well as his numbers.

It was more of him not looking impressive in his senior year. His stock dropped throughout the college season. It didn't just plummet b/c of his learning disability. If they think you can play they will work around that.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Don't worry, I won't regain my mock fetish like last year. This is a plan in which I think would fill the 49ers needs the fastest without overpaying in free agency.

Main Resignings -

Aubrayo Franklin - NT - 3 year
Dre Bly - CB - 2 year

Main Free Agent Signings -

Leon Washington - RB - NY Jets
*Raye's familiarity with him, as well as an offense that "attacks" through the ground first, Washington is certainly a worth of spot to split carries with Gore. Washington is a great PR/KR guy, too.

Stephen Neal - OG - Patriots
*Neal is a seasoned veteran that would be an upgrade at OG, letting Baas walk. Neal is a Cali native as well.

Shawne Merriman - LB - Chargers
*He should be had for a reasonable rate on the free agency market. I doubt the Chargers find a viable trading partner, and I don't think they are in a position to slap the franchise tag on him. Manusky connection here.

Khalif Barnes - OT - Raiders
*Barnes gained fairly large interest last year for teams that were looking for LTs. Now recovered from an injury in pre-season, Barnes may see some starts this season. He'll likely leave Oakland in the off-season, and he'll be a relatively cheap depth signing.

NFL Draft -

R1: Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma

R1: Mike Iupati - OG - Idaho *Credit OTC and Mad Dog for this pick*

R2: Jacoby Ford - WR/RB/KR - Clemson

R3: Myron Rolle - S - Florida State

R4: O'Brien Schofield - LB/DE - Wisconsin

Depth Chart -

QB: Hill/Smith/Davis
RB: Gore/Washington*/Coffee
FB: Norris/Robinson
TE: Davis/Walker

WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Jones/Ford*
WR: Morgan

LT: Staley/Barnes*
LG: Iupati*
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Neal*/Rachal
RT: Williams*/Snyder

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/RJF
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Merriman*/Lawson
ILB: Willis/Schofield*
ILB: Spikes/McKillop
OLB: Haralson/Brooks

CB: Clements/Brown
CB: Spencer/Bly
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Rolle*/Taylor

K: Nedney
P: Lee
LS: Jennings

The only free agent signing I agree with is Neal because our guards are either too inexperienced (Rachal) or just horrible (Baas). Washington will be resigned by the Jets and Merriman is done like dinner. Barnes doesn't even sniff the field for the Raiders so what does that say.

Like the draft, especially the Rolle and Schofield picks. Great value in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

The Jets drafted Shonn Greene in the 3rd round this past draft. While I am sure they would love to keep him, I think they'll give Greene a shot with Thomas Jones.

The Barnes signing would a depth signing, since Sims will be a free agent in the off-season. Barnes has experience playing LT and RT as well.

Thanks for the draft comments. Schofield may be a 2nd round pick if he has continued success.

I think Rolle remains in the 3rd round because I don't think would like to take a flier on a guy who may bail for another profession after a couple of years.
Originally posted by lamontb:

It was more of him not looking impressive in his senior year. His stock dropped throughout the college season. It didn't just plummet b/c of his learning disability. If they think you can play they will work around that.

How did he have a bad year? Ball St. was 12-2 last year and Davis had a QB rating of 156.7. He only had 8 picks and threw 26 TDs. He passed for almost 3600 yards.
All the QB prospects suck and I don't want any of them in the first round. I want Kyle Orton.
Share 49ersWebzone