There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jake Locker

i was never impressed by him.

i was hoping he would enter the draft, get drafted by the rams, and become a bust.
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Originally posted by epdavis:
Do not know if this has already been mentioned but I read somewhere that he may not be 100% committed to football cause he is a big time Baseball prospect also matter of fact a team already drafted him just to hold his rights.

This is where I read it

Ya the Angels drafted him ... Im not sure if he even wants to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
he f**kin sucks i dunno why people are on his nuts he aint that good!!

it's a because he's a good athlete.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
i was never impressed by him.

i was hoping he would enter the draft, get drafted by the rams, and become a bust.

Glad the Rams won't have the chance to draft him. Locker has all the tools to be a great NFL QB, and I'd hate to have our Niners face him twice a year for the next 10-15 years.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You would think he might have learned from Sam Bradford. WOW. Very surprising given that he was going to be a top 10 pick. Jimmy Clausen made the smarter decision.

Not surprising at all - This was his and Sarkisian's plan the whole time... He definately has all of the physical tools, but in terms of accuracy and the mental side of the position - he just isnt ready yet... This is the right decision for him.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You would think he might have learned from Sam Bradford. WOW. Very surprising given that he was going to be a top 10 pick. Jimmy Clausen made the smarter decision.

Not surprising at all - This was his and Sarkisian's plan the whole time... He definately has all of the physical tools, but in terms of accuracy and the mental side of the position - he just isnt ready yet... This is the right decision for him.

It isnt the right decision if he would have been the top pick in the draft. Sam Bradford lost millions by his decision and Locker might as well. If I was Locker I would not take the chance but would instead come out. I would hate to be the next Bradford or Leinart.
Originally posted by dman:
Originally posted by epdavis:
Do not know if this has already been mentioned but I read somewhere that he may not be 100% committed to football cause he is a big time Baseball prospect also matter of fact a team already drafted him just to hold his rights.

This is where I read it

Ya the Angels drafted him ... Im not sure if he even wants to play in the NFL.

Lots of folks said Crabtree could have been a pro basketball player also, IIRC.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You would think he might have learned from Sam Bradford. WOW. Very surprising given that he was going to be a top 10 pick. Jimmy Clausen made the smarter decision.

Not surprising at all - This was his and Sarkisian's plan the whole time... He definately has all of the physical tools, but in terms of accuracy and the mental side of the position - he just isnt ready yet... This is the right decision for him.

It isnt the right decision if he would have been the top pick in the draft. Sam Bradford lost millions by his decision and Locker might as well. If I was Locker I would not take the chance but would instead come out. I would hate to be the next Bradford or Leinart.

Exactly. So what if he's not perfectly ready to lead an NFL team. As the likely 1st pick in the draft, you guarantee financial security for you and your family...to risk that because you feel you need/want "1 more year of college football experience" is crazy.
As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.


lol OUCH, McShay got ripped. To be fair though I think he's better than Kiper.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,738
Originally posted by ads_2006:
As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.

Quote:
And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/
  • ptinerocket
  • Info N/A
are you serious?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.

Quote:
And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Very informative, thanks

-9fA
I don't think McShea was the only one beating the drum for locker. Seems I was reading alot about who would go first Locker with his upside or Clausen who was prepped to step in immediately.

Guess you can't believe everything you read!