LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Ryan Mallett: University of Arkansas QB.

6'7" 238 lbs. and a rocket arm.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1514812&Q_SEASON=2009

He is a redshirt Sophmore which means he probably won't be turning pro real soon. There is something about this guy though. Every time I see Arkansas he seems impressive. He plays well in the pocket, has huge stature and a very strong arm. He makes accurate deep and intermediate throws and he will do the short dump off throws also.

He is definitely somebody to keep a close eye on for the future. He is so much better than expected and Arkansas seems better than expected too. I think he is a pretty impressive guy for the future.

What does everybody else think?

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 10, 2009 at 16:57:57 ]
i think hes impressive too. wont surprise me if hes a top 5 pick if he continues to grow as a qb.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
i think hes impressive too. wont surprise me if hes a top 5 pick if he continues to grow as a qb.

He looks really, really good. I don't see how his arm strength or size is any less than Flacco. He looks like a pure pocket guy unlike Alex who we picked and is a roll out guy. I think the pocket passers are better for the pros. That translates better to the pros.

I also think he could be a real high pick if he continues to grow as a QB. I don't know that he was expected to be this good at this time of his career. He may be somewhat of a surprise at this point but a pleasent surprise for college football.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Richard Cirminiello of CollegeFootballNews.com writes that after originally being slated to be the next big thing as a pro-style quarterback at Michigan, Ryan Mallett bolted Ann Arbor when Rich Rodriguez came on board and changed the offensive philosophy. Instead, he’ll become the next pupil of Bobby Petrino to make NFL scouts sit up and take attention.

The Skinny: The 6’6” 238-pound Mallett is a pocket passer with the howitzer arm to make any kind of throw. Similar to Ben Roethlisberger, Mallett is so big that he easily shakes off defenders trying to bring him down. Even so, he has a great feel for the rush and a quick release that make him difficult to get to. He may not be very nimble when he’s forced outside the pocket, but he’s not afraid to stand in there a few extra seconds to deliver his throw. Say what you will about carpetbagger Bobby Petrino, but the man knows how to develop quarterbacks, and in Mallett---who throws a 115 mile-per-hour fastball---he has a lot to work with.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/cfi/Mallett_Ready_For_Stardom.html
Yeah he has a lot of potential, I'm a big fan of his. I wouldn't mind if we drafted him as our QB of the future. I've watched 2 of his games now and I've been impressed by him both times. He's got a cannon arm and he's a pocket guy like you said, he just looks like a guy that has "it".
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah he has a lot of potential, I'm a big fan of his. I wouldn't mind if we drafted him as our QB of the future. I've watched 2 of his games now and I've been impressed by him both times. He's got a cannon arm and he's a pocket guy like you said, he just looks like a guy that has "it".

He definitely has it. I would love to have him as our QB of the future someday.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Richard Cirminiello of CollegeFootballNews.com writes that after originally being slated to be the next big thing as a pro-style quarterback at Michigan, Ryan Mallett bolted Ann Arbor when Rich Rodriguez came on board and changed the offensive philosophy. Instead, he’ll become the next pupil of Bobby Petrino to make NFL scouts sit up and take attention.

The Skinny: The 6’6” 238-pound Mallett is a pocket passer with the howitzer arm to make any kind of throw. Similar to Ben Roethlisberger, Mallett is so big that he easily shakes off defenders trying to bring him down. Even so, he has a great feel for the rush and a quick release that make him difficult to get to. He may not be very nimble when he’s forced outside the pocket, but he’s not afraid to stand in there a few extra seconds to deliver his throw. Say what you will about carpetbagger Bobby Petrino, but the man knows how to develop quarterbacks, and in Mallett---who throws a 115 mile-per-hour fastball---he has a lot to work with.

• JD81
  • Veteran
Being a Michigan fan I had high hopes for Mallet....Liked him alot....

Glad to see him playing well now.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He definitely has it. I would love to have him as our QB of the future someday.

i like this guy alot, in the who is the best qb thread i mention this guy. I love his arm and he reminds me of the good drew bledsoe.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

yeah that is quite hilarious.

Originally posted by JD81:
Being a Michigan fan I had high hopes for Mallet....Liked him alot....

Glad to see him playing well now.

He did well when Henne went down.....was it 2 years ago? Back to the topic, I liked him because had fun when he played, he was all smiles. But the kid does have skills, he needs to keep his ass in school and get his 4 years in.
red shirt sophomores can declare don't underestimate the angle of the rookie cap coming in 2011. He's got some competition if he does come out though.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

wow, 115 mph, so fake.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6'7" 238 lbs. and a rocket arm.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30724&SPID=2419&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=1514812&Q_SEASON=2009

He is a redshirt Sophmore which means he probably won't be turning pro real soon. There is something about this guy though. Every time I see Arkansas he seems impressive. He plays well in the pocket, has huge stature and a very strong arm. He makes accurate deep and intermediate throws and he will do the short dump off throws also.

He is definitely somebody to keep a close eye on for the future. He is so much better than expected and Arkansas seems better than expected too. I think he is a pretty impressive guy for the future.

What does everybody else think?

I just watched him play this weekend against Auburn! He is the real deal! He stays cool, calm, and tall in the pocket. A couple good prospects in that game Joe Adams WR and young RB Wingo. Wingo will be special!
Share 49ersWebzone