LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Mock Draft (First 8 picks only)

Originally posted by crzy:
Our pick there should be Taylor Mays. We can fix our RT spot through free agency.

Great Roy Williams II
Our pick there should be Taylor Mays. We can fix our RT spot through free agency.

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
In opinion, we correct the two weakest spots on the field with our two picks, RT and LG.

Early in the draft, the Niners can select the best OT left on the board. It might end up being the best OT in the draft, since this draft is defense top-heavy and there is a ton of uncertainty as to who is the best OT in the draft. I would think the Niners might be willing to trade down and draft a bigger-sized RT, who can drive block well, not just a nimble pass-protection stud. Ciron Black would be a reach early in the first round, but he's that type of jumbo-sized RT the Niners would probably love. Maybe someone else can emerge to make a good value selection that early.

I will say that Carolina is in real trouble at this point in the season, as their schedule is pretty rugged. They are not going to beat either New Orleans, nor Atlanta, and their non-conference is no snap as well. They look on a crash course for a top 6-7 pick.

As for the pick in the latter portion of the first round, one guy that jumps off the screen to me is mammoth LG Mike Iupati, from Idaho. All I can say is, "WOW". I saw him play last week, and he is tall, big, and big. Did I say BIG. Not fat at all. Just a big, broad, mountain. Great, great footwork. Looks like a tackle, not a guard, but just crushes people. Really, really impressive, and a guy you are going to hear about A LOT in the next six months.

Remember this name, Mike Iupati. He would make the bad memory of David Baas disappear very quickly. And, he looks like a lock as a first rounder. He's that athletic.

If the Niners can solve these two areas, and work very hard to improve Rachal's game, they will have a studly OL, which would be huge for our running and passing game.

tell that to joe staley. i bet he'll love that statement. or jerry rice. yeah... small school prospects can be better than most 1st rounders because they have that chip on their shoulder. so dont knock the small school.

What the hell is a possible first rounder playing at Idaho for?
In opinion, we correct the two weakest spots on the field with our two picks, RT and LG.

Early in the draft, the Niners can select the best OT left on the board. It might end up being the best OT in the draft, since this draft is defense top-heavy and there is a ton of uncertainty as to who is the best OT in the draft. I would think the Niners might be willing to trade down and draft a bigger-sized RT, who can drive block well, not just a nimble pass-protection stud. Ciron Black would be a reach early in the first round, but he's that type of jumbo-sized RT the Niners would probably love. Maybe someone else can emerge to make a good value selection that early.

I will say that Carolina is in real trouble at this point in the season, as their schedule is pretty rugged. They are not going to beat either New Orleans, nor Atlanta, and their non-conference is no snap as well. They look on a crash course for a top 6-7 pick.

As for the pick in the latter portion of the first round, one guy that jumps off the screen to me is mammoth LG Mike Iupati, from Idaho. All I can say is, "WOW". I saw him play last week, and he is tall, big, and big. Did I say BIG. Not fat at all. Just a big, broad, mountain. Great, great footwork. Looks like a tackle, not a guard, but just crushes people. Really, really impressive, and a guy you are going to hear about A LOT in the next six months.

Remember this name, Mike Iupati. He would make the bad memory of David Baas disappear very quickly. And, he looks like a lock as a first rounder. He's that athletic.

If the Niners can solve these two areas, and work very hard to improve Rachal's game, they will have a studly OL, which would be huge for our running and passing game.

Um... Does Jerry Rice ring a bell? Mississippi Valley State?

How about Central Michigan's Joe Staley?

1st rounders come from everywhere.
The Titans won't pick a QB...cmon. But I think the rest are very reasonable.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Mhmm. No one talks about Lupati -- yet -- (good looking out, MD) but he's pretty easily the best guard in the nation right now. There really isn't anyone close. And in terms of size, the only one who really compares is John Jerry of Ole Miss, but his feet aren't near quick enough to make him anything other than a day two guy.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 9, 2009 at 18:00:13 ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Mhmm. No one talks about Lupati -- yet -- (good looking out, MD) but he's pretty easily the best guard in the nation right now. There really isn't anyone close. And in terms of size, the only one who really compares is John Jerry of Ole Miss, but his feet aren't near quick enough to make him anything other than a day two guy.

OTC, what are your thoughts on the OTs? Where would the top guys this year rank against last year's tackles? I hear alot about Trent Williams falling, but is he still a top 10/15 pick?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

OTC, what are your thoughts on the OTs? Where would the top guys this year rank against last year's tackles? I hear alot about Trent Williams falling, but is he still a top 10/15 pick?

I don't think so. Honestly, just watching him.. he is not playing up to that level at all. Not in the least. Last year's class was far, far better. There were several top 10 worthy tackles -- and I believe Oher (who I felt was the best and most complete OT in the draft) was another that just didn't happen to go in the top 10, but definitely was worthy of it.

This year? There might not even be one top 10 worthy, and if so, then just barely. Just my opinion, but compared to last year's crop, the 2010 class stinks.

Even top guys like Bulaga are not top 15 worthy at this point. He's battled injuries early on, Rutgers underclassman OT Anthony Davis has been underwhelming, and seniors like Trent Williams and Ciron Black aren't playing exceptionally well. Not terrible, but you can see the disparity when you watch the play of tackles like these this year and then think back on what we saw last year..

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 9, 2009 at 18:25:13 ]

I don't think so. Honestly, just watching him.. he is not playing up to that level at all. Not in the least. Last year's class was far, far better. There were several top 10 worthy tackles -- and I believe Oher (who I felt was the best and most complete OT in the draft) was another that just didn't happen to go in the top 10, but definitely was worthy of it.

This year? There might not even be one top 10 worthy, and if so, then just barely. Just my opinion, but compared to last year's crop, the 2010 class stinks.

Even top guys like Bulaga are not top 15 worthy at this point. He's battled injuries early on, Rutgers underclassman OT Anthony Davis has been underwhelming, and seniors like Trent Williams and Ciron Black aren't playing exceptionally well. Not terrible, but you can see the disparity when you watch the play of tackles like these this year and then think back on what we saw last year..

The one guy I didn't see mentioned is Okung. I'm guessing he's the borderline top 10? Do you feel he's inferior to all 4 top OTs from last year?

The one guy I didn't see mentioned is Okung. I'm guessing he's the borderline top 10? Do you feel he's inferior to all 4 top OTs from last year?

Okung is probably a top 15 guy, but there's one big reason why I didn't mention him. He's not at all what we're looking for. He does not excel at run blocking, and in fact, that's his biggest weakness: Drive blocking. He's just not a road-grading RT prospect at all. A fine LT prospect for passing teams, but nothing like what the 49ers seem to be targeting characteristically.

Edit: If you want to see some guys that I feel would be good value picks that I really like, watch Sam Young (Notre Dame) or Kyle Calloway (Iowa). I especially love Calloway's play. He's got awesome explosion off the snap and I think could do well here. Now he does play in a zone-blocking scheme, but his pure skills and abilities I think translate well to what we're doing here, too. I think he's a little better in pass blocking than Young.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 9, 2009 at 22:21:19 ]

Eric Berry and Colt (45) Mccoy
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

REALLY? NO WAY!!!! I haz no ideaz thatz was possiblezzz!!!!

I was asking how someone so talented found himself at a scrub school. Great players can come from anywhere, I just want to know why he is playing for Idaho.

Exactly who?

In Free Agency, RTs get LT money.

-9fA
Originally posted by ninergold:
Maddog, do you think the Niners will burn a high pick on a RT? I was hoping that they could trade down, still pick up a RT and perhaps a G and pick up another pick.

I do think they need to restock at LB. They got lucky with McKillop, but there isn't any young talent in reserve outside.

I never think it is a good idea to burn a top 10 pick on a RT, but the Niners might just do it. It seemed like they had Michael Oher second on their draft board in the 2009 Draft.

A trade down is better for a RT, in my opinion.

You are right about the OLB position. I'm still not convinced our guys are good enough to make a difference in the long haul, and I don't see Brooks as a pass rusher.

REALLY? NO WAY!!!! I haz no ideaz thatz was possiblezzz!!!!

I was asking how someone so talented found himself at a scrub school. Great players can come from anywhere, I just want to know why he is playing for Idaho.

Iupati was a kid who moved to America from Samoa at 14, and had never played football. He was a star in high school, but was still pretty raw, and only a two star recruit.

Being from Anaheim, CA, it made sense that he stayed in the West, and Idaho was his landing place.
Share 49ersWebzone