There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CJ Spiller

Even if he were an accomplished PR, I dont think you'd want a 1st round pick returning punts for more than a couple years. Desean Jackson is the only one I can think of lately who is a so-called star player who still does punt returns, but I think the Eagles will probably be looking to replace him in that role as he establishes himself as a star receiver.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,206
Just curious, but do you ever have a random thought that you don't start a thread about?
Because he is a playmaker. A GREAT Kick returner, a very good punt returner, a dynamic running back who catches the ball like a WR. Think Marshall Faulk with some Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook sprinkled in and a Josh Cribbs like return man.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,474
Originally posted by TX9R:
Just curious, but do you ever have a random thought that you don't start a thread about?


Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Because he is a playmaker. A GREAT Kick returner, a very good punt returner, a dynamic running back who catches the ball like a WR. Think Marshall Faulk with some Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook sprinkled in and a Josh Cribbs like return man.

Um, I'm pretty sure the original post cited 6.5 yards per punt return. Let's not give credit where it's not due.
Dez Bryant "was" a good punt returner in college, but the pro game is not college.
He only has 4.5 - 4.55 speed ,and would be eaten up by fast DB's and LB's.
LeRoy Vann is scary quick. He's at full speed within a step or two. He's a great punt returner. He has experience at CB and WR. Maddog has him going in the 6th Round. Trindon Holliday was the #2 college sprinter. He'd be great in kickoff returns. He's also an RB. Maddog has him in the 3rd Round.
Jacoby Ford has Spiller speed as a receiver. He's a second rounder.
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Because he is a playmaker. A GREAT Kick returner, a very good punt returner, a dynamic running back who catches the ball like a WR. Think Marshall Faulk with some Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook sprinkled in and a Josh Cribbs like return man.

Um, I'm pretty sure the original post cited 6.5 yards per punt return. Let's not give credit where it's not due.


Yeah because as a freshman he avg 3.0yds a punt but as a Senior He avg 26.3yds on PR's (8-210yds-1td) as a Junior avg 10.5yds a return (18-189), as a sophmore 8.6 (16-137) he did struggle as a freshman
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Because he is a playmaker. A GREAT Kick returner, a very good punt returner, a dynamic running back who catches the ball like a WR. Think Marshall Faulk with some Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook sprinkled in and a Josh Cribbs like return man.

Um, I'm pretty sure the original post cited 6.5 yards per punt return. Let's not give credit where it's not due.


Yeah because as a freshman he avg 3.0yds a punt but as a Senior He avg 26.3yds on PR's (8-210yds-1td) as a Junior avg 10.5yds a return (18-189), as a sophmore 8.6 (16-137) he did struggle as a freshman

Ok, I knew something was wrong, OP probably was accounting for fair catches in the return avg.
Some people really need to look deeper into stats!
He's the reason Clemsons average starting field possition was near the 40 yrd line (37-39 if I remember correctly)
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Some people really need to look deeper into stats!
He's the reason Clemsons average starting field possition was near the 40 yrd line (37-39 if I remember correctly)

GREAT point. He will be a huge advantage in the field posistion battle for any team that gets him. Remember the year the Bears went to the superbowl how much FP helped them thanks to Hester
Hester was a second round pick 57 if they are going to draft spiller at pick 49 to retuner kicks great but at 13 they have more pressing needs. yes he would help the kicking game but in 2 or 3 yr when he is a starter they are not going to want him retruning kick any more. Like now that Hester is a starting WR they don't want him KR anymore. why because if he get hurt KR you loss a starting WR. I hope they draft someone later in the draft that can be there 3erd WR and KR/PR.
Another Spiller thread? Eh, fine.

For the recap:

Our offense is far from a powerhouse. Our best player (Gore) despite people's ascertations to the contrary needs help. And our best gamebreaking threat is our tight-end.

You can attack the issue from so many ways, just looking at Frank, another back could help prolong his career, play if Gore were to get dinged up, could help carry the load throughout a playoff run (fingers crossed), keep extras defenders out of the box when they go out on the field together. And more or less add a dynamic player to an offense who desperately needs one.

Our offense is the exact opposite of dynamic, or explosive, isn't it time to change that? CJ Spiller is the number 1 rated playmaker in this draft, that is why people have man-crushes on him. Its simple really.

For those who say its a luxary pick (and I don't agree we NEED playmakers on Special teams and on Offense) well that is why we have 2 first rounders.
Originally posted by dlance:
Hester was a second round pick 57 if they are going to draft spiller at pick 49 to retuner kicks great but at 13 they have more pressing needs. yes he would help the kicking game but in 2 or 3 yr when he is a starter they are not going to want him retruning kick any more. Like now that Hester is a starting WR they don't want him KR anymore. why because if he get hurt KR you loss a starting WR. I hope they draft someone later in the draft that can be there 3erd WR and KR/PR.


Yeah and Spiller is a heck of a RB who also catches the ball really well while Hester was just a return man.
If you have to ask...