There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CJ Spiller

i love the guys acting like a 4.37 is slow when it would make him the fastest guy on our whole team.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
i love the guys acting like a 4.37 is slow when it would make him the fastest guy on our whole team.

Patrick Willis ring a bell?
Vernon Davis also ran a 4.38
Jason Hill ran a 4.32
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Jason Hill ran a 4.32

umm yeah, P-Willy ran a 4.5 at the combine, a 4.41 at his pro day, and recently said he is not as fast as Vernon.

Vernon did run a 4.38 and Hill did run a 4.32 but neither have proven to play at that speed, rather in college or in the pros.

Spiller actually played up to his speed in college, he's one of those guys who plays fast with pads on and the ball in his hands. And those types are always in short supply.

Jason Hill ran a 4.32

umm yeah, P-Willy ran a 4.5 at the combine, a 4.41 at his pro day, and recently said he is not as fast as Vernon.

Vernon did run a 4.38 and Hill did run a 4.32 but neither have proven to play at that speed, rather in college or in the pros.

Spiller actually played up to his speed in college, he's one of those guys who plays fast with pads on and the ball in his hands. And those types are always in short supply.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But Vernon Davis certainly plays to his speed. 13 TD's (NFL Record shared with only Antonio Gates) and almost 1,000 yards. How does he not play to his speed?

Jason Hill certainly gets behind people and makes plays when he has his chances. For some strange reason sing likes the slow, lumbering Morgan better. But he also thinks taking Pep Rally timeouts is a good idea when he could use them for challenges instead to overturn bad calls...

Of course Willis is not as fast as Vernon Davis. I don't understand why this myth is believed on this site so often. Willis ran 4.49 at the combine at Indy. Vernon ran 4.38. That's the same surface comparing apples to apples. The Willis #'s that are better are from a very super fast rubber track and not at all comparible to the Indy combine suface. How these guys compare an orange to an apple is beyond me. You can't compare a fast rubber track to the combine surface at Indy. That's 2 seperate issues and 2 seperate surfaces. Vernon = faster.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Jason Hill ran a 4.32

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. But Vernon Davis certainly plays to his speed. 13 TD's (NFL Record shared with only Antonio Gates) and almost 1,000 yards. How does he not play to his speed?

Jason Hill certainly gets behind people and makes plays when he has his chances. For some strange reason sing likes the slow, lumbering Morgan better. But he also thinks taking Pep Rally timeouts is a good idea when he could use them for challenges instead to overturn bad calls...

Of course Willis is not as fast as Vernon Davis. I don't understand why this myth is believed on this site so often. Willis ran 4.49 at the combine at Indy. Vernon ran 4.38. That's the same surface comparing apples to apples. The Willis #'s that are better are from a very super fast rubber track and not at all comparible to the Indy combine suface. How these guys compare an orange to an apple is beyond me. You can't compare a fast rubber track to the combine surface at Indy. That's 2 seperate issues and 2 seperate surfaces. Vernon = faster.

Willis ran an official 4.51

Vernon Davis may have had 13 TD's and nearly 1000 yards but that does not show a player playing to his timed speed. Those are merely numbers that indicate he caught a lot of passes and scored a bunch of TD's. Davis is straight line fast but does not play like a guy who possesses 4.3 speed.

Jason Hill plays fast but again not 4.3 fast. Look at guys like Lee Evans, DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin as prime examples of guys who play and timed as 4.3 fast.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12989449?tag=untagged

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."

Scott Wright posted something about Spiller's 40, he did say that he timed him at 4.28.
i would love cj spiller at running back big question is will he be available when we pick probably not if he is there we should draft him he add something we sorely lack speed and explosiveness on special teams and offense i also like j best forget about concussion that kid can flat out play the game if we cant get spiller im sure he will be available to us
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
i would love cj spiller at running back big question is will he be available when we pick probably not if he is there we should draft him he add something we sorely lack speed and explosiveness on special teams and offense i also like j best forget about concussion that kid can flat out play the game if we cant get spiller im sure he will be available to us

4.47 or 4.37 or 4.27...I don't give a rat's azz...

THAT IS FOOTBALL Break-away SPEED RIGHT THERE!!

Since I am post whore for this vid, I will use the space for another question.

Where would you say Spiller is on our board as compared to Bulaga or Williams? Do you think that our need + talent moves Williams and Bulaga in the top 10 with Spiller just below or just before?

The reason is that if both Williams and Spiller are there at #13, who do we choose?
Spiller needs to be on the 49ers . You can analize his positives and negatives till draft day, however, the one thing you cannot deny is that he can help this franchise win. Spiller at 13 and an OT at 17.
Originally posted by Reckless:
Spiller needs to be on the 49ers . You can analize his positives and negatives till draft day, however, the one thing you cannot deny is that he can help this franchise win. Spiller at 13 and an OT at 17.

This
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
After watching him in the combine...I gotta say that if/should he drop to us....get get him.
My fear is that if we draft Spiller, we won't utilize him correctly..... We have one of the weakest offensive game planners in the league..
Originally posted by Nes49:
After watching him in the combine...I gotta say that if/should he drop to us....get get him.

I agree, but the real question is, will McClaughan take him with the 13th or 17th pick? McClaughan stated his “philosophy” for the record that he is only interested in taking "big men" in the first round. Spiller, albeit, is no small guy but is 5'11", 196lbs big enough for McClaughan. You can argue intangibles all you want but when your GM has a rigid philosophy and is unwilling to compromise, we are all bound by his decisions, good or bad.
I think he's big enough considering that he'd probably only be getting 10 carries max with Gore around and still elite for the next few years.