There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CJ Spiller

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by teeohh:
On NFL Network, they just said Jahvid Best ran the fastest 40 time for RBs at 4.35! They say Spiller ran a 4.37!

why is the unofficial time so off

Mik Mayock was so confused by it.

It's entirely possible someone typoed it in the official results as well. It's hard to believe there would be that big of a difference in his official time when his unofficial times were so consistent at 4.28 and 4.27. Maybe it was supposed to be a 4.28 and not 4.38. hard to say, but either way, he is FAST.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
just cuz spiller ran a 4.28 will not mean hes going top 10. other than cleveland who in front of us is gonna look at spiller hard? those teams in front of us got so much more needs then spiller.

Totally agree, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland sign Tomlinson or Westbrook as their feature back.

???

I think Jerome Harrison is their feature back...

It's the Browns. I'm not surprised by anything they do. I just wouldn't be shocked to see them give either one of those RB's a chance to be their starter.
just cuz spiller ran a 4.28 will not mean hes going top 10. other than cleveland who in front of us is gonna look at spiller hard? those teams in front of us got so much more needs then spiller.

Totally agree, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland sign Tomlinson or Westbrook as their feature back.

???

It's the Browns. I'm not surprised by anything they do. I just wouldn't be shocked to see them give either one of those RB's a chance to be their starter.

harrison was balling in the final gms of the season when they gave him a chance. i expect spiller to be there at 13th and us to take him unless someone who had no business falling falls and gives us something to think very hard. if spiller gets picked before us i would be really surprised and on top of that pissed
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Say good-bye to the 49ers chances of drafting CJ Spiller.

Well, if he does get taken in the top 10, you know that another very good player will drop to us. So it's not like it's a disaster or anything.

For the educated maybe but you know how that goes around these here parts

Are you applauding my post or clapping for Team Canada

It's hockey time boys!

Yea right; because equally if not more educated fans have a different opinion, then they make no sense? OOOOOOOOOOOK.

You totally missed the boat on the point.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

???

No. he will be part of the rotation but they are looking to add a compliment to him. Could see them possibly biting on Matthews/Gerhart in round 2.

Poor Jerome

was KILLING at the end of the season

He earned himself a heavier workload but I'd expect the Browns to be a run heavy team this year and they won't give Harrison 20-25 carries a game but he is likely to still see 10-15 touches IMO.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Say good-bye to the 49ers chances of drafting CJ Spiller.

Well, if he does get taken in the top 10, you know that another very good player will drop to us. So it's not like it's a disaster or anything.

For the educated maybe but you know how that goes around these here parts

Are you applauding my post or clapping for Team Canada

It's hockey time boys!

Yea right; because equally if not more educated fans have a different opinion, then they make no sense? OOOOOOOOOOOK.

You totally missed the boat on the point.

I probably did... And do agree that if he is not there at 13, we will still have the opportunity to make a solid pick
On NFL Network, they just said Jahvid Best ran the fastest 40 time for RBs at 4.35! They say Spiller ran a 4.37!

Because "unofficial" is hand timed and "official" is electronic timed.

Spiller ran a 4.37 period. These guys in the thread don't know what they are talking about. Unofficial hand timed 40 yard times don't count...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Spiller ran a 4.37 period. These guys in the thread don't know what they are talking about. Unofficial hand timed 40 yard times don't count...

then why does it take so long for them to announce the official times if it's electronic

and not sure if it means anything but it was either mayock or some other dude saying that scouts timed the runs by hand and preferred that to the official times, that's basically what he said
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

then why does it take so long for them to announce the official times if it's electronic

and not sure if it means anything but it was either mayock or some other dude saying that scouts timed the runs by hand and preferred that to the official times, that's basically what he said

Some peopld do "prefer" it but that doesn't make it more accurate. I suppose they release it later at the end of the day when they publish the times. That's why it takes so long. Any fool sitting there all day with a stop watch can announce what their "hand time" is to the world. It doesn't make it accurate.
I fully understand the concept of official versus unofficial, but it's still mighty strange that Spiller's time was so far off. The dude ran a 4.28 and 4.27 unofficially and was by far the most penalized player so far when his time was converted to official status. The funny thing is that he has always appeared faster with the ball in his hands than Jacoby Ford. I would like to know what the first 10 yards of Spiller's 40 was, as he has the best acceleration I think I have ever seen on the field.

4.37 is nothing to hang your head about, but that's definitely on the slow side for his range. Still think it's weird that he had an entire tenth of a second added to his unofficial time.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
I fully understand the concept of official versus unofficial, but it's still mighty strange that Spiller's time was so far off. The dude ran a 4.28 and 4.27 unofficially and was by far the most penalized player so far when his time was converted to official status. The funny thing is that he has always appeared faster with the ball in his hands than Jacoby Ford. I would like to know what the first 10 yards of Spiller's 40 was, as he has the best acceleration I think I have ever seen on the field.

4.37 is nothing to hang your head about, but that's definitely on the slow side for his range. Still think it's weird that he had an entire tenth of a second added to his unofficial time.

they just pressed the button that fast because like you guys they wanted spiller to be the fastest guy in the world

cj spiller is good but is by far the most overrated prospect
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

I'm quite happy he timed a little slow, that may be all it takea for him to fall to us at #13.Love to have the #! RB in the draft!

I watched NFLN all day today and saw the replays over and over.
The only thing I can think of is CJ dips his back knee before actually moving forward. If you remember on day 1 of QB 40s they said that would start the clock and they would try to restart you if they see it. But he definatly looked way faster then a 4.37

[ Edited by solidg2000 on Feb 28, 2010 at 20:56:26 ]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12989449?tag=untagged

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12989449?tag=untagged

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."

Interesting. I honestly think there's no way CJ ran a 4.37. Had to have been faster, atleast IMO. Either way guy's a hell of a playmaker with mad skills and would be hard to pass up.