LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Toby Gerhart is a beast

The last really good white RB I recall seeing, who actually got substantial playing time in the NFL, was the 9'ers' Paul Hofer. Injury shortened his career. Too bad.
  • mando1988
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
heard a lot about it but never checked out any film. this is the type of compliment to gore that we need !

Jimmy raye would jizz in his pants if the niners got him....just imagine how many times a game raye would try and run him up the middle lol...
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
The last really good white RB I recall seeing, who actually got substantial playing time in the NFL, was the 9'ers' Paul Hofer. Injury shortened his career. Too bad.

you forget craig james, part of the pony expresss at smu with eric dickerson..james had some good years with pats but was injury prone

btw niners reportedly would have taken james with their first pick the year he came out....however he signed with the washington team in the usfl before the nfl draft and niners settled taking roger craig...makes one wonder how niners fortunes might have been different had they got james rather than craig
I don't know why but he reminds of Mike Alstott a little bit.. I see Rathman molding Gerhart's game exactly like how he (meaning Rathman) played back in the day.. I was telling my dad this over the weekend, how awesome would it be to have Gerhart and Gore coming out of the backfield?! Especially running split backs would confuse guys every now and then..

C'mon Man! We have one of the most awesome RB's coach in Tom Rathman!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Nice college player, but come on, there hasn't been a good white RB since Riggins. Why play those percentages?
He is a big guy, could he be a Larry Centers type fullback in the NFL, or just a tail back.
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jta854:
He is a big guy, could he be a Larry Centers type fullback in the NFL, or just a tail back.

Yea i just dont see him being an everydown back in the NFL. I think he can be a good short yardage back/solid FB though. But I dont think we really need that we need more of a shifty all purpose kind of back to compliment gore.
FB maybe?
Fullback ? YES .. but I wouldn't make him strictly a blocking fullback with his running abilities. I would line him up with Frank Gore but also give him the ball OFTEN.

The problem with most teams fullback is that they seldom get the ball. I wouldn't do that with Toby.

It wouldn't hurt either if someone were to work with him on catching passes.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Overrated. The Pac-10 is soft. Put him in the SEC, Big 12 or Big Ten and see how he well he runs.

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:
Overrated. The Pac-10 is soft. Put him in the SEC, Big 12 or Big Ten and see how he well he runs.

Exactly!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Bunch of bulls**t. You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:

Normally, an Ingram supporter would point out that Ingram faces much more difficult competition than Gerhart, because Ingram is in the SEC. This year, though, the SEC has some abysmal defenses and the Pac-10 is actually better in terms of rushing defense, allowing 133 yards per game (122 not counting Washington State), compared to 136 yards per game in the SEC (132 not counting Kentucky).

In particular, Ingram has played against much poorer competition than Gerhart — Ingram has not played any team ranked higher than 39th in rush defense and three of his opponents are ranked worse than 100th in rush defense. Gerhart, on the other hand, has played three of the top 15 rush defenses and has played only one opponent worse than 100th (San Jose State).

Originally posted by crzy:

Bunch of bulls**t. You don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:

Normally, an Ingram supporter would point out that Ingram faces much more difficult competition than Gerhart, because Ingram is in the SEC. This year, though, the SEC has some abysmal defenses and the Pac-10 is actually better in terms of rushing defense, allowing 133 yards per game (122 not counting Washington State), compared to 136 yards per game in the SEC (132 not counting Kentucky).

In particular, Ingram has played against much poorer competition than Gerhart — Ingram has not played any team ranked higher than 39th in rush defense and three of his opponents are ranked worse than 100th in rush defense. Gerhart, on the other hand, has played three of the top 15 rush defenses and has played only one opponent worse than 100th (San Jose State).

I'd love to see the Pac-10 sweep the bowls this year, and they can possibly do it.

You might consider him a FB because of his size, but the Redskins' John Riggins was a bruising white RB.
[ Edited by SoCal9er on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by SoCal9er:

You might consider him a FB because of his size, but the Redskins' John Riggins was a bruising white RB.

riggins also had very good speed for a 230 lb back, of any color
Share 49ersWebzone