There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The 2010 NFL Draft- WR Discussion Thread (UPDATED: Post Crabtree Deal)

niners first question would be, is dez represented by eugene parker...if so, move on
I like Dez but I wouldn't select him. That would be way too much money invested in the receiver position despite the fact that we already have Crabs, Morgan, Hill, and Jones. Jason Hill played well last year in his limited roll and should be given an opportunity to play.

We must address the o-line like what everyone says and we should draft Spiller.
after 2 quarters of football, everyone is already banking on Smith being the answer at QB. Our draft needs change week to week.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
after 2 quarters of football, everyone is already banking on Smith being the answer at QB. Our draft needs change week to week.

Wishful thinking obviously. Because if he's not, then we're screwed for another couple years at least.

Obviously the best way to make a QB look good is to have good players around him. We've got players at every position now except at OL, where we're starting a couple of career backups in Baas and Snyder, and Chilo.

I mean, sure at least Baas has kinda settled in the last few games, but it's one thing to have serviceable linemen, and another to have dominant Pro-Bowl caliber guys.
[ Edited by znk916 on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I just think it reflects that people really don't want to take a QB. If it's not Smith it's back to the Nate Davis bandwagon. Can't say I blame them this QB class is nothing special.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If he is the BPA and there are no dynamic O LINEMEN on the board I wouldn't mind the pick. But he wouldn't be my first choice. He could potentially make for an explosive offense. Having lots of weapons is good. Look at New Orleans. Weapons galore can make you an excellent NFL team.

Yeah this is where I stand also. Having weapons are great, and if he is unquestionably the BPA and the OL we want will be there by pick 20 or whatever, then go for it. But if a legit OT is available, lets get him.
Thank god Sing is our Coach...no way in hell he selects this Kid...he had reservations about selecting Crabtree over Oher......No way he lets this go down...i
Getting a solid o-lineman would be highly preferable over Bryant, we don't need TWO recievers on our team with Deion affiliations. A pass rusher or safety (Berry!!!) would be preferable as well.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
If Alex Smith elevates his game to the point where we don't have a QB competition next year for the starting job, then I see Dez Bryant a possibility to the 49ers with the following conditions:

- Williams and Okung are off the board
- Berry is off the board
- We sign a starting RT or LG in free agency
- Battle, Bruce, and Hill are gone
We've got bigger needs than WR, I don't see how anyone could argue that. But if the value isn't there at one of those needs for one of our picks, and Bryant is, than I think we'd be fools to pass on him.

I like Morgan, Crabs, Hill, Jones, etc as much as the next guy. I also hate the idea of starting Sims at RT, and I'm far from convinced we have a QB on the roster that could even make proper use of a Bryant/Crabs combo if we had one. The defense has a few positions that grade out as bigger needs than WR, too. But if Bryant falls to the point that he's clearly the best value (i.e. certainly beyond picks 8-12, maybe even out of the first altogether), than we should take him.

I'm not saying he's gonna fall necessarily, just that we should consider him if he does. Regardless of how much we "need" him. AZ didn't necessarily "need" Fitzgerald, either. I'd say that worked okay.

Going WR when its not really the biggest need didn't kill the Lions franchise. Consistently missing on picks like Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, etc did. Repeatedly drafting WR's was a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.
if hes on the board hell yes if we signed olinemen in fa or if the olineman we wanted is not on the board. i dont want us taking a guy just cuz hes an olineman and we need it if hes not the guy we really want.
I don't know why you guys even argue when the pattern of the 9er organization has been to draft the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE in 1st round especially in the high picks. If Dez falls to us and there are mediocre OTs the pick is obvious. C'mon now!
O-line and a pass rusher first, then a running back that could be a true heir apparent to Gore!
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I don't know why you guys even argue when the pattern of the 9er organization has been to draft the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE in 1st round especially in the high picks. If Dez falls to us and there are mediocre OTs the pick is obvious. C'mon now!

no then we trade back
I wouldn't because of our current Oline and the problem is, We are a running team.