LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Who can address our need at Right Tackle?

I was hoping to get the thoughts of those in the know about potential RT's that we can pursue. Although it's very early, I think it's our most glaring need, even moreso than WR or QB. Is there anyone out there that would be worthy of a 1st Round pick? Who are some sleepers to look out for?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Ciron Black from LSU would be a nice choice in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Originally posted by GEEK:

I like him too, I think he will go in the first round though around 20.
Could a RT be one of our 1st round picks?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

If its a 15-25 pick area, then I'd say it's acceptable. Good offensive lines have legit OTs on both sides. McKinnie and Loadholt in MN, McNeal and Olivea in SD, Atlanta's OTs (names escape me at this point), etc.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I like him too, I think he will go in the first round though around 20.

Ciron Blacks declining draft projection has really puzzled me... During this time last year - he seemed like a surefire first rounder. But apparently questions about his athleticism and pass protection have caused him to be seen as more of a middle rounder.

If we do not address the need in the first round with a Trent Williams, then Black would be my top option in subsequent rounds. However, as it stands right now, I predicting our 1st round to look like this:

1a) Trent Williams (OT) - Top 15 selection
1b) Jerry Hughes (OLB) - Pick #20-25

I feel the most optimistic prediction would have us landing one of either Trent Williams, Eric Berry, or Ndamukong Suh with our 1st pick...

However, Jerry Hughes is a MUST have with our 2nd 1st rounder - He is a natural strong-side DE/OLB and is the most effective pass rusher in the draft. Pairing him with Parys Haralson will provide with the pass rush that we've been seeking for so long.
  • evil
  • Veteran

If its a 15-25 pick area, then I'd say it's acceptable. Good offensive lines have legit OTs on both sides. McKinnie and Loadholt in MN, McNeal and Olivea in SD, Atlanta's OTs (names escape me at this point), etc.

Clary is the RT is SD....I don't even think Olivea is on that team anymore.

How about the Eagles old tandem of Thomas and Runyan. Tennessee has Roos and Stewart
I like the idea of drafting a ORT in Rd 1. We need to finally address that position. I like Trent Williams & Anthony Davis.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Clary is the RT is SD....I don't even think Olivea is on that team anymore.

How about the Eagles old tandem of Thomas and Runyan. Tennessee has Roos and Stewart

I never said my list was current :-).

But yeah, you get what I am saying.

Their names are Sam Baker and Tyson Clabo. Sam Baker their LT was a first round pick, Clabo was originally a UDFA with the Broncos.

I wish we had hung onto that OT/OG that we cut and Atlanta signed, Harvey Dahl.
Then we wouldn't have had to worry about signing Baas again.
Bryan Bulaga is my pick for a RT later in the first or early second.
Whoever models themselves after Kevin Gogan, minus the penalties would be fine by me.
I would really like to get a RT with one of them 1st round picks. We need to get that tackle spot taken care of.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I was hoping to get the thoughts of those in the know about potential RT's that we can pursue. Although it's very early, I think it's our most glaring need, even moreso than WR or QB. Is there anyone out there that would be worthy of a 1st Round pick? Who are some sleepers to look out for?

Good crop of OTs next year. Trent Williams and Russell Okung are the SR standouts and Ciron Black will be in the mix as well. Bryan Bulaga is the JR standout. Sleepers to look out for are Sam Young, the Notre Dame right tackle, and Chris Scott, the left tackle of Tennessee. Williams is ranked #9 and Okung #14 on Kiper's board.
Share 49ersWebzone