There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jahvid Best ?

Originally posted by Butter:
RB/KR Options

Quote:
Jahvid Best, California - Scouting Report
Height: 5-10. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
1/3/10: Jahvid Best has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Best is a talented player, but his small frame and durability issues could push him into Round 2. Still, he can't risk another injury-ridden season.

10/10/09: Drawing comparisons to Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best has 514 rushing yards, 11 receptions and nine touchdowns through five games. His YPC is an outstanding 6.2.

2/6/09: Jahvid Best could be targeted late in the first round if he runs a 4.3 at the Combine. Best had 1,580 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns on an amazing 8.1 YPC. He also caught 27 balls for 246 yards and another score.

C.J. Spiller, Clemson - Scouting Report
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.34.
Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
1/3/09: If C.J. Spiller runs a mid-4.3 at the combine, he could be chosen in the first round to be utilized in a Felix Jones-type role. Spiller had 1,042 total yards and 10 touchdowns in 2008. He also scored on a kickoff return.

Noel Devine*, West Virginia
Height: 5-8. Weight: 175.
Projected 40 Time: 4.31.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
11/7/09: Someone will draft Noel Devine in Rounds 3-4 if he runs a fast 40. He's averaging 6.2 YPC and 8.2 yards per reception this year. He'll be seen as a Darren Sproles-type player.

2/6/09: There's a chance Noel Devine runs a 4.2 at the Combine. If that happens, he could be selected on Day 1. As a sophomore, Devine rushed for 1,289 yards on a 6.3 YPC. He also caught 35 balls for 185 more yards.

7/25/08: Noel Devine might be exciting to watch because of his blazing speed. His yards-per-carry average (8.6) is also astonishing. Unfortunately, he's nothing more than a third-down back and a kick returner, as his small size limits his NFL potential.

Joe McKnight*, USC
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
10/10/09: When Matt Barkley needed to put together a game-winning drive against Ohio State, he went to Joe McKnight early and often. McKnight even had some tough carries in between the tackles. His weakness is picking up blitzes, but that is something that can be taught.

2/6/09: Joe McKnight did a good job putting on some bulk. However, he carried the ball just 89 times in 2008. He was impressive when he did get the rock, rushing for 659 yards (7.4 YPC) and two touchdowns. He also caught 21 balls for 193 yards.

7/25/08: Joe McKnight has a lot of carries where he loses yardage, but he has the speed to break long gains - at the college level. I don't know how that'll work in the NFL. However, he does have blazing speed, so he should make for a good return specialist and third-down back.

Michael Smith, Arkansas
Height: 5-8. Weight: 180.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
2/6/09: The blazing-fast Michael Smith rushed for 1,072 yards and eight touchdowns despite his small frame. He also caught 32 balls for 298 yards and two more scores.

Brandon James, Florida
Height: 5-7. Weight: 186.
Projected 40 Time: 4.33.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
10/10/09: Listed as a return specialist only. Brandon James, whose 40 will get some attention, returned two punts for touchdowns in 2008. He already has a kick return for a score this season

LaMarcus Coker, Hampton
Height: 5-11. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.36.
Projected Round (2010): FA.
5/21/08: The aptly named LaMarcus Coker was dismissed from Tennessee after failing his fourth drug test. You'd think he'd learn after failing three!

2007: LaMarcus Coker runs a 4.3 and led the Vols in rushing as a freshman with 696 yards. So, why is he all the way down here? Coker was suspended indefinitely in early August for violating Tennessee's substance-abuse policy. Who knows when he'll be back? However, one thing is clear - NFL coaches and general managers won't forget this come April 2009 or 2010.

These are all small/speedster RB/KR options. I only posted players with sub-4.4 fortys. I know that speed isn't the only issue here, but a lot of fans have been excited about C.J. Spiller. This shows that this years draft has a lot of speedy players who could be options at KR/PR. And this is only the RB's.

If the Niners could draft a combo player from the obvious RB/WR/CB spots, it'd be great to have that versatility as an option.

Great info. I would really like the 49ers to draft a couple players who can returrn so we have a couple options!
tohara3, I totally agree. I did not realize that there were so many speedsters in this draft. I'm assuming that most of those are unofficial times, and that list was generated early in the year, but between the three positions, RB/WR/CB, I don't see any reason why the Niners would be forced to spend a #1 pick on Spiller.

I do agree that it'd be good to have a Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush type change of pace back to compliment Gore, but I think that can be found later in the draft.
Originally posted by Butter:
RB/KR Options

Quote:
Jahvid Best, California - Scouting Report
Height: 5-10. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.
1/3/10: Jahvid Best has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Best is a talented player, but his small frame and durability issues could push him into Round 2. Still, he can't risk another injury-ridden season.

10/10/09: Drawing comparisons to Chris Johnson, Jahvid Best has 514 rushing yards, 11 receptions and nine touchdowns through five games. His YPC is an outstanding 6.2.

2/6/09: Jahvid Best could be targeted late in the first round if he runs a 4.3 at the Combine. Best had 1,580 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns on an amazing 8.1 YPC. He also caught 27 balls for 246 yards and another score.

C.J. Spiller, Clemson - Scouting Report
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.34.
Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
1/3/09: If C.J. Spiller runs a mid-4.3 at the combine, he could be chosen in the first round to be utilized in a Felix Jones-type role. Spiller had 1,042 total yards and 10 touchdowns in 2008. He also scored on a kickoff return.

Noel Devine*, West Virginia
Height: 5-8. Weight: 175.
Projected 40 Time: 4.31.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
11/7/09: Someone will draft Noel Devine in Rounds 3-4 if he runs a fast 40. He's averaging 6.2 YPC and 8.2 yards per reception this year. He'll be seen as a Darren Sproles-type player.

2/6/09: There's a chance Noel Devine runs a 4.2 at the Combine. If that happens, he could be selected on Day 1. As a sophomore, Devine rushed for 1,289 yards on a 6.3 YPC. He also caught 35 balls for 185 more yards.

7/25/08: Noel Devine might be exciting to watch because of his blazing speed. His yards-per-carry average (8.6) is also astonishing. Unfortunately, he's nothing more than a third-down back and a kick returner, as his small size limits his NFL potential.

Joe McKnight*, USC
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
10/10/09: When Matt Barkley needed to put together a game-winning drive against Ohio State, he went to Joe McKnight early and often. McKnight even had some tough carries in between the tackles. His weakness is picking up blitzes, but that is something that can be taught.

2/6/09: Joe McKnight did a good job putting on some bulk. However, he carried the ball just 89 times in 2008. He was impressive when he did get the rock, rushing for 659 yards (7.4 YPC) and two touchdowns. He also caught 21 balls for 193 yards.

7/25/08: Joe McKnight has a lot of carries where he loses yardage, but he has the speed to break long gains - at the college level. I don't know how that'll work in the NFL. However, he does have blazing speed, so he should make for a good return specialist and third-down back.

Michael Smith, Arkansas
Height: 5-8. Weight: 180.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2010): 5-6.
2/6/09: The blazing-fast Michael Smith rushed for 1,072 yards and eight touchdowns despite his small frame. He also caught 32 balls for 298 yards and two more scores.

Brandon James, Florida
Height: 5-7. Weight: 186.
Projected 40 Time: 4.33.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
10/10/09: Listed as a return specialist only. Brandon James, whose 40 will get some attention, returned two punts for touchdowns in 2008. He already has a kick return for a score this season

LaMarcus Coker, Hampton
Height: 5-11. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.36.
Projected Round (2010): FA.
5/21/08: The aptly named LaMarcus Coker was dismissed from Tennessee after failing his fourth drug test. You'd think he'd learn after failing three!

2007: LaMarcus Coker runs a 4.3 and led the Vols in rushing as a freshman with 696 yards. So, why is he all the way down here? Coker was suspended indefinitely in early August for violating Tennessee's substance-abuse policy. Who knows when he'll be back? However, one thing is clear - NFL coaches and general managers won't forget this come April 2009 or 2010.

These are all small/speedster RB/KR options. I only posted players with sub-4.4 fortys. I know that speed isn't the only issue here, but a lot of fans have been excited about C.J. Spiller. This shows that this years draft has a lot of speedy players who could be options at KR/PR. And this is only the RB's.

If the Niners could draft a combo player from the obvious RB/WR/CB spots, it'd be great to have that versatility as an option.

Nice post. I think Noel Devine would be really good value if he were available in rounds 3-4.
Did he ever take any to the house? I can't remember
joe mcknight was VERY UNRELIABLE as a PR at USC.

did j.best ever return punts at cal? i thought it was all s.thompson.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
joe mcknight was VERY UNRELIABLE as a PR at USC.

did j.best ever return punts at cal? i thought it was all s.thompson.

I can't remember Best returning anything, Thompson did for sure.
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
joe mcknight was VERY UNRELIABLE as a PR at USC.

did j.best ever return punts at cal? i thought it was all s.thompson.

Someone worth watching will be playing for Bama tomorrow night: Javiar Arenas. Guy is a dynamic return man and a pretty good DB as well.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
joe mcknight was VERY UNRELIABLE as a PR at USC.

did j.best ever return punts at cal? i thought it was all s.thompson.

Someone worth watching will be playing for Bama tomorrow night: Javiar Arenas. Guy is a dynamic return man and a pretty good DB as well.

as much as i hate to admit it, we need more speed in the secondary, especially when it comes to the slot which is where i believe arenas is going to have to try to cut his teeth in the NFL. his lack of speed will hurt him in this area IMO. I'm not sure he will be able to replicate his success as a returner in the NFL either, but i like his sure handedness.
CB KR/PR Options

I'm not crazy about the fact that these rankings haven't been updated since May 2009, but it gives us a list to look at.

Quote:
Donovan Warren, Michigan
Height: 6-0. Weight: 182.
Projected 40 Time: 4.38.
Projected Round (2010): Top 25 Pick.
1/3/10: Donovan Warren has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Warren is an excellent corner. He made the right move by capitalizing on an incredible junior campaign. He should be the second corner off the board.

3/7/09: Not even Donovan Warren's stock was immune to Rich Rodriguez's blunders. Warren regressed a bit in 2008, but still finished with 52 tackles, 3.5 TFL, four passes broken up and a pick.

8/5/08: Donovan Warren played extremely well as a true freshman in 2007, starting 11 games, and managing 52 tackles and six pass break-ups. He qualified for the Freshman All-America first team.

Kyle Wilson, Boise State
Height: 5-10. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
3/7/09: If you think Kyle Wilson's 10 passes broken up and five picks are impressive, just check out his three punt returns for touchdowns and his average of 14.2.

Javier Arenas, Alabama
Height: 5-9. Weight: 198.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2010): 2-3.
3/7/09: Working more as a corner for the first time in his collegiate career, Javier Arenas thrived, breaking up seven passes. The All-SEC second-teamer was also a dynamic return specialist; he scored three touchdowns on punt returns and maintained a 23.6 average on kickoffs.

8/5/08: Javier Arenas hasn't seen much action as a corner, starring primarily as a return specialist - and a pretty solid one at that.

Crezdon Butler, Clemson
Height: 6-0. Weight: 185.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
3/7/09: Establishing himself as one of the better corners in the nation, Crezdon Butler collected 43 tackles, four picks, five passes broken up and 3.5 TFL. His 40 is also appealing.

8/5/08: Any corner who runs a 4.3 is bound to get noticed at the combine (particularly by Al Davis), but that's not to say Crezdon Butler isn't talented. Butler started every game as a sophomore, and recorded 49 tackles and three picks.

LeRoy Vann, Florida A&M
Height: 5-9. Weight: 185.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2010): 4-5.
3/7/09: I'm not sure how effective LeRoy Vann will be as an NFL corner, but when you have six kickoff/punt returns for touchdowns in a single season, who cares?

Jerome Murphy, South Florida
Height: 6-1. Weight: 185.
Projected 40 Time: 4.39.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
3/7/09: Jerome Murphy is more than just some fast 40 time. He had 67 tackles, five passes broken up, 3.5 TFL and two picks as a junior.

A.J. Jefferson, Fresno State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2010): 6-FA.
3/7/09: Not much of a corner, but A.J. Jefferson had yet another kickoff return for a touchdown as a junior. He averaged a dazzling 29.3 yards per return.

8/5/08: A.J. Jefferson is listed here as a kick returner. He scored two touchdowns on special teams last year, and even maintained the nation's top return average. He also blocked a field goal and returned that for a score.

A.J. Wallace, Penn State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 188.
Projected 40 Time: 4.37.
Projected Round (2010): 7-FA.
3/7/09: More playing time actually hurt A.J. Wallace, as he was often exposed. Still, he runs a great 40, so someone will consider him in the later rounds.

8/5/08: A.J. Wallace will have scouts and GMs drooling, as he easily runs a 4.3 with a very nice frame (6-1). He started four games as a sophomore, and recorded 33 tackles and four pass break-ups. He also had a touchdown on a kick return. Wallace will have more playing time with Justin King off to the NFL.

It seems like there was more raw speed from the RB group, but there is some very good production from this group as well.

The Niners could try to nab a decent CB's who could also return kicks in rounds 2-4, and then take another one of the guys in later rounds primarily as a PR/KR option.
After digging a little deeper into the NCAA stats from this year

These are all in order of overall rank best to worst based on TD, Avg/game, total yds, etc.

TD Punt Returns
1 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB
1 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
2 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
2 Damian Williams, Southern California WR
1 Emmanuel Sanders, SMU WR
2 Antonio Brown, Central Mich. WR
3 LaVon Brazill, Ohio WR
2 Jordan Shipley, Texas WR
0 David Leonard, Wyoming WR
1 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
1 Robert McClain III, Connecticut DB
0 Jason Frierson, FIU WR
0 Price Miller, Georgia DB
2 Delano Green, Temple WR
0 Marcus Anderson, New Mexico St. WR
1 Niles Paul, Nebraska WR
0 Kyle Wilson, Boise St. DB
1 Perrish Cox, Oklahoma St. DB

Kickoff returns
2 Ray Fisher, Indiana DB
4 C.J. Spiller, Clemson RB
1 Demond Washington, Auburn DB
2 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
0 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
4 Brandon Banks, Kansas St. WR
2 Titus Young, Boise St. WR
1 Derrick Locke, Kentucky RB
0 Jamaal Jackson, North Texas WR
1 Phillip Livas, Louisiana Tech WR
1 Chris Garrett, Ohio RB
3 Dwayne Harris, East Carolina WR
0 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
1 Leon Berry, Mississippi St. WR
1 Brandon James, Florida RB
1 Dashan Miller, Akron WR
1 Travis Cobb, Arizona WR
1 Freddie Parham, Southern Miss. WR
0 Reggie Rembert, Air Force DB
0 Jovonte Taylor, Hawaii WR
0 Trent Guy, Louisville WR
0 Shaky Smithson, Utah WR
0 Dion Morton, Colorado St. WR
0 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB

Bolded players appear on both lists (Total TD's from KO/PR)
Trindon Holliday, LSU RB 1 PR
Javier Arenas, Alabama DB 1 PR
Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR 2 PR
Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR 1 PR, 2 KO
Originally posted by Butter:
After digging a little deeper into the NCAA stats from this year

These are all in order of overall rank best to worst based on TD, Avg/game, total yds, etc.

TD Punt Returns
1 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB
1 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
2 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
2 Damian Williams, Southern California WR
1 Emmanuel Sanders, SMU WR
2 Antonio Brown, Central Mich. WR
3 LaVon Brazill, Ohio WR
2 Jordan Shipley, Texas WR
0 David Leonard, Wyoming WR
1 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
1 Robert McClain III, Connecticut DB
0 Jason Frierson, FIU WR
0 Price Miller, Georgia DB
2 Delano Green, Temple WR
0 Marcus Anderson, New Mexico St. WR
1 Niles Paul, Nebraska WR
0 Kyle Wilson, Boise St. DB
1 Perrish Cox, Oklahoma St. DB

Kickoff returns
2 Ray Fisher, Indiana DB
4 C.J. Spiller, Clemson RB
1 Demond Washington, Auburn DB
2 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
0 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
4 Brandon Banks, Kansas St. WR
2 Titus Young, Boise St. WR
1 Derrick Locke, Kentucky RB
0 Jamaal Jackson, North Texas WR
1 Phillip Livas, Louisiana Tech WR
1 Chris Garrett, Ohio RB
3 Dwayne Harris, East Carolina WR
0 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
1 Leon Berry, Mississippi St. WR
1 Brandon James, Florida RB
1 Dashan Miller, Akron WR
1 Travis Cobb, Arizona WR
1 Freddie Parham, Southern Miss. WR
0 Reggie Rembert, Air Force DB
0 Jovonte Taylor, Hawaii WR
0 Trent Guy, Louisville WR
0 Shaky Smithson, Utah WR
0 Dion Morton, Colorado St. WR
0 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB

Bolded players appear on both lists (Total TD's from KO/PR)
Trindon Holliday, LSU RB 1 PR
Javier Arenas, Alabama DB 1 PR
Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR 2 PR
Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR 1 PR, 2 KO

good job ive been pulling for gilyard as many scouts say that spiller is not good at punt returns which is also a need
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Butter:
After digging a little deeper into the NCAA stats from this year

These are all in order of overall rank best to worst based on TD, Avg/game, total yds, etc.

TD Punt Returns
1 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB
1 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
2 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
2 Damian Williams, Southern California WR
1 Emmanuel Sanders, SMU WR
2 Antonio Brown, Central Mich. WR
3 LaVon Brazill, Ohio WR
2 Jordan Shipley, Texas WR
0 David Leonard, Wyoming WR
1 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
1 Robert McClain III, Connecticut DB
0 Jason Frierson, FIU WR
0 Price Miller, Georgia DB
2 Delano Green, Temple WR
0 Marcus Anderson, New Mexico St. WR
1 Niles Paul, Nebraska WR
0 Kyle Wilson, Boise St. DB
1 Perrish Cox, Oklahoma St. DB

Kickoff returns
2 Ray Fisher, Indiana DB
4 C.J. Spiller, Clemson RB
1 Demond Washington, Auburn DB
2 Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR
0 Javier Arenas, Alabama DB
4 Brandon Banks, Kansas St. WR
2 Titus Young, Boise St. WR
1 Derrick Locke, Kentucky RB
0 Jamaal Jackson, North Texas WR
1 Phillip Livas, Louisiana Tech WR
1 Chris Garrett, Ohio RB
3 Dwayne Harris, East Carolina WR
0 Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR
1 Leon Berry, Mississippi St. WR
1 Brandon James, Florida RB
1 Dashan Miller, Akron WR
1 Travis Cobb, Arizona WR
1 Freddie Parham, Southern Miss. WR
0 Reggie Rembert, Air Force DB
0 Jovonte Taylor, Hawaii WR
0 Trent Guy, Louisville WR
0 Shaky Smithson, Utah WR
0 Dion Morton, Colorado St. WR
0 Trindon Holliday, LSU RB

Bolded players appear on both lists (Total TD's from KO/PR)
Trindon Holliday, LSU RB 1 PR
Javier Arenas, Alabama DB 1 PR
Jeremy Kerley, TCU WR 2 PR
Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati WR 1 PR, 2 KO

good job ive been pulling for gilyard as many scouts say that spiller is not good at punt returns which is also a need

Those stats are very, very misleading in that teams quit kicking and punting to Spiller midway through the season. Clemson had games where they basically started every possession at their 35-40 because nobody wanted to kick to Spiller. I was at Clemson for his last home game versus Virginia, and the crowd actually broke out into a chant with his name after we sacked the UVA QB on his own 5 yard line because the crowd knew they'd have no other choice but to punt it to him instead of angling one out of bounds. People quit kicking to him as much as they could, especially on punts they could angle out of bounds.

He's a great punt returner.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:


Those stats are very, very misleading in that teams quit kicking and punting to Spiller midway through the season. Clemson had games where they basically started every possession at their 35-40 because nobody wanted to kick to Spiller. I was at Clemson for his last home game versus Virginia, and the crowd actually broke out into a chant with his name after we sacked the UVA QB on his own 5 yard line because the crowd knew they'd have no other choice but to punt it to him instead of angling one out of bounds. People quit kicking to him as much as they could, especially on punts they could angle out of bounds.

He's a great punt returner.

I took the stats to show that Spiller is very good actually. He's #2 on the list of rankings for KO returns with 4 TD's in one season. I imagine if he can lead the nation in KO returns, he's likely pretty strong in regards to PR as well. I actually assumed that teams would not be kicking to him because of that. Good point though.

My real issue with Spiller is not his talent. I believe he could help this team as both a KR, and as a change of pace back. To me its simply a question of cost/value. On running plays, it doesn't matter how good Spiller is, if he's getting hit in the back field consistently, he's not going to have the opportunity to shine.

I think the Niner's have to use those picks to upgrade their Oline, and take one or two of these lower tier players. They'll should still be a major upgrade over Arnaz Battle.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:


Those stats are very, very misleading in that teams quit kicking and punting to Spiller midway through the season. Clemson had games where they basically started every possession at their 35-40 because nobody wanted to kick to Spiller. I was at Clemson for his last home game versus Virginia, and the crowd actually broke out into a chant with his name after we sacked the UVA QB on his own 5 yard line because the crowd knew they'd have no other choice but to punt it to him instead of angling one out of bounds. People quit kicking to him as much as they could, especially on punts they could angle out of bounds.

He's a great punt returner.

I took the stats to show that Spiller is very good actually. He's #2 on the list of rankings for KO returns with 4 TD's in one season. I imagine if he can lead the nation in KO returns, he's likely pretty strong in regards to PR as well. I actually assumed that teams would not be kicking to him because of that. Good point though.

My real issue with Spiller is not his talent. I believe he could help this team as both a KR, and as a change of pace back. To me its simply a question of cost/value. On running plays, it doesn't matter how good Spiller is, if he's getting hit in the back field consistently, he's not going to have the opportunity to shine.

I think the Niner's have to use those picks to upgrade their Oline, and take one or two of these lower tier players. They'll should still be a major upgrade over Arnaz Battle.

Yeah, I can see that logic. I was really responding to the guy who made the comment about Spiller not being a great punt returner. I see your point about OL, and yet I question whether or not we'll be in a position to take a playmaker like Spiller anytime soon again. I think if he's there for us, he will certainly be the BPA, and while we have other needs, he will definitely fill some different needs by himself. I do think we have to address our OL needs in a bad way, but I think if he's there at 13, you take him and get a quality RT at 16. You then have the rest of the draft to pull the best available OG after that (or CB/S/OLB).
TheBlueHell, I think you and I have a very similar thoughts on this issue.

I keep thinking about that play when the Arizona Cardinal went up the middle, crushed Alex Smith, and messed up his shoulder. Then I think about Suh pushing the pocket back for St. Louis. I hate the idea of using a 1st round pick on a OG, but it might be a good investment? I like the idea of a rookie OG competing with Baas for the starting position.

I would LOVE to get Spiller, if its realistic, as in they Niners can acquire a vet upgrade through FA, it'd be great.