Tony Pike, Qb, Cincinnati

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I posted this on another thread and thought I should pass this along. Scouting report from WalterFootball.com:

Quote:
Tony Pike, Cincinnati - Scouting Report
Height: 6-6. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.91.
Projected Round (2010): 3-4.
10/10/09: Through five games, Tony Pike has 1,493 yards, 13 touchdowns, three picks and an 8.6 YPA. Pike doesn't have an NFL arm, but he could be a Shaun Hill type. At the very worst, he'll be a very good backup.

Don't trust WaterFootball.

Why not?

Their rankings and analysis are mediocre at best

For example right now they have Jimmy Clausen rated has the best QB in the nation. I'm a ND fan and love Clausen but he isn't the best guy right now. They have Dez listed as the 3rd best WR. They are missing guys in their rankings who are top players, but aren't even listed.

It's a decent site but I wouldn't read to much into what they say.

Clausen is just the flavor of the week. The reason he is #1 ranked in their site is because he runs a pro style offense and is still showing some good numbers. Who in your opinion should be ranked #1 in the QB position?

Even though I don't love the kid Bradford is still #1. I watch a lot of Clausen and he still has a few things that need improvement. Not to mention Clausen will stay for his senior year, so he shouldn't be part of the 2010 debate. The one major knock Clausen will take is difficulty of schedule.

I don't know man. There really isn't a QB so far in the upcoming draft that jumps out at you.

I agree with that completely but Bradford is still the marque name. If both stay in school Locker and Clausen will be neck and neck heading into next year. Tebow will be sought after by a select few but somebody will make a move on him early. I think Pike will be just like Flacco, he will sneak into the first round and be drafted in the 22-32 range. McCoy is the one that has me scratching my head, I really like the kid...I just don't want another system guy a la Alex Smith. But I think McCoy is better then Smith and I think if he gets with the right team he will flourish! Also there is always somebody that comes out of left field and becomes a star at the combine, senior bowl, or QB challenge thingy.
I posted this on another thread and thought I should pass this along. Scouting report from WalterFootball.com:

Quote:
10/10/09: Through five games, Tony Pike has 1,493 yards, 13 touchdowns, three picks and an 8.6 YPA. Pike doesn't have an NFL arm, but he could be a Shaun Hill type. At the very worst, he'll be a very good backup.

Why not?

For example right now they have Jimmy Clausen rated has the best QB in the nation. I'm a ND fan and love Clausen but he isn't the best guy right now. They have Dez listed as the 3rd best WR. They are missing guys in their rankings who are top players, but aren't even listed.

Clausen is just the flavor of the week. The reason he is #1 ranked in their site is because he runs a pro style offense and is still showing some good numbers. Who in your opinion should be ranked #1 in the QB position?

Even though I don't love the kid Bradford is still #1. I watch a lot of Clausen and he still has a few things that need improvement. Not to mention Clausen will stay for his senior year, so he shouldn't be part of the 2010 debate. The one major knock Clausen will take is difficulty of schedule.

I don't know man. There really isn't a QB so far in the upcoming draft that jumps out at you.

I agree with that completely but Bradford is still the marque name. If both stay in school Locker and Clausen will be neck and neck heading into next year. Tebow will be sought after by a select few but somebody will make a move on him early. I think Pike will be just like Flacco, he will sneak into the first round and be drafted in the 22-32 range. McCoy is the one that has me scratching my head, I really like the kid...I just don't want another system guy a la Alex Smith. But I think McCoy is better then Smith and I think if he gets with the right team he will flourish! Also there is always somebody that comes out of left field and becomes a star at the combine, senior bowl, or QB challenge thingy.

As for Tony Pike and Colt McCoy, if they were selected by teams like the Colts, Patriots, Broncos, or Chiefs, they would succeed just because of the type of shotgun offense they run.

Quote:

Why not?

As for Tony Pike and Colt McCoy, if they were selected by teams like the Colts, Patriots, Broncos, or Chiefs, they would succeed just because of the type of shotgun offense they run.

As long as they go to a team with a good QB coach and an OC that can play to their strengths they will be fine.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Tony got hurt in their win against USF, which could be a blessing in disguise as he was really moving up the draft boards. He is still solidly a 2nd/3rd round prospect.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:05:01 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Tony got hurt in there win against USF, which could be a blessing in disguise as he was really moving up the draft boards. He is still solidly a 2nd/3rd round prospect.

I was surprised by how athletic he is. He is not wild cat athletic but he does not have two left feet either, for a 6-6 guy.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So does Cinicy not missing a beat without Pike in at QB hurt his draft stock?
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

It should definitely make scouts more wary of him.
Pike was probably my favorite QB prospect entering this season because he didn't get the attention of some of the other QBs from the bigger schools. However, the thing that worries me is that his backup has stepped in and played at the same level as Pike, if not better. Is it the system or does Cincinnati just have two stud QBs?
Originally posted by Riot:
Originally posted by Jcool:

It should definitely make scouts more wary of him.

Pike is a system QB there backup is playing as well or better than Pike.
Share 49ersWebzone