There are 168 users in the forums

Nate Davis's potential vs Drafting a QB next year

Nate Davis's potential vs Drafting a QB next year

• Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
This causes a real quandry. Develop Davis and hope he pans out while missing on the best QB class in at least 5 years, or take a QB that ends up being a waste because Davis develops? Honestly, having 2 good QBs is far better than none, a risk worth taking. You can always trade one if they both work out.

This is the way to go.
Originally posted by Riot:
This causes a real quandry. Develop Davis and hope he pans out while missing on the best QB class in at least 5 years, or take a QB that ends up being a waste because Davis develops? Honestly, having 2 good QBs is far better than none, a risk worth taking. You can always trade one if they both work out.

This is the way to go.

True but that can be as big of dilemma as any. We now have to proven QB's... who do we keep? You don't think the Chargers wish they had Brees instead of Rivers? You don't wish they would have used the Rivers 1st round pick on another player to help Brees and the team out?
It's simple.

If we're in a position to draft a stud QB - I see those 2 being Bradford and Snead in 2010. If we don't have to trade up to grab them then we need to select them. I don't care if Davis looked great...in preseason. He's not a proven commodity and if you feel a guy like Bradford or Snead can be a very good QB you take him. If suddenly you realize both guys are studs...worst case is we have a Rivers/Brees situation and we trade away one for a first rounder.

Nate Davis has looked good but you don't pass on a blue chip QB unless you have HUGE holes everywhere and considering we have 2 first round picks...absolutely you take a QB.

And I'm someone who still thinks Alex Smith can produce.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
If Davis is the real deal then we have our QB in Davis. We can then save our two first rounders for the best players hopefully a NT or two pass rushing LBs.

Ndamukong Suh - NT
Jerry Hughes - OLB
Originally posted by Gore_21:

This is the way to go.

True but that can be as big of dilemma as any. We now have to proven QB's... who do we keep? You don't think the Chargers wish they had Brees instead of Rivers? You don't wish they would have used the Rivers 1st round pick on another player to help Brees and the team out?

that is the truth

brees might be the best QB i have ever seen that DOES not have a once in a decade type player to help him out.

you give Brees a Jerry rice or T.O ......and lord knows what he could do.

the saints WRs would not start in a lot of places....

and what again did the saints give up for him?

you cant just ransom a qb prospect for a boat load of picks after you draft him and he looses out to your "starter" at qb.

I would rather the 49ers trade a pick or package of mid value picks for Brain Brohm....

Then late Davis and Brohm fight it out to become the starter.

use the top picks ot build around them.
brohm was released
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
If Davis is the real deal then we have our QB in Davis. We can then save our two first rounders for the best players hopefully a NT or two pass rushing LBs.

That is, of course, the best scenerio for the Niners.
Originally posted by genus49:
It's simple.

If we're in a position to draft a stud QB - I see those 2 being Bradford and Snead in 2010. If we don't have to trade up to grab them then we need to select them. I don't care if Davis looked great...in preseason. He's not a proven commodity and if you feel a guy like Bradford or Snead can be a very good QB you take him. If suddenly you realize both guys are studs...worst case is we have a Rivers/Brees situation and we trade away one for a first rounder.

Nate Davis has looked good but you don't pass on a blue chip QB unless you have HUGE holes everywhere and considering we have 2 first round picks...absolutely you take a QB.

And I'm someone who still thinks Alex Smith can produce.

Hopefully, all the quarterback questions get answered this year (one way or theother) so the Niners will have a clear idea what they need to do.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I don't think we will need to spend a top 10 pick on a QB next year. I'm looking at the all the NFL teams right now that need franchise QBs and this is my list:
St. Louis
SF
Denver
Washington

So that's 4 teams. If Bradford, Tebow, Snead, McCoy all come out, one of these guys will fall to the late 1st rd and maybe 2nd. Not to mention, there will be other QBs like Dan Levefour, Jimmy Clausen, and Zac Robinson would be available too.

Green Bay drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd rd even though they took Aaron Rodgers a year earlier.

We will be sitting pretty.

Rodgers was drafted in 2005, while Brohm was drafted in 2008...so 3 years earlier.

There are more than four teams that I could see taking a top of the line QB if the situation presented itself:

Minnesota- IF Favre is done this season, they may want to look at upgrading the QB position. Though servicable, neither Jackson or Rosenfels (sp) are franchise QBs.

Tennessee- Once Kerry Collins is done you have to wonder if Vince Young is capable of stepping up and being a franchise leader. Most recent performances indicate he isn't.

Carolina- Delhome is on the downside of his career. If he continues this downward slide I'd say he won't be seen as a franchise QB for long.

The Jaguars and Texans have QBs that have shown flashes of brilliance but you have to think that an awful season could leave them open to an upgrade.

If the 49ers want a good QB from next years class (Bradford) it's going to cost them a lot.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
When it comes to NFL potential, Bradford & Snead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else. You can't draft based on hope. The 49ers would be wise to consider a QB in the 1st round if the opportunity presents itself.

Davis has great potential but the Niners will most likely jettison Smith next offseason. They will definitely need to draft a QB in the first round IMO. Welcome to the Bay Area.............................................Colt McCoy!!!
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
You need to draft a QB at least in the 2nd round unless you can somehow swap both your 1st's for Phillip Rivers(Which I would do in a heartbeat) but there is no guarantee Davis will be good you can't hedge your bets on one player until they develop into a sure thing see Smith, Alex.
Can we revisit this poll at season's end or right before the draft? I think it's too early to answer it.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

This is the way to go.

that is the truth

brees might be the best QB i have ever seen that DOES not have a once in a decade type player to help him out.

you give Brees a Jerry rice or T.O ......and lord knows what he could do.

the saints WRs would not start in a lot of places....

and what again did the saints give up for him?

you cant just ransom a qb prospect for a boat load of picks after you draft him and he looses out to your "starter" at qb.

I would rather the 49ers trade a pick or package of mid value picks for Brain Brohm....

Then late Davis and Brohm fight it out to become the starter.

use the top picks ot build around them.

colston
Given that we need a pash rush, a WR (likely), and depth at OL and S and, more importantly, Davis' upside, I would be for improving our team by adding in other areas of need. Davis could be a bust, yes, but I'll take a 5th round bust at QB. He looked impressive at times in the preseason and there are a lot of "experts" out there who believe he will evolve into the best QB out of the 2009 draft. Candidly, I can't remember the last time the 49ers selected a guy in the 5th round that has received this much good press nationally. Unless we start out strong this year, the 49ers should definitely give him a shot to play at some point late in the season.
Share 49ersWebzone