There are 197 users in the forums

Thoughts on Jimmy Clausen

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
If there was a douche draft, he would go first.

What is he doing with his hand?

dude looks like a fricking guido.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
He's no Matt Barkley...

Matt Barkley has played how many games so far ? Yeah that's what I thought.

Homerism at it's best, Barkely has yet to step on a field. I remember Clausen being hailed as the "Lebron of football" when he was a junior in HS. He really shouldn't have started as a frosh on a talent deficient team. But he has shown progress, I wouldn't close the door on him just yet. But nowhere near as good as he was hyped to be.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
He's no Matt Barkley...

Matt Barkley has played how many games so far ? Yeah that's what I thought.

Homerism at it's best, Barkely has yet to step on a field. I remember Clausen being hailed as the "Lebron of football" when he was a junior in HS. He really shouldn't have started as a frosh on a talent deficient team. But he has shown progress, I wouldn't close the door on him just yet. But nowhere near as good as he was hyped to be.

As a ND fan I agree he has been nowhere near as good as advertised. THere is still time for him to grow so we shall see.

As for him starting as a freshman, that was the wrong move and it's not just the lack of talent that year at the skill positions. The OL was awful and he spent more time on his back than he did in the pocket which is never a good thing for a young QB trying to grow.

As for Matt Barkley, it will be interesting to see how he fares come week 2 vs Ohio State in Colombus.
  • evil
  • Veteran
15-18 315 yards passing 4 TD's vs Nevada
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
He has a really nice arm. I'm not used to seeing passes that crisp.....
He is going to need his 4th year although he did look good today.
There is a lot to like, but I don't see him as a top prospect. Too many other guys better.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
He is going to need his 4th year although he did look good today.

He reached out to Montana, Theismann and Pennington this offseason and hopefully they told him to be smart and stay in school. It would be wise for him to stick around for his senior year.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think Clausen is highly rated because he goes to Notre Dame. Other than that, he sucks.

I think that he doesn't put up the #s of others because of the offense he runs. If he ran a spread, he would light it up.

But he has everything you want in a #1 pick:

1. Runs a Pro-style offense
2. Strong arm
3. Tall
4. Mobile
5. quick learner

He also has the pedigree -- he's been groomed since age 13 to be an NFL QB.

Do you mean groomed like Todd Marinovich?
I agree that it is best to have cautious optimism regarding Clausen. The bottom line is that he was Matt Barkley 2 years ago and everyone was claiming him the next king of college football. He came into a team that was terrible (Charles Barkley golf swing terrible) and he struggled as a true freshman as a result. As the team improved last year he did as well and it really showed in the Bowl Game. Now Nevada is no elite talent, but the kid is showing some great leadership (worked on those skills in offseason, by picking the brains of some top notch QB's--Joe Montana was one) and could be very grown up by the end of the year.

Now I've gone on record as saying Snead is my guy for next year, but IF Clausen continues to produce with his very talented ND squad I think he will be an option for us next year. He's not only got the skills set but he's used to pressure of being QB at Notre Dame and he has learned from a great teacher in Charlie Weis.

Again I would say that we need to be careful with our excitement, but if another QB looks good and declares for next year that will be good for us. The more talent at QB means the more chances for us to grab a Franchise QB and not have to move up in the draft to accomplish it.

He has a chance to be a pretty good NFL player. But he needs more development.
He has performed out of this world his last two games and could certainly contend for the top option at QB.
i thought they only did their hair like that in jersey

What is he doing with his hand?

UNITY!

NO THANKS
Share 49ersWebzone