LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

A question about unsigned draft picks:

This is not another Crabtree thread. I'm just wondering about unsigned draft picks in general, and what happens to them and the teams who sign them. I'll use Crabtree as the example though.

If the 49ers don't get him signed and he sits out the first season, what does that mean? Do the 49ers have rights to him beyond that? Do the 49ers receive any type of compensation if they never get him signed, or is it a completely wasted pick?

On a less important issue related, wouldn't it speak poorly of an agent if he couldn't get a deal done with a top 10 pick? If Crabtree doesn't get a deal done, will it make future draftees not want to seek his agent's services?
I think that if they don't sign him and he sits out for the year he would go back into next years draft.
Originally posted by saj4423:
I think that if they don't sign him and he sits out for the year he would go back into next years draft.

If this happens, the player's stock would drop tremendously not having played football in well over a year. At least I would think so. And if I was a player, I wouldn't want to deal with an agent who failed to get a player signed his rookie year.
Is a shame that there's not stil a draft cap system, there is no way a rookie should have that kind of contract
Share 49ersWebzone