There are 192 users in the forums

Lott-esque Lader in college

What draft eligible player in college football poseses the type of mentality that led our team in the 80s, via Ronnie Lott? Ouside of our coach and Shaun Hill we don't have truelly great leaders on our team. Sure some guys are alright, but can we say that we have a Dawkins, Lewis, etc, on our defense? Do either Berry or Mays posses that type of personality
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What draft eligible player in college football poseses the type of mentality that led our team in the 80s, via Ronnie Lott? Ouside of our coach and Shaun Hill we don't have truelly great leaders on our team. Sure some guys are alright, but can we say that we have a Dawkins, Lewis, etc, on our defense? Do either Berry or Mays posses that type of personality

So because Willis doens't play Safety he can't be a leader for the defense?
Originally posted by backontop:

So because Willis doens't play Safety he can't be a leader for the defense?

If you noticed, I named Lewis (ie Ray Lewis) as a leader. I happen to think he's one of the greatest leaders in NFL history. Singletary, as a LB, was the same way. Willis doesn't have that quality. He's an amazing football player, but a natural leader of men he is not. I'm talking about a coach on the field, not the best player on it
  • Illusion
  • Info N/A

there is more than one way to be a leader. Or are you forgetting Bryant Young?
  • fan49
  • Veteran

wait.... shaun hill is a great leader. in the same sentence as sing. soo they must be on the same level. please! Joe montana was a truely great leader. hill wins a couple of easy games, and now he not only desereves the start, right, and he now has great leadership. he was 3rd string on every other team. come on hes not startin any where else. and yes i said easy wins experts say the same.

shaun hill is no great leader!
[ Edited by fan49 on Jul 18, 2009 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by fan49:

wait.... shaun hill is a great leader. in the same sentence as sing. soo they must be on the same level. please! Joe montana was a truely great leader. hill wins a couple of easy games, and now he not only desereves the start, right, and he now has great leadership. he was 3rd string on every other team. come on hes not startin any where else. and yes i said easy wins experts say the same.

You have "leader" confused with "player." You think Hill is not a great player, but he is indeed a great leader. Montana was a great player. Good leader, but truly great? I'd have to disagree.
shaun hill is no great leader!
Shaun Hill is a great leader already? What did i miss?
Originally posted by tohara3:

He took us to back to back to back super bowls and the first ever perfect season. Where u been?
Originally posted by Illusion:

B.Y., Willis, Julian Peterson, Tim McDonald, Ken Norton, Merton Hanks... all of these guys were good leaders, and thats just defense. Just because theyre not loud mouths like Dawkins and Lewis doesnt mean theyre not leaders, Patrick Willis is just as much a leader as ray lewis, he commands our Defense and everyone respects him. he's a leader in the mold of Bryant Young.
what is this lader you speak of?

Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by tohara3:

He took us to back to back to back super bowls and the first ever perfect season. Where u been?

Leadership is a quality seperate of football skill. Example: Mark Roman is a better leader than Willis. Roman understands the offense, sees the bigger picture of the defense, and relays this information to the other 10 guys on the field. Willis is tough, strong, fast, quick to read and react, a hard hitter, fantastic tackler, works hard, and perfects his technique. But he's not a Lott type of leader. He's not the guy that leads those around him on the field. Hill does that. REGARDLESS OF HIS LACK OF SUCCESS
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

B.Y., Willis, Julian Peterson, Tim McDonald, Ken Norton, Merton Hanks... all of these guys were good leaders, and thats just defense. Just because theyre not loud mouths like Dawkins and Lewis doesnt mean theyre not leaders, Patrick Willis is just as much a leader as ray lewis, he commands our Defense and everyone respects him. he's a leader in the mold of Bryant Young.

a) most of these guys are no longer on the team, so why use them as examples?
B) can you explain how Willis, a guy who couldn't handle wearing the green dot, leads this team as well as Rey Lewis, one of the greatest leaders in NFL history, who actually calls many of the defensive plays, and is listened to by every D-coordinator that walks Baltimore?

B) can you explain how Willis, a guy who couldn't handle wearing the green dot, leads this team as well as Rey Lewis, one of the greatest leaders in NFL history, who actually calls many of the defensive plays, and is listened to by every D-coordinator that walks Baltimore?

well u listed lewis and dawkins and none of them are on our team either. u also list shaun hill. come on now.

how is willis a leader? are u serious? willis is the heart and soul of our defense and you dont think he is considered a leader? was B.Y. not a leader? just because he wasnt a loudmouth a*****e like lewis?

well u listed lewis and dawkins and none of them are on our team either. u also list shaun hill. come on now.

how is willis a leader? are u serious? willis is the heart and soul of our defense and you dont think he is considered a leader? was B.Y. not a leader? just because he wasnt a loudmouth a*****e like lewis?

So to the first comment. I said that our team lacks leaders like Dawkins or Lewis, in response you listed guys who were no longer n the team ( Willis being the exception). So my point is that we currently lack leadership. Not At all implying that historically our team did not have leaders.

As for your second point, I'm still not seeing your argument. "Wills s the heart and soap of this team" is a generalization without any backing to it. Is he thebest player on this team? Of course! And it's not even close. However, I still have not heard any argument from you about what type of leadership qualities he exhibits. My argument against him as a leader is that he couldn't call plays in the huddle, couldn't wear the mic, does not change plays, and usually leaves it to Clements or Roman to manage the 11 guys on the field. My arguments for Lewis are endless. Let's start with 1. He, not the DC has most of the say over the chosen play on every snap

So to the first comment. I said that our team lacks leaders like Dawkins or Lewis, in response you listed guys who were no longer n the team ( Willis being the exception). So my point is that we currently lack leadership. Not At all implying that historically our team did not have leaders.

As for your second point, I'm still not seeing your argument. "Wills s the heart and soap of this team" is a generalization without any backing to it. Is he thebest player on this team? Of course! And it's not even close. However, I still have not heard any argument from you about what type of leadership qualities he exhibits. My argument against him as a leader is that he couldn't call plays in the huddle, couldn't wear the mic, does not change plays, and usually leaves it to Clements or Roman to manage the 11 guys on the field. My arguments for Lewis are endless. Let's start with 1. He, not the DC has most of the say over the chosen play on every snap

willis gives speeches before the game, half time, he motivates them dude. he leads by example, just because he doesnt change plays doesnt mean hes not a leader. how many times have u seen Shaun Hill audible since hes such a great leader? the players do what they are aloud to do. Lewis has the freedom to do as he pleases because the ravens are stacked everywhere on defense and can make up for any falws in game planning, we dont have as much proven talent yet so we dont have the liberty to change plays, especially under a coach like nolan who wanted everything his way. do u think nolan would give a player authority to change plays? he was the most stubborn coach ive seen for a long time
Share 49ersWebzone