a few thoughts of mine since I'm doing nothing today...
- I can see SF looking early for a rush LB, as I don't expect our interior DL to help the outside rush enough. This will leave the rush LBs looking rather average, and leave the F/O unconvinced of their worth.
- I don't think you give Baas enough credit, but still, I don't know that McC will change his stance on paying good money for OGs. So guards may be looked at on the second day of the draft.
- I have more faith in Vernon Davis than you, it seems. From early reports, he is looking more lean and agile, and is working hard. He will likely never justify his draft spot, but I think he will have a decent year and improve on his flaws.
- I also am not expecting real urgency on the WR/QB positions.
- I never really viewed Balmer as having good NT potential, and would love to be wrong about that. He is not terribly stout or efficient with leverage, and I see great struggle for him to hold the POA. He should make a pretty good DE for our scheme though. Franklin impressed with a few plays per game down the stretch, but still sucks more than most want to realize. According to Barrows, SF has been wanting an upgrade over him for a while now, and rightfully so. (link and quote below) Sopoaga would be my only real hope for any current NTs we have, and that's only due to SF going with more of a 1-gap approach.
- I agree with your assessment on FS and even RT.
- I'm a little surprised that you omitted CB as a need. Seems like we should have our starters in Clements and Brown... possibly Bly or Spencer for a lil longer, but no guarantees there by a long shot. I think CB will be looked at in the first 3-4 rounds.
The team has signalled in the past that it would like to replace Franklin as the starter. With that in mind, the 49ers will give a long looks to Balmer and Sopoaga - both of whom are more physical - at nose tackle this summer.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Jul 13, 2009 at 8:38 AM ]