There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crabtree, WR depth, and the what ifs!

Originally posted by pdxredandgold:
Originally posted by walther88:
Why is it that everybody keeps saying we finally have "depth" at the WR position?! Plz tell me where, wat we have is wat I call "promising" depth cuz noone has ever done anything. Jason hill is promising! Old man bruce isn't getting better morgan for those who forget had a dozen passes go rite threw his hands being afraid of contact(props for great catches he did have) jones is a overpaid nobody and injured prone, and we still haven't seen crabtree play! Again promising depth! not to be confused with "great" depth I believe in crabs and jason hill but other than that I'm worried if VD is gonna be the TE we all hope he is. Love wat MS is doing. But unless our OL cums up and plays like the potential it has then I believe will make the playoffs if nt then will be 6-10 at best. I love the niners but I'm a realist

how about the greatest depth the 49ers have had in many many years. that ok?

i have to agree here. i just hope all the depth turns into = playmakers = wins!
Originally posted by walther88:
Why is it that everybody keeps saying we finally have "depth" at the WR position?! Plz tell me where, wat we have is wat I call "promising" depth cuz noone has ever done anything. Jason hill is promising! Old man bruce isn't getting better morgan for those who forget had a dozen passes go rite threw his hands being afraid of contact(props for great catches he did have) jones is a overpaid nobody and injured prone, and we still haven't seen crabtree play! Again promising depth! not to be confused with "great" depth I believe in crabs and jason hill but other than that I'm worried if VD is gonna be the TE we all hope he is. Love wat MS is doing. But unless our OL cums up and plays like the potential it has then I believe will make the playoffs if nt then will be 6-10 at best. I love the niners but I'm a realist

OK, let's call it real good depth. After all, a baller like Arnez Battle is going to have trouble finding a spot. Morgan, Bruce, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Zeigler, Battle - they've got a lot of speed and size. It's not just optimistic fans like myself who believe this. ESPN calls receiver depth one of the team's strengths going into the season.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
All I know is we got the right guy at 10.

No better Value pick available at that spot than Crabtree. He was the #2 Overall rated player in the draft!!
Originally posted by robduce42:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
All I know is we got the right guy at 10.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 27,064
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
i heard the niners were looking at maybin with our pick. looks like he's gonna be a sam backer too and most likely de on the nickel! maybins a bit smaller then orakpo but has some long arms!

Quote:
According to Profootballtalk.com, first-round pick Aaron Maybin's performance at Bills OTAs is being talked about as "brutal."
Maybin is a redshirt sophomore coming out and transitioning from a weak-side end at Penn State to the left side, but this would still seem like a time he'd excel. Maybin is highly athletic and the workouts are non-contact and performed in shorts. It's still probably too early for any real concern.

Where'd you here he was gonna be a SAM ?
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Draft Day- As it came closer and closer to the 10th pick i was pretty hyped about us picking up M. Crabtree, and i'm really pleased that we picked up a future playmaker for the 49ers.

Lately- I was thinking. What if with the 10th pick we had locked up Orakpo which went 11th. The talks of not having another dominant pass rusher would be sealed............................

What if, what if, what if, what if!

At least let Crab and Orakpo play a year or two as professionals before you come up with draft comparisons.

But what if... didn't happen ! Anything thread based on a what if I due to get hijacked.



[ Edited by global_nomad on Jun 17, 2009 at 18:31:15 ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 27,064
Originally posted by kronik:
I just don't think Orakpo can play linebacker. He's very stiff and has problems changing directions (as seen at the NFL combine). It was wise to pass on Orakpo. I would have takened Maybin ahead of Orakpo anyday, but not ahead of Crabtree.

This is good for Orakpo though, I think he'll be good at 4-3 DE.

Like I said seemingly Orakpo will start out as a SAM. He spent his time in OTA's there and will likely continue there through TC. He'll line up as a DE in nickel situations. Had we drafted him he would have had more time possibly to adjust as a 3-4 OLB as he could simply play in rotation with Lawson and line up as a DE in nickel situations.
Originally posted by robduce42:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
All I know is we got the right guy at 10.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,949
Draft war room maybe?
For the last 4 years the board has been whining about having no true #1 (why didn't we trade for Javon Walker) etc. We could have had DeSean Jackson instead of Balmer blah blah blah.

Well, we took the best player on the board and possibly (probably) the best player in the draft.

If Morgan and Crabtree battle for #1, that's a good thing. I'll take 1A (Rice) 1B (Taylor) anyday of the week, and twice on Sunday (pun intended).

Clark and Solomon
Rice and Taylor
Owens and Stokes
Morgan and Crabs / Crabtain Morgan with Hill as #3

I wanted Orakpo if no one else was there. Tyson Jackson, no way. Let's see what we have with Balmer (who apparently is coming along). With Crabs there it was a no brainer.

Lock this puppy
interesting points! love the input! i'm really hoping crabtree will take each catch to the house!
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
interesting points! love the input! i'm really hoping crabtree will take each catch to the house!

Me too!

I gotta say that for a relative noob (I don't get caught up noobs versus veterans and all that) you didn't get all defensive when people were pretty blunt. Well Alan, welcome to the Zone (I know you've been here a while).

Just remember the images on the side of the road (the haters) are figments of your imagination. Like Timothy Leary's Psychadelic Experience.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
interesting points! love the input! i'm really hoping crabtree will take each catch to the house!

Me too!

I gotta say that for a relative noob (I don't get caught up noobs versus veterans and all that) you didn't get all defensive when people were pretty blunt. Well Alan, welcome to the Zone (I know you've been here a while).

Just remember the images on the side of the road (the haters) are figments of your imagination. Like Timothy Leary's Psychadelic Experience.

thanks for the encouragement brother!
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
interesting points! love the input! i'm really hoping crabtree will take each catch to the house!

Me too!

I gotta say that for a relative noob (I don't get caught up noobs versus veterans and all that) you didn't get all defensive when people were pretty blunt. Well Alan, welcome to the Zone (I know you've been here a while).

Just remember the images on the side of the road (the haters) are figments of your imagination. Like Timothy Leary's Psychadelic Experience.

thanks for the encouragement brother!

ywv
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,325
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Draft Day- As it came closer and closer to the 10th pick i was pretty hyped about us picking up M. Crabtree, and i'm really pleased that we picked up a future playmaker for the 49ers.

Lately- I was thinking. What if with the 10th pick we had locked up Orakpo which went 11th. The talks of not having another dominant pass rusher would be sealed. I personally feel he will be the Defensive rookie of the year especially with Albert Haynesworth in the middle ( I also say that cause CURRY is on the Seahawks! gotta hate the Seahawks.)

Anyways with all that's said, I'm happy with Crabtree and the depth or maybe even the over depth we have at Wide out. but can anyone agree with me if we had picked up Orakpo?

I tried the english translation page, even that didn't work