LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

any opinions on a couple 2010 qb prospects

tim hiller of western michigan and tony pike of cincinnati---anyone know the poop on either of these 2 prospects
Tim Hiller

Position: QB
College: Western Michigan
Current Projection: 2nd-3rd Round
Height: 6-5
Weight: 228
40 Time: 4.94

Tony Pike

Position: QB
College: Cincinnati
Current Projection: 5th-6th Round
Height: 6-6
Weight: 225
40 Time: 4.81

give me a minute and ill get there stats.
Pike's Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2007 11 20 91 55.0 4.55 15 1 3 0 79.72
2008 199 324 2407 61.4 7.43 67 19 11 18 136.39

Hiller's Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT
2005 98 150 1334 65.3 8.89 89 20 3 12 180.03
2007 267 421 3021 63.4 7.18 77 20 15 23 132.25
2008 339 522 3725 64.9 7.14 56 36 10 14 143.81
  • cgida
  • Veteran
How do these guys stack up against Nate?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
So I was breaking down the tape...........

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
So I was breaking down the tape...........

Lol

IMO from the highlight videos on youtube Sam Bradford can really throw the ball. He has accuracy and poise in the pocket too which will be key for his NFL career

Here's my choice of next year's QB class: Jevan Snead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ym0IjxULlQ

Aside from the fact that he probably possesses the strongest arm of the top tier QB's and is just as accurate as either McCoy or Bradford, the most important attribute displayed in this clip is that he is working out of pro-style offense (or at least the closest thing you will find to one outside of USC in college football) and demonstrated significant success in his first year as a started in the SEC no less.

I just hope he is still on the board when we pick in the 1st, seeing as pro-scouts tend to go ga-ga over those types of attributes.

[ Edited by abowers1984 on May 30, 2009 at 04:05:59 ]
Right now NFL Draft Scout has Hiller going in round 3 -4 and Pike going in round 5- 6. Obviously, it's early still.
Originally posted by abowers1984:

Aside from the fact that he probably possesses the strongest arm of the top tier QB's and is just as accurate as either McCoy or Bradford, the most important attribute displayed in this clip is that he is working out of pro-style offense (or at least the closest thing you will find to one outside of USC in college football) and demonstrated significant success in his first year as a started in the SEC no less.

I just hope he is still on the board when we pick in the 1st, seeing as pro-scouts tend to go ga-ga over those types of attributes.

Snead is a great QB, or at least he is close to becoming one, but he doesn't play in a pro style offense, not even close.
Ole Miss uses the wildcat more than anyone and spends a lot of time in the shotgun with multiple wideouts.

I would love him on the niners, but I would rather have Alex reach his potential.
If Marshawn Gilyard can light it up for Pike, Tony could hop over Hiller and be selected before him.

Hiller doesn't have the weapons that Cincinnati does, and doesn't play as high of a level of competition as Pike does. It's too early to be making any real projections on these guys, but looking at what they have around them, and having watched both play.. Barring any huge improvements, neither should be rated higher than 3rd rounders. Both have 4th-5th round talent. To be honest, I think Pike is better than Hiller. Hiller chokes under pressure. I recall watching him throw back to back interceptions (there was a penalty on the first) in a 4th-quarter comeback attempt against Ball State, early in the drive, too. Not what you want to see.

Guys asking how Nate compares: Nate was better than them both. Nate has 2nd round talent, all this junk about his disability was overblown, and it was evident by what he was able to consistently do on the field through his entire Ball State career as a starter.

tony pike is very impressive vs rutgers...he is built similar to carson palmer, 6-6, and shows some touch in addition to strong arm....and he has moved around the pocket some today

snead didnt set the house afire vs memphis st, but you can see he has the tools to be a very good pro qb

right now i think snead and pike show more pro game skills than bradford and tebow
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If Marshawn Gilyard can light it up for Pike, Tony could hop over Hiller and be selected before him.

Hiller doesn't have the weapons that Cincinnati does, and doesn't play as high of a level of competition as Pike does. It's too early to be making any real projections on these guys, but looking at what they have around them, and having watched both play.. Barring any huge improvements, neither should be rated higher than 3rd rounders. Both have 4th-5th round talent. To be honest, I think Pike is better than Hiller. Hiller chokes under pressure. I recall watching him throw back to back interceptions (there was a penalty on the first) in a 4th-quarter comeback attempt against Ball State, early in the drive, too. Not what you want to see.

Guys asking how Nate compares: Nate was better than them both. Nate has 2nd round talent, all this junk about his disability was overblown, and it was evident by what he was able to consistently do on the field through his entire Ball State career as a starter.

Nate, god love him, has a learning disability... And he throws the ball with GLOVES ON and he DOESN'T USE THE LACES.

I mean what the hell is that!?

I'd like to see him get some playing time and turn into a great QB. Madden would come out of retirement just to talk about how f'n weird this is.
woops.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 8, 2009 at 15:51:50 ]
Originally posted by abowers1984:

I don't get the Snead hype. They say he has a strong arm and an NFL throwing motion. But when I look at him it looks like above average arm strength but not as amazing as people are making out to be. His throwing motion looks weird to me, and he releases it pretty low. And his footwork looks sluggish, some of his throws he is making from his backfoot... And on that YouTube highlight, the 2nd highlight is a retarded play he got lucky on.

I'm not a fan of Snead. On the other hand I really like Tony Pike.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 8, 2009 at 15:55:28 ]
I think this QB class is pretty weak. I think by the time the draft rolls around we'll be better served getting a QB in the later rounds.

Sam Bradford - Sam benefits from playing out of the shotgun and had a great offensive line. If you look at last year...all you have to do is get pressure on the kid and his accuracy isn't the same(pressure busts a pipe).

Colt Mccoy - Has great touch on his passes, can keep plays alive with his feet and he's a team leader....but he looks short to me...probably 6'0 maybe even 5'11. Don't be surprised when the combine rolls around.

Jevan Sneed - Big strong arm, runs a pro-style offense and can keep plays alive with his feet....but I questions his decision making. I think out of these 3 he looks the most ready for the NFL....but I don't think he's a garunteed franchise QB.

I can't even mention Tim Tebow....Great college QB...but I don't thin his skill set will translate to success in the NFL.

There are probably some other QB's that will emerge and will probably be better pro-prospects IMO.

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Sep 8, 2009 at 19:35:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone