LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 383 users in the forums

if calvin johnson and crabs were in the same draft ...

• TX9R
  • Veteran
CJ was probably the best WR prospect to ever come out in the draft period. I was a skeptic due to his size, but he has actual game speed to match.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Randy Moss coming out of college > Calvin Johnson coming out of college.

Why does everyone always forget about Moss? He's a freak of nature then and a freak of nature now

Thats because Calvin was and is a bigger freak than Moss. There has never been a WR prospect that is 6-5 240 with 4.35 speed and that is at the combine if he would have done it timed like moss did it before he came into the league he would have likely been under 4.3.

Judging by your name, I doubt you were old enough to remember what Moss did in college and how much hype he had coming into the league. Randy Moss would have been taken over Calvin Johnson.

Hype doesn't have nothing to do with were they are drafted. Scouts are doing their jobs and are not watching ESPN to see who to draft. Megatron would still have been taken over moss because they are both freaks but megatron can do everything moss can and the only real advantage i see is randy moss hands over megatron but then megatron does go over the middle not like moss. Plus one doesn't have character issues.

Outside of Michael Vick i don't think there has been another prospect like megatron at his size and athleticism. 6-5 240 and runs in the low 4.3's and not just straight line speed like VD but also agile and im not saying moss wasn't a freak but i just think megatron is a bigger freak.

Fair enough.
The question is which WR would go highest in the draft. CJ would go higher than Moss, period - Moss fell to the teens for a reason (character issues).

The three best WR prospects I've ever seen in college were CJ, Moss, and Charles Rogers. But the proof is in the pudding - Moss fell in the draft because of his character issues. If we're talking pure physical skill, then it's a closer question. But a player's draft position results from skill and the mental stuff, which Moss was lacking.

I love Crab, but he's not on CJ's level as a prospect. 6'5, 240, and legitimate 4.3 speed with a 42 or 43 inch vertical. The man is a freak of nature.
I laughz "calvin's johnson and crabs were in the same "
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Why does everyone always forget about Moss? He's a freak of nature then and a freak of nature now

Thats because Calvin was and is a bigger freak than Moss. There has never been a WR prospect that is 6-5 240 with 4.35 speed and that is at the combine if he would have done it timed like moss did it before he came into the league he would have likely been under 4.3.
this.

if Moss was that impressive coming out of Marshall, why'd he drop to #21 overall in the first round?

Judging by your name, I doubt you were old enough to remember what Moss did in college and how much hype he had coming into the league. Randy Moss would have been taken over Calvin Johnson.

there is NO WAY.....

ZERO way Moss would have been taken over Johnson....

There is a reason Moss slide down the draft board like he did and

there is a REASON

Why Johnson Was Drafted as high as he was.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dshearn:

there is NO WAY.....

ZERO way Moss would have been taken over Johnson....

There is a reason Moss slide down the draft board like he did and

there is a REASON

Why Johnson Was Drafted as high as he was.

I have to agree, Johnson has the size (6'5" 230 pounds) and speed (4.3 40) with no off filed issues. Than you have Randy Moss, 6'4" 210 receiver who was kicked off the Florida St. team. No doubt Moss's off field issues would've dropped him in the draft.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by crzy:
Andre Johnson > Calvin Johnson

Why do you say that? I love Andre Johnson, but Calvin Johnson had almost 1350 yards in his second year with some chump QB throwing to him. He also had 4 TDs more than Andre Johnson who had 250 more yards.

I think by year 4-5 - Calvin Johnson will put up some absurd numbers.

I'd take Andre for now but give Megatron another year and he will be the best their is.

You could say that, but my point was, CJ is just as good as Andre Johnson right now. Look who was throwing to CJ and who was throwing to Andre. Andre had more yards, but CJ had 4 more TDs. I think that puts CJ on par with Andre.
Johnson would be taken over Crabtree, no question. This year's draft was considered by and large pretty weak and Crabtree fell to 10. I know that has a lot to do with team needs, but if Crabtree was a no brainer he wouldn't have fallen that far, in my opinion. Conversely, Johnson was the consensus best player in his draft and should have gone No. 1 but for the fact that the Raiders only draft WRs who can't catch but can run really fast.

Crabtree can still be a great WR, but Johnson is a beast and will be one of the top 5 wideouts in this league for the next decade.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Johnson would be taken over Crabtree, no question. This year's draft was considered by and large pretty weak and Crabtree fell to 10. I know that has a lot to do with team needs, but if Crabtree was a no brainer he wouldn't have fallen that far, in my opinion. Conversely, Johnson was the consensus best player in his draft and should have gone No. 1 but for the fact that the Raiders only draft WRs who can't catch but can run really fast.

Crabtree can still be a great WR, but Johnson is a beast and will be one of the top 5 wideouts in this league for the next decade.

ya agreed all he needs is a QB and an offensive line
Originally posted by dhp318:
Calvin Johnson would've been picked over any other receiver, past, present, and future.

Ummm. If Jerry Rice and Calvin were in the same Draft you bet your ass Jerry would be first. calvin second any other wr and your right. The GOAT IS THE s**t AND NOBODY"S GOING BEFORE HIM!

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Calvin Johnson would've been picked over any other receiver, past, present, and future.

Ummm. If Jerry Rice and Calvin were in the same Draft you bet your ass Jerry would be first. calvin second any other wr and your right. The GOAT IS THE s**t AND NOBODY"S GOING BEFORE HIM!

You do realize that Rice wasn't the first WR taken in '85 draft? Rice went 16th in the draft...

Rice was the third WR taken.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yes and T.O. was a 3rd rounder what's your point. I said goat he wasn't called the goat in college

And he said he would have been picked over any other receiver, and i think jerry rice would be the first wr off the board then calvin then moss.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Jul 1, 2009 at 12:06 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Yes and T.O. was a 3rd rounder what's your point. I said goat he wasn't called the goat in college

Uhh, yeah and we are talking about draft - which is concluded after the player leaves college. I think you are missing the point here.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Uhh, yeah and we are talking about draft - which is concluded after the player leaves college. I think you are missing the point here.

He didn't say that they would be going in order of how they were drafted.
Share 49ersWebzone