There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

i'm in man. i like him. much bettr than bradford. i do like tebow allot though. i just don't see him being an nfl qb. i still think we should draft tebow though. the guy is a warrior. wildcat!
don't read too much into one thing he said or anything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpKH7a2PFEE&feature=related
Originally posted by 9rFan84:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVELEDPq5MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Lo-6Z2aG4

I would rather have the other McCoy pictured.
COLT MCCOY HE IS AWESOME!!!
Id feel much more comfortable with him if he played out of a pro-style offense like my man Marky-Mark Sanchez... That couple with his mediocre arm-strength is enough for me to go with either Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, or Ndamukong Suh with our first pick and Jevan Snead with our 2nd 1st rounder or 2nd rounder depending on how he performs this year and whether or not he declares for next years draft.

Grabbing him in the late 1st or 2nd round would be perfect from a salary cap standpoint and amount of pressure that will fall on his shoulders... Additionally, there would be much less pressure on us to force him into the starting position prematurely... One full year learning from the sidelines should be just right for this kid.
I cant believe that people would even consider spending another 1st or 2nd rounder on another Urban Meyer coached QB... If we did draft him, we would absolutely look like one of the most moronic franchises of all time for getting duped not once, into thinking that a QB from Meyer's version of the triple-option can succeed in the NFL.

Not only that, but the 2nd version doesnt throw half as well as the first... And the first is pretty crappy.
Originally posted by wailers15:
i'm in man. i like him. much bettr than bradford. i do like tebow allot though. i just don't see him being an nfl qb. i still think we should draft tebow though. the guy is a warrior. wildcat!

I like both of them better than Bradford. Bradford lost to McCoy and Tebow I believe they are better under pressure than Bradford who tends to fold.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
McCoy just came out stating he loved watching Steve Young play!!!

McCoy should be a 49er next April for sure!!

is that all it takes to convince you we need to draft the guy?

Not really haven't you watched him play? That tells me more than anything is a plus him liking Young as a kid.

Or Bradford.
After watching McCoy outplay Bradford in last year's Battle of Red River, I became a believer he'd be a good NFL QB. He reminds me of a bigger Jeff Garcia...not the biggest arm in the world, but a terrific leader and game manager. However, the guy I really like above those two is Jevan Sneed of Ole Miss. He's got it all...arm, leadership, and he plays in the SEC. When's the last time a 'Horn or Sooner QB had any real success in the NFL?
I really like McCoy's leadership and game management...Bradford has very impressive stats. However, I think Jevan Snead has an even bigger upside. His completion pct. was 56.3 last season...but he had 26 TD's and 13 picks (4 of those in a bad game vs Vandy) as a sophomore in the SEC. His numbers should improve as he gains experience. What I like about him is his presence, arm, and leadership abilities. He throws a nice, catchable deep ball and can make all the short and intermediate passes. I predict when drafted, he'll be more NFL-ready than either McCoy or Bradford.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Id feel much more comfortable with him if he played out of a pro-style offense like my man Marky-Mark Sanchez... That couple with his mediocre arm-strength is enough for me to go with either Eric Berry, Taylor Mays, or Ndamukong Suh with our first pick and Jevan Snead with our 2nd 1st rounder or 2nd rounder depending on how he performs this year and whether or not he declares for next years draft.

Grabbing him in the late 1st or 2nd round would be perfect from a salary cap standpoint and amount of pressure that will fall on his shoulders... Additionally, there would be much less pressure on us to force him into the starting position prematurely... One full year learning from the sidelines should be just right for this kid.

I could live with a draft that was Mays and Snead. Two birds killed in one round.

He loved Aikman and Young, he said he loved watching both play.....his UT profile reflects his sports hero as Aikman.
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by nannite:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/4/24/851741/a-statistical-look-at-drafting-qbs
This is a rather dense look at what college statistics can be used to predict which QBs succeed in the NFL. David Lewen at Football Outsiders looked at all the QBs in the last decade or so and found some interesting corollaries regarding college stats and NFL success.

Basically 37 games started and 60% completion rate is the bench-mark for a successful NFL career. However this only holds for 1st and 2nd rounders. If you are drafted in the first two rounds, and had over 37 games started and a completion rate of over 60%, chances are you will be successful in the NFL. QBs drafted in the first two rounds who started less than 37 games are almost never successful. (There is a great graph on the above link)

(If you disagree with those numbers or don’t understand the math, you can take it up with the people on the site, I am bringing them up to enlighten the 2010 QB debate.)

The quarterbacks that are each in the top-5 for Scout, Bleacher Report, NFL Draft Scout (CBS sports) and Mel Kiper are Bradford, McCoy and Dan LeFevour. Jevan Snead and Tim Tebow made 3 of the 4 top-5s, Zac Robinson made 2, and Jimmy Clausen and Tony Pike each made 1:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/4/24/851741/a-statistical-look-at-drafting-qbs

Looking at the stats for those players and comparing them against the benchmark of 37 games started and 60% completion, the initial conclusion is this: This is going to be the best QB draft in the last decade…by far.

Based on the metrics given in the first link, McCoy is looking to be the best QB prospect in the last decade. If Bradford stays in school his senior year, he would be a close second; although even when he does come out next year, he is an amazing prospect. Even LeFevour looks like one of the top 5 QBs of the past decade (maybe the second best after McCoy). I’m sure most of you will vehemently disagree with that last statement, but the stats are the stats and the corollary between those stats and success is pretty damn impressive.

As for the other players listed above, Zac Robinson and Tim Tebow could be successful QBs, but only if they are deemed good enough to be drafted in the first two rounds (that is weird, but makes sense if you think about it). Jevan Snead is shaping up to be the worst prospect and the others are somewhere in the middle, which means they probably won’t be successful.

And as we've seen - basing decisions only on success at the collegiate level is a flawed scouting method which brought us Alex Smith.

If you would have read the original article you would have seen that it predicted that Alex Smith would be a crappy NFL QB.

First off, I'm not a longhorns fan. But in McCoy I see a guy who came in as a freshman, beat out another highly talented freshman and then went on to have an amazing college career, including having a 75% completion rate last season. Numbers like touchdowns, completions and yards can be inflated by the offense (see Bradford and the previous QBs at Oklahoma for an example of that) but the difference between 60% and 75% completion can't be explained away by the system, that is pure accuracy.

Also if Rhett Bomar wouldn't have been such a screw-up, no one would know who Bradford is.