Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I'd take McCoy over Bradford, but I think both have their issues. Bradford strikes me as the type who relies a little too much on being the best player on the field and having the most talent around him.

That will be different this year and will be VERY different at the next level. I'm not sure he has the ability to succeed when he doesn't have the advantage of everyone around him being less talented than he or his teammates.

Colt is the opposite, he's less talented physically, but in terms of leadership and mental aptitude, I see him being much more prepared for the NFL. But I'm not sure he has the physical tools as other pro QBs. But that can be developed more than the mental side of the game.

However, I'm also in the camp the in spite of what some critics think, Tebow may be the best of the bunch. The kid is just a gamer and it has nothing to do with gimmick offenses or trick plays. He can't be stopped. And you can't tell me that guys like Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton, and Chad Pennington (just to name a few) have arms SO much better than his that they can hold down starting jobs in the NFL and yet someone with his skills has no shot.

Interesting view on Bradford. The funny thing is look how Bradford's big weapons did in the draft. Inglesias and Johnson both went late. Bradford does have Gresham to throw to but that's about it as big time names go. Also take a look at the line, Loadholt and Duke went later than expected. Both had flaws and weren't exactly great. Cooper went undrafted I believe. Trent Williams was and probably is their best lineman. I just don't think his talent was that unbelievable around him like everyone assumed.

A lot of people slipped in this draft. I look at it like this: He lost more than half of his line and two WRs to the NFL. That's a lot to lose in one off season. Also, where they were drafted has no bearing on how good they may actually be, they could all turn out to be studs, who knows? What he does have going for him is I don't see defenses getting any better in the Big12. Maybe Texas, but they lost most of their Dline. Also, no one is considering Bradford may stay at OU. It sounds ridiculous, but so did staying this year. He's from Oklahoma and is living his dream. He could easily pull a Leinart, dumb as that would be.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by yoda76:
Ok, put it this way....

When's the last time an Urban Meyer QB did anything in the NFL....or when is the last time a Florida QB did anything in the NFL....remember....becoming a bust is not "doing something" in the NFL!

Tebow is a project QB, much like Pat White. But I can't remember the last time a white, running QB did anything in the NFL....since 1986 that is.

Every guy is different. You can't group all players that played for meyer or Florida.

There's a whole lot of factors that could come into play.

I don't like Tebow but Urban Meyer and the history Florida QB's has nothing to do with it. Well Urban Meyer may have a smidgen to do with it.
Ok, put it this way....

When's the last time an Urban Meyer QB did anything in the NFL....or when is the last time a Florida QB did anything in the NFL....remember....becoming a bust is not "doing something" in the NFL!

Tebow is a project QB, much like Pat White. But I can't remember the last time a white, running QB did anything in the NFL....since 1986 that is.

That's a valid point, though part of the issue with Meyer's offense is that you don't need a big stud NFL-type QB to run his system to perfection (see Smith and Leak). So you have to look beyond the numbers and look more at the decision-making ability of his QB, his raw athleticism, accuracy, leadership ability and the other intangibles.

Strip away the glitz/glamour of the system, and just look at them as stand-alone athletes/prospects...if you do that, you'll see that Tebow is a very different beast than Meyer's past QB prospects.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Ok, put it this way....

Every guy is different. You can't group all players that played for meyer or Florida.

I don't like Tebow but Urban Meyer and the history Florida QB's has nothing to do with it. Well Urban Meyer may have a smidgen to do with it.

Also when was the last time a Bob Stoops QB made it in the NFL. Or a Sooners QB for that matter
I kind of like Jevan Snead as an nfl QB because I think he plays in a pro style offense. (I havn't broken down the tape yet so I don't know for sue ). But I just cant see a quarterback with a name like Snead being successful in the nfl. I mean there's Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan. Drew Brees, Steve Young, Joe Montana Brett Favre etc etc etc. They all just roll off the tongue. Snead??? Yuck. Colt McCoy sounds utiliterian. in a Trent Dilfer kind of way.

I like Sam Bradford. Imagine "Bradford goes back to pass and fires a beautiful pass to Michael Crabtree down the sideline!! 15-10-Crabtree's summersalting into the endzone and the 49ers have won the suberbowl!!!!! Has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

That's my guy.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I kind of like Jevan Snead as an nfl QB because I think he plays in a pro style offense. (I havn't broken down the tape yet so I don't know for sue ). But I just cant see a quarterback with a name like Snead being successful in the nfl. I mean there's Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan. Drew Brees, Steve Young, Joe Montana Brett Favre etc etc etc. They all just roll off the tongue. Snead??? Yuck. Colt McCoy sounds utiliterian. in a Trent Dilfer kind of way.

I like Sam Bradford. Imagine "Bradford goes back to pass and fires a beautiful pass to Michael Crabtree down the sideline!! 15-10-Crabtree's summersalting into the endzone and the 49ers have won the suberbowl!!!!! Has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

That's my guy.

LOL You could have said "Jordan Taber dropped back to pass..................." If the end result was us winning a superbowl then hell yea it has a nice ring to it!
Originally posted by TX9R:
I'd take McCoy over Bradford, but I think both have their issues. Bradford strikes me as the type who relies a little too much on being the best player on the field and having the most talent around him.

That will be different this year and will be VERY different at the next level. I'm not sure he has the ability to succeed when he doesn't have the advantage of everyone around him being less talented than he or his teammates.

Colt is the opposite, he's less talented physically, but in terms of leadership and mental aptitude, I see him being much more prepared for the NFL. But I'm not sure he has the physical tools as other pro QBs. But that can be developed more than the mental side of the game.

However, I'm also in the camp the in spite of what some critics think, Tebow may be the best of the bunch. The kid is just a gamer and it has nothing to do with gimmick offenses or trick plays. He can't be stopped. And you can't tell me that guys like Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton, and Chad Pennington (just to name a few) have arms SO much better than his that they can hold down starting jobs in the NFL and yet someone with his skills has no shot.

Interesting view on Bradford. The funny thing is look how Bradford's big weapons did in the draft. Inglesias and Johnson both went late. Bradford does have Gresham to throw to but that's about it as big time names go. Also take a look at the line, Loadholt and Duke went later than expected. Both had flaws and weren't exactly great. Cooper went undrafted I believe. Trent Williams was and probably is their best lineman. I just don't think his talent was that unbelievable around him like everyone assumed.

A lot of people slipped in this draft. I look at it like this: He lost more than half of his line and two WRs to the NFL. That's a lot to lose in one off season. Also, where they were drafted has no bearing on how good they may actually be, they could all turn out to be studs, who knows? What he does have going for him is I don't see defenses getting any better in the Big12. Maybe Texas, but they lost most of their Dline. Also, no one is considering Bradford may stay at OU. It sounds ridiculous, but so did staying this year. He's from Oklahoma and is living his dream. He could easily pull a Leinart, dumb as that would be.

No doubt he has lost a lot this year. The O-Line has the talent available but needs to gel quickly. The WR's I happen to be less worried about. Bringing Grisham and Broyles back should allow others to adapt. Watch for Mosis Madu to have a good year in the slot much like Broyles did. They should actually have more athleticism this year than last at the WR spot. OU has never really had an all star WR to work with but they find smart players and coach them well.

OU's Defense on the other hand should be the best since 2000. They have 6 outstanding Dlineman. They will be able to generate a solid pass rush with just their down lineman. It is shaping up to be one of the best dlines I can remember.
Ok, put it this way....

Also when was the last time a Bob Stoops QB made it in the NFL. Or a Sooners QB for that matter

Never.

Atleast the Boz panned out...

That's my guy.

I guess you never heard of Norm Snead. 4 time Pro Bowler, threw for over 30K yards, and played for the Niners for 2 years in 74 and 75. Snead is a well known QB name in the NFL. He always seemed to play for bad teams though and it was a LONG time ago!
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on May 4, 2009 at 1:29 PM ]
  • yoda76
  • Info N/A
Ok, put it this way....

Very true....but Tebow is a 1 read and run QB....just like Vince Young was, except Young is a better scrambler.

Over the last few years in the NFL it seems like the QB's coming out of the pro style offenses have been having the most success. Tebow just seems like a scrambling, system QB to me and he hasn't done anything so far to prove otherwise. Maybe this year he does prove otherwise...we will see.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

That's my guy.

I guess you never heard of Norm Snead. 4 time Pro Bowler, threw for over 30K yards, and played for the Niners for 2 years in 74 and 75. Snead is a well known QB name in the NFL.

If you can't tell this was meant to be satirical and humorous than there's nothing I can do for you there.

It's not so much that the talent around him was unbelievable in terms of being unreal pro prospects, just that as a young college QB, he came into a GREAT situation in terms of the line and weapons he had to work with.

This is the first year he'll really have to deal with underclassmen and/or less talented players at key positions on the offense.

Much like some of the recent USC QBs who have stuggled in the NFL compared to less heralded prospects who were the main reason less talented teams had success while they were there, I tend to trust QBs who have overcome a little more adversity.

This will be a telling year for both Bradford and McCoy. McCoy finally has the experience and weapons (and health hopefully) for this to be THE year, if he's going to prove he's the man. And Bradford can show if it's more him or the team around him.

The biggest difference, when I look at those two and Tebow, is I ask myself, is if Tebow was on Texas or Oklahoma or if either of them were on Florida, who do I think would have won the national championship?

For me the answer is whichever team Tebow was on. For each team it is only a matter of a couple games, but I think Tebow would make a bigger difference on any of those teams than any other player.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by DANADA:
well ill take Bradford

but I want Tebow

Why? He's gonna be terrible.

Hey Apples...I'll bet you $100 Tebow wins a Super Bowl championship before either Bradford or McCoy.

as a QB?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

That's my guy.

I guess you never heard of Norm Snead. 4 time Pro Bowler, threw for over 30K yards, and played for the Niners for 2 years in 74 and 75. Snead is a well known QB name in the NFL.

If you can't tell this was meant to be satirical and humorous than there's nothing I can do for you there.

I understand that.. I was just pointing it out that the Niners actually employed a guy named Snead once.
i want the niners to draft tim tebow if he is there with the 2nd of our 1st
[ Edited by ads_2006 on May 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM ]