LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:
Excuses, excuses.

McCoy started over Snead because he had more experience...
Booty started over Sanchez because he had more experience...

Talent is talent and the coaches see these players play every day. They get at most 4 years plus 1 rs year from these players, why would they sit them?

The fact of the matter is that McCoy came onto the team as an 18/19 year old and was immediately the best QB on the team, which gives him the proper trajectory to become a great NFL QB. Sanchez wasn't the best QB on the team until the mediocre Booty left, that puts him on the Alex Smith trajectory.

Tom Brady

Quote:
He was a backup his first two years while his teammate and future NFL quarterback Brian Griese led the Wolverines to a share of the national championship in 1997
Quote:
At one point, Brady hired a sports psychologist to help him cope with frustration and anxiety and even considered transferring to Cal[7], frustrated by what seemed like a lack of opportunity.[8] Brady battled for the number one quarterback position with Drew Henson and ultimately started every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons

Joe Montana

Quote:
Though Montana was a talented player, he was the seventh-string quarterback in 1974. Additionally, he played just a small number in freshman team games.[11] Montana's first significant contributions to the Notre Dame football team came during his sophomore year
Quote:
When the 1977 season began, Montana was the third quarterback listed on the team's depth chart, behind Rusty Lisch and Gary Forystek.[3] Notre Dame won their season opener and then lost to the University of Mississippi by a score of 20–13. Montana did not appear in either of those games.[13] In their third game of the season, Notre Dame played Purdue University. Lisch started and was then replaced by Forystek. In one play, Forystek suffered a broken vertebra, a broken clavicle, and a severe concussion; it was the last play of Forystek's sports career

Peyton Manning

Quote:
As a freshman, Manning was the third-string quarterback, but injuries to Todd Helton and Jerry Colquitt forced him to take over

Not all good QB's get to start right away!
Excuses, excuses.

Talent is talent and the coaches see these players play every day. They get at most 4 years plus 1 rs year from these players, why would they sit them?

The fact of the matter is that McCoy came onto the team as an 18/19 year old and was immediately the best QB on the team, which gives him the proper trajectory to become a great NFL QB. Sanchez wasn't the best QB on the team until the mediocre Booty left, that puts him on the Alex Smith trajectory.

You should not make any statements yet. So your saying Matt Leinart is a better QB than Matt Cassel? Just because Cassel did not start a game should not mean nothing. USC has too much competition at there school which is why they are always winning the Pac 10. Just because Booty played ahead of Sanchez at USC it does not mean he ain't any good make statements he is going to fail. U can't compare Utah and USC you should slap yourself for that. Sanchez has better tools and mechanics than Booty and you will see that soon with the Jets.
  • yoda76
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by wailers15:
i'm in man. i like him. much bettr than bradford. i do like tebow allot though. i just don't see him being an nfl qb. i still think we should draft tebow though. the guy is a warrior. wildcat!

I like both of them better than Bradford. Bradford lost to McCoy and Tebow I believe they are better under pressure than Bradford who tends to fold.

Tebow will be a situational QB at best. The "Wildcat" craze should have Tebow thanking his lucky stars. It will actually get him behind center in the NFL.

I like McCoy more than Bradford. Bradford put up huge stats with one of the best O-Lines in college football. Now that he's lost some of his help we will see how good he truly is.

McCoy has a good arm, amazing accuracy, very mobile and hasn't had as good of an offense around him either.

But we will see.
Ill pass. I think we'll find our QB this season!!!
  • HebrewWall
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by HebrewWall:

Excuses, excuses.

You have absolutely no perspective on the situation - so dont try to act like it is black and white, when it is much more convoluted than that... I attended USC when Sanchez and Booty were both shooting for the starting job and had several buddies on the team, all of whom possessed the same opinion about the situation:

Sanchez was clearly the more talented of the two both physically and mentally, but Booty had the inside track on the starting job as he had 2 1/2 more years of experience in the system (graduated from High School a year early).

More specifically, they said that Sanchez was a born leader from the day he came in, whereas Booty was quiet and jittery in the huddle and under center - had a serious problem with fumbling snaps - but only during 11 on 11 scrimages.

This always been Pete Carrol's MO... and is currently on display with Aaron Corp being named the started over the much more talented Matt Barkley - who will undoubtedly be the 1st overall pick when he declares.
I'm hoping for Colt. he has a nice quick release, and is very accurate. He knows where to place the ball where only the receiver can get it. he seems to read the field well, and can even run when he needs to. This kid is the real deal and I'm hoping he's available for us with one of our picks next year. If not, I think it would be worth it to use both 1st round picks to move up and get him.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Excuses, excuses.

You have absolutely no perspective on the situation - so dont try to act like it is black and white, when it is much more convoluted than that... I attended USC when Sanchez and Booty were both shooting for the starting job and had several buddies on the team, all of whom possessed the same opinion about the situation:

Sanchez was clearly the more talented of the two both physically and mentally, but Booty had the inside track on the starting job as he had 2 1/2 more years of experience in the system (graduated from High School a year early).

More specifically, they said that Sanchez was a born leader from the day he came in, whereas Booty was quiet and jittery in the huddle and under center - had a serious problem with fumbling snaps - but only during 11 on 11 scrimages.

This always been Pete Carrol's MO... and is currently on display with Aaron Corp being named the started over the much more talented Matt Barkley - who will undoubtedly be the 1st overall pick when he declares.

Heres my perspective on the matter: the NFL is littered with highly drafted one year wonders, ranging from Alex Smith to Akili Smith. The fact is that in the last decade there has never been a QB drafted in the first round who didn't at least start two years in college. Mark Sanchez is breaking new ground, but dozens of other one year wonders have been drafted and have failed. There is no precedent for a highly drafted one year wonder to succeed in the NFL. None.

Maybe Carroll is very conservative and that will be Sanchez's saving grace. Maybe he will be the first QB in the past decade to succeed despite sitting behind someone else for two years. Its unprecedented, but not impossible.

The main point I was trying to make was that if a QB is destined for NFL greatness, he will be on that trajectory from the day he enters college. He will be the best QB on the roster at 18 years old and dominate the competition for 40+ games over his college career.

What I am saying is not radical. If you don't believe what I am saying, look it up. Highly drafted QBs who don't start 3+ seasons in college don't have successful NFL careers. It has never happened. Meanwhile almost every QB who started 3+ seasons in college, thrown for over 60% completion and was highly drafted in the NFL has been very successful.
i'm in man. i like him. much bettr than bradford. i do like tebow allot though. i just don't see him being an nfl qb. i still think we should draft tebow though. the guy is a warrior. wildcat!

I like both of them better than Bradford. Bradford lost to McCoy and Tebow I believe they are better under pressure than Bradford who tends to fold.

LOL Yes he folded so much that he won the Heisman trophy and put up crazy numbers. I guess it was his fault that Florida was a faster and more athletic team than Oklahoma. Yes.. he folded in that Texas game alright. That is if you call 28-39 for 387 yards and 5 TDS folding. They only scored 35 points so I guess he folded under the pressure.

Seriously, you have no credibility at all when you say things like Bradford tends to fold. Trust me.. he will be drafted way ahead of either Tebow or McCoy.

Originally posted by yoda76:

Tebow will be a situational QB at best. The "Wildcat" craze should have Tebow thanking his lucky stars. It will actually get him behind center in the NFL.

I like McCoy more than Bradford. Bradford put up huge stats with one of the best O-Lines in college football. Now that he's lost some of his help we will see how good he truly is.

McCoy has a good arm, amazing accuracy, very mobile and hasn't had as good of an offense around him either.

But we will see.

Texas has a great offensive line too with a tackle that will most likely be a #1 pick this year. Bradford gets discounted because of his line but BOTH players had excellent offensive lines and received wonderful protection.
OMG! He must be the next Steve Young! Holy Crumb!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

But we will see.

Texas has a great offensive line too with a tackle that will most likely be a #1 pick this year. Bradford gets discounted because of his line but BOTH players had excellent offensive lines and received wonderful protection.

You don't watch many Texas games apparently. Last year was one of the worst Olines they've had in a decade. 1 good OT doesn't make for a good line. Colt ran for his life and took a beating most of they year, also they opened no holes and had no running game. They should be improved this year, but last year OU had far and away the best line in the big12.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Excuses, excuses.

Heres my perspective on the matter: the NFL is littered with highly drafted one year wonders, ranging from Alex Smith to Akili Smith. The fact is that in the last decade there has never been a QB drafted in the first round who didn't at least start two years in college. Mark Sanchez is breaking new ground, but dozens of other one year wonders have been drafted and have failed. There is no precedent for a highly drafted one year wonder to succeed in the NFL. None.

Maybe Carroll is very conservative and that will be Sanchez's saving grace. Maybe he will be the first QB in the past decade to succeed despite sitting behind someone else for two years. Its unprecedented, but not impossible.

The main point I was trying to make was that if a QB is destined for NFL greatness, he will be on that trajectory from the day he enters college. He will be the best QB on the roster at 18 years old and dominate the competition for 40+ games over his college career.

What I am saying is not radical. If you don't believe what I am saying, look it up. Highly drafted QBs who don't start 3+ seasons in college don't have successful NFL careers. It has never happened. Meanwhile almost every QB who started 3+ seasons in college, thrown for over 60% completion and was highly drafted in the NFL has been very successful.

You are completely right about pretty much everything. You can't argue with some USC homers when it comes to Sanchez. The main evidence is the fact that almost no Qbs have been successful in the NFL with only one year starting. Cassell is the exception and he was in a perfect situation talent/ coaching wise, and I don't think he's really that good. We'll see in KC.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

But we will see.

You don't watch many Texas games apparently. Last year was one of the worst Olines they've had in a decade. 1 good OT doesn't make for a good line. Colt ran for his life and took a beating most of they year, also they opened no holes and had no running game. They should be improved this year, but last year OU had far and away the best line in the big12.

I dont claim to watch every UT game like I am sure you do. However, UT did have a 1st team All big 12 tackle that many say will be in top 10 in next years draft, and two other lineman that were honored with 2nd team and honorable mention status. It would be surprising that there line would be as bad as you claim and have 3 of their 5 lineman given such lofty praise.

In any case, my point was really more about Bradford than it was about McCoy. Its just ridiculous that anyone would say that the kid folds under pressure. We will see what happens this year but I fully expect Bradford to have another great year and be the first QB off the board next April.
Share 49ersWebzone