There are 243 users in the forums

Which UDFA acquisition are you most excited about?

Which UDFA acquisition are you most excited about?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by kj11aw:
Kory Sheets - poor mans Chris Johnson, will definitely be that change of pace RB for the 49ers.

very poor, homeless, and meth addict mans chris johnson....maybe

Why do you say that??

chris johnson ran a 4.24, this kid ran in the high 4.4's which makes him more like a very poor man's felix jones

I'm not even looking at their 40 times, but more as what they do as a RB. Both are good outside runners, both are patient and have that second gear once they come off their blocks. Only thing Johnson has to Sheets is, proven production in the NFL and elite speed. The styles are comparable, but when I said poor mans, I meant because of the lack of speed of Sheets.

and going undrafted compared to being a first round pick is what i was referring to as a very poor, homeless, and meth addict mans chris johnson....maybe

Oh I get it you were being funny.

that and i dont think this kid has half the talent of chris johnson

Why, cause he doesn't run a 4.24 40?? Or cause he wasn't drafted in the 1st round?? Or because its just your simple opinion and have no other reason or reasons??

because i saw a few Purdue games, and he didnt stand out to me as anything special. becuase he's a terrible pass blocker. because he was the feature back for only one year, and topped 100 yards just three times in that year. because in 5 of his games last year he didnt even reach 4.0 YPC

Johnson was the same in college, only made a break through performance when he was a Senior, wasn't really a good pass-blocker, had some durability issues. And to say Sheets doesn't have half the talent as Johnson, when Sheets has 53 total TD's in his career to what Johnson had in his college career with only 43 total.

Not to mention Sheets was on a fairly poor Purdue team...He was the feature back for three years, and had just as many TD's his freshman year as the feature back for Purdue. He carried the ball close to 800 times and NEVER had a fumble. For an UDFA it could be a lot worse!
  • kj11aw
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by de_cleater_52:
Kory Sheets - poor mans Chris Johnson, will definitely be that change of pace RB for the 49ers.

Why do you say that??

chris johnson ran a 4.24, this kid ran in the high 4.4's which makes him more like a very poor man's felix jones

I'm not even looking at their 40 times, but more as what they do as a RB. Both are good outside runners, both are patient and have that second gear once they come off their blocks. Only thing Johnson has to Sheets is, proven production in the NFL and elite speed. The styles are comparable, but when I said poor mans, I meant because of the lack of speed of Sheets.

and going undrafted compared to being a first round pick is what i was referring to as a very poor, homeless, and meth addict mans chris johnson....maybe

Why, cause he doesn't run a 4.24 40?? Or cause he wasn't drafted in the 1st round?? Or because its just your simple opinion and have no other reason or reasons??

because i saw a few Purdue games, and he didnt stand out to me as anything special. becuase he's a terrible pass blocker. because he was the feature back for only one year, and topped 100 yards just three times in that year. because in 5 of his games last year he didnt even reach 4.0 YPC

Johnson was the same in college, only made a break through performance when he was a Senior, wasn't really a good pass-blocker, had some durability issues. And to say Sheets doesn't have half the talent as Johnson, when Sheets has 53 total TD's in his career to what Johnson had in his college career with only 43 total.

Not to mention Sheets was on a fairly poor Purdue team...He was the feature back for three years, and had just as many TD's his freshman year as the feature back for Purdue. He carried the ball close to 800 times and NEVER had a fumble. For an UDFA it could be a lot worse!

come on. lets be serious.

"...Sheets reportedly had difficulty with the Purdue coaching staff, beginning with a brief benching in 2007 for a fumble problem..."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/04/niners-sign-harris-and-12-undrafted-rookies.html

Why do you say that??

"...Sheets reportedly had difficulty with the Purdue coaching staff, beginning with a brief benching in 2007 for a fumble problem..."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/04/niners-sign-harris-and-12-undrafted-rookies.html

In all seriousness, I guess ESPN is slightly off then! I don't know much about the kid, but i don't think he was a bad pickup at all for an UDFA, and i know he played on a fairly poor Purdue team. He was that team.
ESPN

Why do you say that??

In all seriousness, I guess ESPN is slightly off then! I don't know much about the kid, but i don't think he was a bad pickup at all for an UDFA, and i know he played on a fairly poor Purdue team. He was that team.
ESPN

Yeah, unfortunately, it's been proven that ESPN doesn't have the correct fumble numbers for NCAA players, they are all zero. However, I believe your overall assessment of Sheets, in that he was very good for a sub-par team. I think he's one of the few UDFA I've seen over the years that has the potential to break through, make the roster and do well.
  • kj11aw
  • Info N/A

Why do you say that??

ESPN

of course he was a good UDFA signing...very low risk/high reward....
I was excited when we got Ezra Butler as a UDFA, but he disappointed me. Getting busted for weed. This year it's Alex Boone, which I think he'll be fine. I hope Sheets does well too.

Why do you say that??

ESPN

So...Wouldn't that make you excited..? Maybe just a little?! Knowing we got a guy for near nothing, and he could that is a very big could...be a diamond in the rough!?

• kj11aw
  • Info N/A

Why do you say that??

ESPN

So...Wouldn't that make you excited..? Maybe just a little?! Knowing we got a guy for near nothing, and he could that is a very big could...be a diamond in the rough!?

could be....he could also not find his way off the practice squad...
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I had a hard time deciding between Boone and Sheets. Sheets could be a nice speed back who could break one here and there, but Boone was projected to be a #1 RD pick before the beginning of last season and all his off the field issues; I think Boone could make a great RT or G if he straightens up.

my problem with him is the he could go on a driniking binge and we need him in a playoff game or somthing like that. Sheets got in trouble with stealing books or somthing stupid like that in college everyone is stupid in college but if have a drinking problem then it will become an issue !
  • kj11aw
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I had a hard time deciding between Boone and Sheets. Sheets could be a nice speed back who could break one here and there, but Boone was projected to be a #1 RD pick before the beginning of last season and all his off the field issues; I think Boone could make a great RT or G if he straightens up.

my problem with him is the he could go on a driniking binge and we need him in a playoff game or somthing like that. Sheets got in trouble with stealing books or somthing stupid like that in college everyone is stupid in college but if have a drinking problem then it will become an issue !

coffee was the guy with the book thing....

• kj11aw
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Sorry to be a pain, but for the 50% of people saying Sheets what is the scenario in which he's actually on the gameday roster? Unless Coffee totally falls on his face Sheets' best case scenario with us is that he makes our practice squad.

I'm more intrigued by Boone because on top of having potential there's also a chance of a roster spot for him.

Sheets has experience as a KR too, if he can win that job, then he would probably get 3-5 carries a game to throw defenses off balance with his speed. Speculation of course.

you didnt say one of those jobs

Why would I, everyone knows there's USUALLY two KR when they take the field. Now I feel your just nit picking at me....relax.

i'm not at all. any team can throw two kick returners out on the field but everyone knows that there is one guy who is the primary return man. and the primary return man is going to go get the ball 9 times out of 10, and bring it back. who were our secondary kick return guys last year? walker and robinson? they had 19 returns compared to rossum's 47. rossum also missed 3 games, so i'm sure some of those 19 came from there.

robinson is our best special teams player, so his spot on the gameday roster is safe, and walker is either our second or third TE, so his gameday roster spot looks to be safe as well. i'm sorry but i just dont see this guy logging much playing time as a 4th RB with debateable kick return ability

Dont forget that Robinson would also be our back up FB if Norris goes down. It's safe to say that Gore, Coffee, Robinson, and Norris will be the suited every week and Sheets will take Clayton's role until he can take more of Robinson's roles.

If Sheets beats Clayton out of a job, there is no reason to think he won't be on the active roster. Last year we kept 4 backs on the active roster: Gore, Foster, Robinson, and Keasey. We only kept four because Martz wanted six WRs. Now, our offense is more run oriented. They will keep 5 backs on the active roster most weeks, especially if Sheets proves he can play spaecial teams. He won't be returning kicks, but he needs to learn how to play coverage.

This pretty much says it.

no it doesnt. i'm talking about the gameday roster, where they can only carry 45 players. even if he makes the 53 man active roster, he'll most likely be on of the 8 (or 7 most likely since i see them keeping a 3rd QB on gameday) inactives

That's what he just said ACTIVE ROSTER. But sure he would probably be inactive for a few games, could be a bad week of practice, we're light at one position and need to activate someone form the practice squad. I wouldn't put anything past it.

All this because I see potential in a player.

i know he said active roster, i was referring to the gameday roster. thats about the third time now you have just completely missed what i was talking about...

i know you see potential in this guy, and thats great, but i dont see the same potential. just because he returned a few kicks in college, and was rather mediocre at it, doesnt give me any reason to believe he'll win a return job on this team. i think he'll compete for a spot on the practice squad, but its going to be an uphill battle for him to see any kind of playing time at all.
sorry i dont agree with you.

and i called that long before clayton was lost for the year
Share 49ersWebzone