LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Nate Davis has Dyslexia

• coachh325
  • Info N/A
I think he will do a great job for the 94ers.
Originally posted by coachh325:

• NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by manzano16:

Lmao!
Alex Smith is non-functional until he gets the playbook down.

Nate Davis is functional until he reads the playbook.
I'm wondering how come Alex Smith wasn't checked for dyslexia? He doesn't seem to get it.
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by manzano16:

Lmao!

I feel bad for laughing at this.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
During a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, NFL Network's Mike Mayock said that he heard Davis had a learning disability. "It has nothing to do with his intelligence, just whether he can learn." On Sunday, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn added this:

Not only must Davis overcome his status as a third-year junior but also widespread concern about his ability to handle an NFL playbook. Davis has acknowledged that he is learning disabled, and so it was not a shock when he scored merely 11 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

"(Davis) has a Freeman arm and he was more accurate than Freeman," said Shemy Schembechler, a scout for the Washington Redskins. "I mean, he can throw it. But it will be a different learning process with him that some offensive coordinator is going to have to adjust to if he's going to play for you."

Davis told Chadiha that "I do have a disability, but it's not an issue in football ... I just learn differently than other people. I'm more of a visual learner."

I have no reason to doubt Davis, but I'm not also in a position to pay him millions of dollars to wear a funny uniform and throw a football. In general, NFL personnel types are risk averse, and all else equal, there's no reason to take a chance on Davis when there are safer options. It would be one thing if Davis was a first-round talent, but he sounds destined for a backup job, or possibly even the scout team.

Sometimes, all a player needs is one shot, but as McGinn writes, the odds aren't in Davis' favor:

Although [Davis'] score [of 11] isn't that far off from the NFL average of about 19.5, it is extremely low for a quarterback. In the last 15 years, the only starting quarterbacks with scores of 15 or below have been Vince Young (15), Donovan McNabb (12), Charlie Batch (15) and Kordell Stewart (15). Seattle backup Seneca Wallace had a 10.

Davis sounds like a good kid and a hard worker, and when you hear him speak he's easy to pull for: "I'm willing to do whatever it takes ... I don't care if I'm a first-round guy or if I have to come in as a free agent. All I want is a chance." Thinking positively: if guys like Kyle Boller or Dan Orlovsky can make a living in the NFL holding a clipboard, there's hope.
Link
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Allx9er.
who cares ?
He was worth the gamble. It's a late pick anyway. Like someone mentioned earlier, you should take a QB every draft. You never know. Listening to his interview on 49ers.com doesn't inspire confidence though. He didn't sound very intelligent. We shall see.
I suggest that everyone hold-off on getting too enamored with QB Davis. He will have to make it through waivers to get to the Niners PS at the end of TC. Another team could easily steal him away at that point, esp if he gets some PT in TC and there is good film on him. No way that he beats out the crafty vet, Huard, for the #3 spot on the 2009 roster.

Actually, I see 2009 as the final QB evaluation year for both Hill and Smith. I see McCloughan's move to get the extra #1 pick in 2010, as part of the back-up strategy to trade-up in that draft for the Oklahoma QB kid, if needed.

• imp44791
  • Info N/A
Well, I just hope that when he means to call routes in the huddle, he doesn't say, eg, 774 when he means 747
What's impressive is despite his learning disability, he hasn't let that become an obstacle. He had a very good college career...and I believe Coach Johnson can bring him along to be a productive player when the time's right. I like the pick.
if he was already a college QB, he knew how to learn a playbook.

people with dyslexia just have to work harder than everyone else to keep up. working hard isnt exactly a bad habit to have. if hes got the talent to play the position, his disorder wont get in his way. he'll be fine.
George Lopez had dyslexia

• ninerphan420
  • Info N/A
I wondered why he held the football backwards.....

Only kidding...I work with kids with emotional issues and learning disabilities for a living.

Glad this was revealed early enough and he can get the extra attention he needs. I don't like that we drafted him but what do I know...NOTHING
Share 49ersWebzone