There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Final 256 Board

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
MadDog -

Would you be kind enough to tell us how Crabtree compares to some of the other high profile receivers that have come out of the draft the last few years? Who would you compare him to and what do you think his "bust" potential is.

He is half the talent of Calvin Johnson, but is still better than the vast majority of guys selected in the top 10 picks at WR in the last decade. Here's my listing over the last few years.

2008: No top 10 WR's
2007: A much better selection than Ted Ginn, who adds return ability, but was never a great college WR.
2006: No top 10 WR's.
2005: Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams. Williamson was razor thin, and Williams was too big and slow. Neither were solid picks.

I see Crabtree comparing to Braylon Edwards in nearly every way. Both guys are long, tough, physical WR's, who have the diva attitude, but are productive. Crabtree has better hands.

I see Crabtree as a perennial 1000 yard/10 TD's/year receiver.

Really? thats not that high a compliment considering the 05 draft was supposed to be terrible.

Crabtree was supposed to be the best player in this draft overall before the injury. (Possibly still after) Only Edwards with better hands? I suppose that depends on where you would rate edwards in the current top nfl WRs

Perennial 1,000yrd receiver & 10TD guy? That sounds like a high compliment if you ask me. I will take that every day of the week with the 10th pick.
TonyMantana,

He said he wasn't an expert at picking the exact player at the exact spot. That's what doesn't make this a mock.

It seems like you're confusing yourself.

Example: Kiper does mock drafts, and also has his "big board." The big board isn't a mock. What you're looking at here is more similar to the big board.

I think the problem you might be having is MadDog is doing something very specific, and you're criticizing him for him not doing what you'd rather he be doing (or somehow have convinced yourself he's trying to do).

What's wrong with the guy coming back after the draft each year and showing that he's doing really well in the specific niche he's working in?

More so, let's hypothesize he has a really bad year. So what?
MadDog - you have Glenn Coffee at 156 on your board.

Maybe you posted it in the other threads, but your thoughts on the Niners drafting him at #74?
Mocks are useless.
lol, you had Bear Pascoe pick right! Well, 1 round off.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
MadDog -

Would you be kind enough to tell us how Crabtree compares to some of the other high profile receivers that have come out of the draft the last few years? Who would you compare him to and what do you think his "bust" potential is.

He is half the talent of Calvin Johnson, but is still better than the vast majority of guys selected in the top 10 picks at WR in the last decade. Here's my listing over the last few years.

2008: No top 10 WR's
2007: A much better selection than Ted Ginn, who adds return ability, but was never a great college WR.
2006: No top 10 WR's.
2005: Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams. Williamson was razor thin, and Williams was too big and slow. Neither were solid picks.

I see Crabtree comparing to Braylon Edwards in nearly every way. Both guys are long, tough, physical WR's, who have the diva attitude, but are productive. Crabtree has better hands.

I see Crabtree as a perennial 1000 yard/10 TD's/year receiver.

Really? thats not that high a compliment considering the 05 draft was supposed to be terrible.

Crabtree was supposed to be the best player in this draft overall before the injury. (Possibly still after) Only Edwards with better hands? I suppose that depends on where you would rate edwards in the current top nfl WRs

Perennial 1,000yrd receiver & 10TD guy? That sounds like a high compliment if you ask me. I will take that every day of the week with the 10th pick.

No that was a high compliment your right, I was just thinking Edwards comparison when the 05 draft was supposed to be weak was rather strange, but he did not the better hands, I think he was just saying style of play and build are similar
So MD, what was the final number out of 256?
Curious MD.... I know you didn't like the Davis pick at 171. Who would you have drafted at that spot? Do you like the Niners last 3 picks? I felt the team did a nice job with their UDFAs.....any that you are particularly high on? Thanks, man.
So MD, what was the final number out of 256?

I had 203 players drafted out of the 256 players I projected to be drafted. As stated in the other thread, this number was superior to any of the draft experts, and was far superior to many of the publications that a fair amount of people follow.

My goal was to have less than 50 guys outside my draft board, but this seemed to be a really challenging draft to prognosticate.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Maybe you posted it in the other threads, but your thoughts on the Niners drafting him at #74?

Yeah, I was really too far away. I believed that his textbook cheating scandal would impact his final projection, but the Niners drafted him a lot earlier than I believed.

To me, drafting a backup player with the 74th overall is NOT a good draft strategy. Unless Frank is really used up, Coffee is going to be a spot player. For a team that still needs some fresh starters to take over in the near future, and maybe even in 2009, it was a poor way to approach the draft.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Curious MD.... I know you didn't like the Davis pick at 171. Who would you have drafted at that spot? Do you like the Niners last 3 picks? I felt the team did a nice job with their UDFAs.....any that you are particularly high on? Thanks, man.

I am very high on Georgia Tech OT Andrew Gardner, who was selected only a few picks after Davis by Miami.

Gardner was a two time All-ACC First Teamer, a starter for four years, and he will be versatile enough to play both left and right tackle. His best home is probably suited for RT in the NFL. He's a big guy at 6'7", and has room to stack on weight.

Gardner's stock fell at the end of this season due to a torn labrum, but he's looking to come back very soon. He projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before the injury.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

I am very high on Georgia Tech OT Andrew Gardner, who was selected only a few picks after Davis by Miami.

Gardner was a two time All-ACC First Teamer, a starter for four years, and he will be versatile enough to play both left and right tackle. His best home is probably suited for RT in the NFL. He's a big guy at 6'7", and has room to stack on weight.

Gardner's stock fell at the end of this season due to a torn labrum, but he's looking to come back very soon. He projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before the injury.

Thanks MD..... I take it that the Niners overall draft and UDFA signings didn't really impress you much.

Yeah, I was really too far away. I believed that his textbook cheating scandal would impact his final projection, but the Niners drafted him a lot earlier than I believed.

To me, drafting a backup player with the 74th overall is NOT a good draft strategy. Unless Frank is really used up, Coffee is going to be a spot player. For a team that still needs some fresh starters to take over in the near future, and maybe even in 2009, it was a poor way to approach the draft.

When 49ers traded their 2nd and 4th round pick to the Panthers, I knew that they would have selected a RB with the 3rd round pick. And I knew that they could have reached for a player. They could not wait the 5th round to select a RB, because they had almost nothing after Gore in the depth chart.
Yes, Coffee is the backup, but Gore has healthy issues and this was a badly needed pick. And with Sheets signed as UDFA I think the 49ers are a lot better at RB position than at the start of the draft.
Needs-based, this was a better selection than a project OT, IMHO.

But if Gore gets hurt, we are going to want the insurance. And if spot duty prevents Gore from getting hurt, we still benefit. So, either way it has a positive impact on us going forward.

any concerns that Coffee's upright running style will subject to unnecessary punishment and a short career?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home