There are 138 users in the forums

Post free agency Mock

Not a fan of miller at 15. Would rather have Wynn if we take an Oline player in the first.
I think Miller at 15 is a Massive reach. In all honesty we could probably take Miller with the 33rd pick in this scenario, as I believe he will not go in the first.
Please don't let us trade brown. Even if he's not an ideal fit first mean he isn't a top 5-10 pass blocker. The run blocking can take a bit of a hit but pass pro is way more important
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Solomon was the 6th overall pass rusher and Miller is the 10th best pass blocker. Yes, you are right. They have nothing in common.

Kolton Miller is an early entry to the draft after a strong redshirt junior campaign which saw him surrender only two sacks, eight hits, and six hurries of the quarterback on his 579 pass-blocking snaps

Per Pro Football Focus, Miller allowed just 15 quarterback pressures (two sacks, eight hits, five hurries) on 544 pass-block snaps in 2017, which was good for the site's 10th-best Pass-Block Efficiency score among 121 qualifying offensive tackles. In a pass-happy NFL, Miller's pass-blocking prowess will likely be the main reason he's picked in the first round

5 hurries and 8 hits means Rosen was getting punished?? Good lord.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-kolton-miller-has-a-well-rounded-franchise-left-tackle-skill-set/amp/

I think you are the only person in the world who thinks Miller is a 3rd round pick. Mel Kiper has him going #12 to the Bengals

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/21/17035892/nfl-mock-draft-2018-mel-kiper-bengals-kolton-miller-ucla-bruins

You were talking about his tape?

Miller's tape while protecting potential No. 1 overall pick Josh Rosen's blindside is pretty impressive too.

www.google.ca/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/kolton-millers-strong-combine-could-impact-browns-draft-plans/amp/

UCLA's Kolton Miller, whose film shows an outstanding long blocker who struggles with technique, may have solidified his spot in the first round in Indianapolis.

Miller, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 309 pounds, posted a position-best 1.67-second 10-yard split in the 40-yard dash, posted 24 reps despite having some of the longest arms at the Combine, and jumped 10-foot-1 in the broad jump.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2018-risers-fallers-nfl-draft-indianapolis-nick-chubb-shaquem-griffin-orlando-brown/1dgmslcyncoug1gn7ykwc3sgg0

He is basically a Lane Johnson clone who went #4.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/some-thoughts-on-uclas-kolton-miller

✔@NFLResearch

UCLA offensive lineman Kolton Miller at the 2018 Combine:

- Taller than Calais Campbell
- Heavier than Ndamukong Suh
- Quicker than Carlos Hyde
- Jumps higher than Jamaal Charles@UCLAFootball

1:33 PM - Mar 2, 2018

Coach this kid up on his technique and he will be a dominant offensive tackle.
lots of interesting information here. I'd love to see them get Miller--and he may be a diamond in the rough that shanny wants.

I tend to agree with your underlying point--that Brown is the weak link on the o-line now that Kilgore and Fusco are gone; that he may not be a scheme fit, and his inconsistent performance is a hinderance on the offense that needs to be addressed.

problem I see with your mock tho, is that I don't believe any GM would give up more than a 5th round pick for him at present. Unlike some Webzone posters who either have a man-crush on Brown that blinds them to his faults, or a man-crush on JG that makes them so afraid that he might get hurt that they cannot think straight--other GMs around the league don't have those problems and can see TB's strengths and weaknesses plainly, and probably don't see much to make them change their opinion of a guy who fell to the 7th round of the draft just a couple years ago.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 22, 2018 at 1:55 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
lots of interesting information here. I'd love to see them get Miller--and he may be a diamond in the rough that shanny wants.

I tend to agree with your underlying point--that Brown is the weak link on the o-line now that Kilgore and Fusco are gone; that he may not be a scheme fit, and his inconsistent performance is a hinderance on the offense that needs to be addressed.

problem I see with your mock tho, is that I don't believe any GM would give up more than a 5th round pick for him at present. Unlike some Webzone posters who either have a man-crush on Brown that blinds them to his faults, or a man-crush on JG that makes them so afraid that he might get hurt that they cannot think straight--other GMs around the league don't have those problems and can see TB's strengths and weaknesses plainly, and probably don't see much to make them change their opinion of a guy who fell to the 7th round of the draft just a couple years ago.

I think some people get all tight in the pants over combine numbers and then forget to watch them actually play football. Miller is a solid prospect that has a bunch of technique issues. People yell at me for "reaching" on Landry, but we got guys willing to draft Miller in the top 15?

In any other draft his a day two prospect but will more than likely get overdrafted based on lack of talent at OT.

Steveyoung has been on the bandwagon of trading Brown and that's fine, but moving on from him to draft a project in Miller sure as s**t doesn't improve the team day one imo. Also coming away with no pass rush is a fail in my book, that's are biggest weakness on both sides of the ball imo.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 22, 2018 at 2:50 PM ]

Nice post. I value your opinion.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think some people get all tight in the pants over combine numbers and then forget to watch them actually play football. Miller is a solid prospect that has a bunch of technique issues. People yell at me for "reaching" on Landry, but we got guys willing to draft Miller in the top 15?

In any other draft his a day two prospect but will more than likely get overdrafted based on lack of talent at OT.

Steveyoung has been on the bandwagon of trading Brown and that's fine, but moving on from him to draft a project in Miller sure as s**t doesn't improve the team day one imo. Also coming away with no pass rush is a fail in my book, that's are biggest weakness on both sides of the ball imo.

Leave it to NY to talk some sense into me.

Pass rush and CB and LB. That's where we need to go heavy in this draft.

Someone said we scored 29 PPG with Garappolo last year so we will go D heavy in this draft. I think I'm starting to agree with him.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Solomon was the 6th overall pass rusher and Miller is the 10th best pass blocker. Yes, you are right. They have nothing in common.

Kolton Miller is an early entry to the draft after a strong redshirt junior campaign which saw him surrender only two sacks, eight hits, and six hurries of the quarterback on his 579 pass-blocking snaps

Per Pro Football Focus, Miller allowed just 15 quarterback pressures (two sacks, eight hits, five hurries) on 544 pass-block snaps in 2017, which was good for the site's 10th-best Pass-Block Efficiency score among 121 qualifying offensive tackles. In a pass-happy NFL, Miller's pass-blocking prowess will likely be the main reason he's picked in the first round

5 hurries and 8 hits means Rosen was getting punished?? Good lord.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-kolton-miller-has-a-well-rounded-franchise-left-tackle-skill-set/amp/

I think you are the only person in the world who thinks Miller is a 3rd round pick. Mel Kiper has him going #12 to the Bengals

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/21/17035892/nfl-mock-draft-2018-mel-kiper-bengals-kolton-miller-ucla-bruins

You were talking about his tape?

Miller's tape while protecting potential No. 1 overall pick Josh Rosen's blindside is pretty impressive too.

www.google.ca/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/02/kolton-millers-strong-combine-could-impact-browns-draft-plans/amp/

UCLA's Kolton Miller, whose film shows an outstanding long blocker who struggles with technique, may have solidified his spot in the first round in Indianapolis.

Miller, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 309 pounds, posted a position-best 1.67-second 10-yard split in the 40-yard dash, posted 24 reps despite having some of the longest arms at the Combine, and jumped 10-foot-1 in the broad jump.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.sportingnews.com/ca/amp/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2018-risers-fallers-nfl-draft-indianapolis-nick-chubb-shaquem-griffin-orlando-brown/1dgmslcyncoug1gn7ykwc3sgg0

He is basically a Lane Johnson clone who went #4.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/some-thoughts-on-uclas-kolton-miller

✔@NFLResearch

UCLA offensive lineman Kolton Miller at the 2018 Combine:

- Taller than Calais Campbell
- Heavier than Ndamukong Suh
- Quicker than Carlos Hyde
- Jumps higher than Jamaal Charles@UCLAFootball

1:33 PM - Mar 2, 2018

Coach this kid up on his technique and he will be a dominant offensive tackle.

So von miller is blind too?
Stopped reading after trade the no. 1 pick and Trent Brown
Mock draft season is always a blast.

Originally posted by fan49:
So von miller is blind too?
so refresh my recollection--who does von miller run the draft for?

Nice post. I value your opinion.
thanks--the respect is mutual. I value your willingness to make thoughtful posts even if not always popular with other posters. your posts seem to be concerned with facts and solid football analysis and reasoning, not just the current, popular hype or baseless opinion. thanks again.

Someone said we scored 29 PPG with Garappolo last year so we will go D heavy in this draft. I think I'm starting to agree with him.

Hey I like Miller just not at 15. You know how I feel about Guice that's my boy lol. I like a lot of the dudes you targeted, gottta improve that pass rush end of the day.

All good it would be lame in here if we all liked the same prospects

And that was with Goodwin as a number 1 option. A rookie slot wr and te, and injured ol. 29 ppg is a dam miracle. Only Brady could do that much with so little help. Top 5 in all major categories. Sick.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hey I like Miller just not at 15. You know how I feel about Guice that's my boy lol. I like a lot of the dudes you targeted, gottta improve that pass rush end of the day.

All good it would be lame in here if we all liked the same prospects

Hopefully we won't have another year long debate about a prospect like we did with Solomon though!
thanks--the respect is mutual. I value your willingness to make thoughtful posts even if not always popular with other posters. your posts seem to be concerned with facts and solid football analysis and reasoning, not just the current, popular hype or baseless opinion. thanks again.

Yeah. I stuck to my guns over guys like Kaepernick and Antony Davis. I Got slammed pretty hard over my opinions about them but at the end we saw how that worked out :)

There is just something about Trent Brown. He is a great pass protector no doubt but I just can't see Shanahan giving him a long term deal if he can't do what is needed to make this scheme work. Then throw in the fact that we gave 8 million to his backup over 2 years and it really makes you think. Either they are trying to motivate Brown to come into camp In shape or he will be gone. I don't see any other way to spin it.

So, we might as well trade him while he has some value IMO.

As for Kolten Miller, there aren't too many guys that can do what he does at 6'9 and 310 pounds and if he cleans up his technique he could be special.
Share 49ersWebzone